• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grabbing vs Wobbles

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Recently I've gotten to really like the ICs and am trying to pick them up as a main because they are much more fluent and easy to play than other middle-high tier characters (I typically favor low tier characters, but the few upper tier I've learned are Shiek and Falco). Anyways, a couple questions.

First, what is the reason that one would, after succesfully grabbing an opponent, choose to throw into a chain grab rather than instantly kill them with the infinite? Initially I was thinking "mindgames", but why would you need them if they are going to be killed anyways? Any decent player will avoid being grabbed by the ICs at all costs, so it isn't like chain grabbing makes future Wobbles easier to perform. Is there any real reason to CG rather than infinite other than for pure flashiness?

My other question is what other chains can they do other than the standard d-throw --> dair/fair/blizzard? I've been trying out different variations of the d-throw to utilt and have found that if you can manage to catch them on the side of Nana's utilt, they won't be affected by the knockback hit and will instead be stunned and fall back to Popo's clutch. The only problem is that it's completely inconsistent because half of the time Nana is in a different position and will either miss or hit the 'sweetspot' (in which case you can keep tapping A to rack up some extra damage). What other ones are out there? Edit: And I know there are some like F-throw chasing Bowser and d-throw to d-smashing Shiek... I'm looking for less character specific ones.

Also, Wobbles the Phoenix posted something about an almost infinite chain grab when you're at the edge of a platform, but I can't figure out how to even attempt it. :/

Thanks.

pchoo

Smash Cadet
One reason you might chain throw is because Wobbling is banned at tournaments in some areas. Another reason would be if your secondary climber isn't in the right position to begin a wobbles, but is in good enough position to carry out a chain throw... like if Nana is too far in front to have her tilt land, you can probably still dthrow-dair or dthrow-dsmash.

The infinite at the edge relies on good reflexes. If the secondary iceclimber grabs the opponent and you're at the edge, then it will throw the opponent out off the edge. Also, if you time a grab right, you can grab the opponent right as he/she leaves your partner's hands... so you can:
1) grab someone near the edge,
2) throw towards the edge,
3) have your partner grab them,
4) wait for your partner to throw,
5) grab right after the throw
6) repeat from step 2.

Kinda hard to pull off though, since nana sometimes randomly throws in a grab-attack or two... hence the requirement of good reflexes.

You can d-throw -> dsmash (generally use c-stick, so you throw and smash at about the same time).

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
You want to chain grab because occasionally opponents wiggle out too quickly to start an infinite. If you d-throw immediately instead of wait for Nana to re-sync after the grab and you land a d-throw d-air, you can have her re-synced to start an infinite.

Of course, ordinary d-throw chaingrabs can let you prepare for an infinite even when Nana is on the other side of the level, so that's cool.

Lastly, the reason an opponent would wiggle and mash their way out of a grab is because they assume you're going to infinite. If they think you're focused on chaingrabs, they'll prepare for DI and smash DI instead. Mixing them up even a little can get you more infinites then purely aiming for infinites alone.

Yeah, and people ban the infinite because they're silly, but if they're running the tournament, then you have to just accept it. I don't know why they bother though. Seems like I'm the only person who ever does it anyhow :/

psicicle

Smash Ace
Basically, chain grabs are easier to start most of the time than the infinite.

pockyD

Smash Legend
how would you "protest"

wobbling has had its time in the sun; it's time to accept that some people can't handle it

it is LEGAL at FC btw, so it's not like EVERYONE is banning it

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Watch the Avalanche IC video. And some find the infinite "cheap" if I'm not mistaken Chu Dat doesn't even wobble.
Know that he wobble'd me after I did it to him. But Nana broke it up after about 100% or so. :laugh:

But yeah as stated, that main reason not to wobble would be position and banning. Although I'm not frequent poster or just plain well known in general, I do have an essay in the works on why Wobbling should NOT be banned. Hopefully, it might make some difference....

Banks

Smash Hero
wobbles is starting to be banned anyway. you might as well play the game rather than waste experience and practice tapping the a button for 2 minutes

Top Bottom