• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Throw Beginner

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
I want to spend some time getting better with Sheik. Are there any general pointers to help me figure out the chain grab I see she has? I've tried here and there and can never seem to connect.

Thanks guys!

Couth

Smash Rookie
Well it doesn't work on the whole cast. It doesn't work on fast fallers or really light characters. If you can practice in friendlies it would be ideal to get different di, but if you can't, you can use a lvl 3 CPU to get at least 2. Just be wary that people won't always switch between di-ing in and di-ing away. Also learn to jump cancel grab and boost grab. Those help a lot.

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
Well it doesn't work on the whole cast. It doesn't work on fast fallers or really light characters. If you can practice in friendlies it would be ideal to get different di, but if you can't, you can use a lvl 3 CPU to get at least 2. Just be wary that people won't always switch between di-ing in and di-ing away. Also learn to jump cancel grab and boost grab. Those help a lot.
Thanks for the input. Anything you can recommend in the area of timing or anything, or is it really just a matter of practicing and getting the feel for it?

Couth

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input. Anything you can recommend in the area of timing or anything, or is it really just a matter of practicing and getting the feel for it?
I'm not near my game right now, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt, but from what I can picture in my brain, you should start your dash when they are at their peak height if the bounce. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but when they di inward, you can wait for the smallest of fractions of seconds, until they hit their max height and then dash and jump cancel grab. When they di outward, you need to start your dash as soon as possible. Once you start getting the feel for it you can tell when you're late on the dash and that's when you know you need to boost grab. If that doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it better, but I'm in class right now >.>

A key component I believe is your ability to react to the various options. If you expect certain things you can react more quickly and effectively. If you are surprised by something your reaction is slower and might not be the wisest decision when you make it. So, if you understand your options on punishes the better you will be at being consistent and getting the most out of your grab.

For example, I believe you cannot CG Sheik until a certain percent. Therefore, you might realize instead of going for a grab to just prepare to tech chase instead untilI that percentage threshold is reached. Afterwards you can recognize that sheik's dthrow naturally sends someone forward rather than behind Sheik. Therefore, if anyone does a DI which goes behind you you typically only need to turn around while on DI away you might have to dash forward to make a connection after the Dthrow.

So in spirit of what I just said I think its useful to also recognize when someone might be able to reach a platform to ruin the chain grab or better yet who can you even chain grab in the first place. I think the more information you can consider at a given point during each dthrow gives you a better way to consistently keep your punishes high with her dthrow. The move is pretty slow and you can think about quite a bit of stuff during that dthrow time.

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
I'm not near my game right now, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt, but from what I can picture in my brain, you should start your dash when they are at their peak height if the bounce. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but when they di inward, you can wait for the smallest of fractions of seconds, until they hit their max height and then dash and jump cancel grab. When they di outward, you need to start your dash as soon as possible. Once you start getting the feel for it you can tell when you're late on the dash and that's when you know you need to boost grab. If that doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it better, but I'm in class right now >.>
I see what you are saying and it makes sense. I think once I'm at my game and can actually try things out I will be able to experience this more and get the feel for it.

A key component I believe is your ability to react to the various options. If you expect certain things you can react more quickly and effectively. If you are surprised by something your reaction is slower and might not be the wisest decision when you make it. So, if you understand your options on punishes the better you will be at being consistent and getting the most out of your grab.

For example, I believe you cannot CG Sheik until a certain percent. Therefore, you might realize instead of going for a grab to just prepare to tech chase instead untilI that percentage threshold is reached. Afterwards you can recognize that sheik's dthrow naturally sends someone forward rather than behind Sheik. Therefore, if anyone does a DI which goes behind you you typically only need to turn around while on DI away you might have to dash forward to make a connection after the Dthrow.

So in spirit of what I just said I think its useful to also recognize when someone might be able to reach a platform to ruin the chain grab or better yet who can you even chain grab in the first place. I think the more information you can consider at a given point during each dthrow gives you a better way to consistently keep your punishes high with her dthrow. The move is pretty slow and you can think about quite a bit of stuff during that dthrow time.
So I'm seeing positioning is a huge part of this. That's good to know. I suppose my reaction times will just get better with time. This is very helpful, thank you.

Top Bottom