• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaingrabbing Skills

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
I want to improve my chaingrabbing skills since that is a very important staple to Dedede play style. I'm very used to dash grab chaingrabbing and I've read that Shield-Grabbing is more effective.

Can anyone tell me a good method to practice it? Training mode? Level 9 Cpus? Level 1 Cpus? something to get me in the habit of it.

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
What skills? This is D3's chaingrab.
Either, its Wi-Fi, or I'm slow, but I notice some people can spot dodge or sometimes just get out of my CG whenever I start it, and It's even on characters I'm sure that I can CG, so I thought it might be because I dash grab instead of shield-grab, input on this?

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
My advice is to either pick dash-grabbing or shield grabbing and perfect either one because they have different timings. Pick whichever your more comfortable with. To practice go to training mode on any stage with a level 9 cpu (for me i chose marth) and set it to attack. Just proceed to stand at one end of the stage get a grab in and chaingrab across the stage. Most lvl 9 cpus will manage to spotdodge if you screw up.

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
My advice is to either pick dash-grabbing or shield grabbing and perfect either one because they have different timings. Pick whichever your more comfortable with. To practice go to training mode on any stage with a level 9 cpu (for me i chose marth) and set it to attack. Just proceed to stand at one end of the stage get a grab in and chaingrab across the stage. Most lvl 9 cpus will manage to spotdodge if you screw up.
Thanks I'll try this, I read that shield-grabbing is better than dash grabbing is this true? Because I do like dash grabbing a lot more, and I read that shield-grabbing has more range.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't know if shield grabbing has more range. With shield grabbing you can get in more grabs across the stage. Dash grabbing is just less inputs.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
you're probably chain grabbing a little late. face a easily chain grabbable CPU lvl 9 character, Bowser would do fine. chain grab and run forward instantly and regrab earlier than you usually would. Different characters take more running distance to regrab, marth is especially hard. practice on different characters you will notice this. Good luck with chain grabbing! i hope i helped xD

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
From what I have read the reason it is better to sheild cancle is because if you dash grab and miss you are open for a attack? where as shield grabbing you won't be as easy to get a hit if you miss the grab. Hope this helps.

Astrokirby

Smash Cadet
I just do the Running grab. The shield-grabbed one is harder for me, because either I do it too early, or my shield input doesn't register.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
In my opinion, you should learn SCGs. They aren't necessary, but they leave you a less open if you happen to whiff some attack. It's a tiny bit harder (oh no, I have to push two extra buttons and follow a rhythm) but it's quite worth it. Also make sure to do your grab attack between grabs, you want to be sure that you get every little percent out of those chains.

Staco

Smash Champion
you can pick mindgames into your chaingrab
I somtetimes walk to the opponent (not running)
he makes a spotdodge, and I can grab him, without slipping to far away

I tried the same with turnaround grabbing
running behinde your opponent, instead of grabbing him, he spot dodges, and I pivotgrab him
but it didnt work up to now, maybe I have got the wrong timing

Top Bottom