• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grabs

Chevy

Smash Ace
What I do is set the cpu in training mode to control and just DI away with my toe on the second controller. Assuming you don't just get someone to help.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
What I do is set the cpu in training mode to control and just DI away with my toe on the second controller. Assuming you don't just get someone to help.
Thats a pretty smart idea, thanks for mentioning it.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Did some testing, working on a list. These are the DI and approximate percent necessary to guarantee a re-grab. Anything other than what I posted can be jumped out of or otherwise trivially escaped. These are all done with D-throw.

:wario:: DI in < 20%
:mario2:: N/A
:luigi2:: N/A
:peach:: N/A
:bowser2:: N/A
:yoshi2:: N/A
:dk2:: no DI or DI in < 8%
:diddy:: no DI or DI in < 35%
:falcon:: DI in < 90%
:wolf:: no DI or DI in 65% - +200%
:fox:: DI in: 90% - +200%
no DI: 100% - +200%
:falco:: DI in: 70% - +200%
no DI: 80% - +200%
:popo:: DI in: < 10%

:zelda:: N/A
:sheik:: N/A
:link2:: N/A
:toonlink:: DI in: < 60%
no DI: < 40%
:ganondorf:: N/A
:mewtwopm:: N/A
:lucario:: N/A
:pikachu2:: DI in: < 25%
no DI: < 40%
:jigglypuff:: N/A
:squirtle:: N/A
:ivysaur:: N/A
:charizard:: N/A
:samus2:: N/A
:zerosuitsamus:: N/A
:lucas:: DI in: < 60%
no DI: < 70%
:ness2:: DI away: < 40%
:pit:: N/A
:kirby2:: N/A
:metaknight:: DI in: < 100%
no DI: < 50%
:dedede:: N/A
:ike:: N/A
:marth:: N/A
:roypm:: DI in: < 70%
no DI: < 10%
:olimar:: N/A
:rob:: N/A
:gw:: N/A
:snake:: N/A
:sonic:: DI in: < 20%
no DI: < 10%
DI away: < 10%

These were the minimum percents that I found they could be escaped at. Sometimes, they will go longer if your opponent doesn't react properly, or randomly the jump doesn't happen, it's weird. Anyway, it should provide a decent idea of when you can re-grab most the cast.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Mostly, except Ness, his double jump doesn't get him away in time if he DIs away.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
so I was told at tourney saturday, you can chaingrab both ness and metaknight from 30-60%, anyone wanna test these %s out?

Chevy

Smash Ace
so I was told at tourney saturday, you can chaingrab both ness and metaknight from 30-60%, anyone wanna test these %s out?
I tested all of them already, they percents in my list should be fairly accurate. You might be able to get away with different percents/DI if your opponent is negligent.

Litt

Samus
hahah yeah but even if they are, and DI away as far as possible, you can just read the tech into another grab ;P

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
I "chain grab" this metaknight literally at any percents. Usually two or three regrabs until they remember to DI away so I chase with an upsmash. It works well into the mid 80s. It's pretty funny too. Everyone forgets that Samus can regrab.

Last edited:

DoctorFS

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure in the case of Lucas that the regrab is not guaranteed. After seeing the video of ESAM getting regrabs on Pink Fresh at Xanadu my friend and I tried to make it work and even at 0% Lucas can DI away from the straight regrab, and even the tech chase from when he hits the ground isn't that great. If your timing is good you can catch someone with no DI for a few regrabs, but it's really just a sign that they don't know the matchup IMO.

Edit: tried to post this before a bunch of other people replied, not sure why my comment took so long to show up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom