• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching: SquareBiz! (maybe..)

Over9000chainz

Smash Rookie
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Steve. I've never been "exceptional" at Smash Brothers - frankly I'm only a little better than the bad players in my area because I'm always learning from better ones. With that in mind, I wanna step my game up. I'm most comfortable with Project M, as I have won a few lowbrow local tournaments on PM. I also wanna get into whatever competitive scene launches from Smash 4, either the 3DS or Wii U versions.

I'm not really immersed in the "fighting game community" - in fact the only Fighting game I've ever competitively played was Soul Calibur, and that was just a side hobby. I come from Yu-Gi-Oh, and I want to stray away from 10 years in that game to take on Smash Bros full time. Though card games and video games differ greatly, they have one thing in common: growth. When I started competitive YGO I wasn't very good, but by paying attention to what wins (and what loses) games, learning from my losses (physically writing them down helps) and keeping an open mind, I shaped myself into a competent player. I'm good at learning on the concept of growth, so I think that will come in handy when trying my skills at a relatively new thing.

Enough about the introduction, I'm gonna answer the questions thingy that's on the pinned post.

1. Who do you main in your Smash game(s) of choice? Why? - In my brief playing of Melee, I mained Dr. Mario. I've always liked his projectile, and his Fair is disgusting. DM hit really hard and he had well rounded moves, so he left you with a good number of options. In Project M, I primarily play Sheik*. I know she's leagues better in Melee, but I still like her overall feel in PM. Her Dash Dance is a key part of her gameplay, and she has amazing edgeguarding. She racks up damage pretty fast, setting up for kills with Fair at decently high percentages. I also have a Diddy Kong, but I'm still learning the banana game. In Smash 4, I might continue with Sheik or Dr. Mario.
    • Why have you joined Smashboards? How did you hear about the site? - I joined Smashboards a couple of months ago, because I've been looking to step my game up for a little while. I made a small amount of posts in the Smash 3DS section because I was a little interested in the speculation surrounding the game. I still want to take in whatever advice that has been tried and true, whether it be on actual gameplay or attitude adjustment. I heard about it through a friend.

2. Do you attend tournaments? Do you want to? - I have gone to a couple of very small PM tournaments within my area. I live on Long Island in New York, more specifically the Hempstead area. I haven't known other Smash players in my area with an excessive desire to get better at the game, so I've been unable to travel. Now that I have met some newer people, I look forward to hitting up tournaments in the NYC/NJ area.
  3. Interests. Well I guess I shouldn't have spilled everything before lol. But yeah, long time Yu-Gi-Oh player mostly. I used to play competitive Pokemon, but I've fallen out and only play Singles now. I used to play Gears of War, but I couldn't play at MLG level because I was legally too young to purchase an M rated game. I look forward to going back now that I'm 18.
  4. The only other communities I exist within are Yu-Gi-Oh.

The title is because one of my favorite songs to play video games to has always been Square Biz by Teena Marie. It seems like a ridiculous song to play to, and I actually don't like the song that much anymore, but recently meeting up with some of my older elementary school friends taught me that they still associate me with that song. As a result, I thought it'd be nice to keep in mind when I'm trying to come up for a nickname for myself. But the name is the least important, once I get better skills I can fathom some sort of cool alias. Not as cool as Dr. Peepee, but a great name.

So that's it. If you actually read this, what are some good tips to help me get started in the right direction?​

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
If you love Yugioh, you should invest some of your time in it as well, it's always great to be good at another thing. I love Smash, Street Fighter, Vs Capcom and Pokémon, and I invest my time correctly. If you're great at something, keep doing it. But if something else catches your eye, try it and still do what you do best :)

Welcome back to Smash Boards, and Happy Smashing!

Over9000chainz

Smash Rookie
If you love Yugioh, you should invest some of your time in it as well, it's always great to be good at another thing. I love Smash, Street Fighter, Vs Capcom and Pokémon, and I invest my time correctly. If you're great at something, keep doing it. But if something else catches your eye, try it and still do what you do best :)

Welcome back to Smash Boards, and Happy Smashing!
Thank both of you guys!

As for Yugioh, I'll still keep my deck and probably deckbuild in the future but I think it's time I tried something new in my life, you know? Besides, not having a console to practice Smash on at the moment means that I'll have to pull double time when I buy another Wii, as well as starting the midnight of Smash 3DS. I'm not touching another Yugioh card until my SHFF(L) approaches are on point lol.

MrLsGreenShocker

Smash Rookie
Welcome! Look forward to battling you in Smash as you grow as a competitor. I'm terrible, but hope to get better on the new games.

Top Bottom