• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaingrabbing vs Fox/Falco

johannJK

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing chaingrabbing against spacies and have noticed that the window between performing an up throw and being able to grab again is pretty small. A lot of the time, when I try to grab again with Z, I end up light shielding instead of performing a grab. My controller is on its last legs but I assume that it's a tech skill flub. Can I get any tips to eliminate this problem?

Scrubloard69

Smash Rookie
This used to happen to me a ton until I changed my controller, it has nothing to do this your tech skill as I used to think. Also make sure your jump cancel grabbing as that make your grab faster. I suggest you watch this video by ssbm tutorials for more information about chain grabing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEcRDiOSqk hopefully this helps!

johannJK

Smash Rookie
This used to happen to me a ton until I changed my controller, it has nothing to do this your tech skill as I used to think. Also make sure your jump cancel grabbing as that make your grab faster. I suggest you watch this video by ssbm tutorials for more information about chain grabing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEcRDiOSqk hopefully this helps!
thank you very much

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
While a controller change could help, this is simply a thing you'll have to grind out. Light shield when attempting to grab is a result of pressing Z while in another animation, meaning you're pressing while you're still in Marth's Up-throw animation. Marth's arm will come down when his Up-throw animation ends, so you can use that as a cue to input your next grab. If you have 20XX, you can go into the debug menu and turn on the Color Overlay for Idle (Wait) which marks when your character is "waiting" for input by coloring it green. You can use this to work on your timing by grinding it out until you see only a frame of green, or no green at all with perfect timing.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
JC your grab does NOT make it come out faster. This is only the case when you would otherwise have done a running grab.
It goes standing grab < JC grab < running grab
When you're chaingrabbing at that low percent, do regular grabs, or else you're wasting another frame in jump squat mode

Scrubloard69

Smash Rookie
JC your grab does NOT make it come out faster. This is only the case when you would otherwise have done a running grab.
It goes standing grab < JC grab < running grab
When you're chaingrabbing at that low percent, do regular grabs, or else you're wasting another frame in jump squat mode
I meant if your doing dash grabs if they DI away.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
I meant if your doing dash grabs if they DI away.
This is true, but you won't need to dash to regrab until 18% if I'm not mistaken. But you (directed at OP) definitely want to use standing grab if possible without JC if they are close enough. I found that for a long time I was flubbing my turnaround grabs when they DI'd behind at lower percents because I was trying to JC every grab, and the jump squat would cancel my turnaround so I would just grab the same direction I was already facing. This realization helped my CG consistency tremendously.

Top Bottom