• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grabbing in Friendlies?

thf24

Smash Cadet
Relative newbie here... I've never heard that chain grabbing spacies was frowned upon in friendlies in the same way that, say, wobbling is in many places. I personally wouldn't think so it is since it's harder than wobbling and not guaranteed past a point, and I'd think people would understand the need for practice against a real opponent. But, after recently adding it to my arsenal and trying to implement it, friendlies opponents in my local scene get visibly irritated at it in the same way they do when our resident IC's player who doesn't give a f starts wobbling. Are they just being irrationally salty, or is the chain grab actually considered disrespectful in friendlies?

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I think you should chaingrab, because it's good for practicing it. If they don't like it, then they should find out how to beat it instead of complaining.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Chaingrabs are as valid a tactic to accrue percentage on the opponent as comboing him.
Quite a few people do consider wobbling, excessive bair spam by a certain pink ball, or chain grabs 'boring'. However, nobody can force you to play flashy, not even in friendlies. Sadly, you can't force them to play friendlies with you either, so in some cases you might be better off not relying on these things too much.
I'd still guess that most people won't run away when you approach the setup. Especially if you just mention that you aren't happy with the state of your chain-grabbing and could really use the practice. ;) (at least that's what I did when I was feeling a bit shaky with the consistency of my chaingrabbing, back when I still mained Peach)

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
It's part of the meta. If they can't deal with it, then that's their fault. Chaingrabbing is a pretty much guaranteed 40 or 50% on spacies. Saying that CGing shouldn't be done in friendlies is like telling Falco not to pillar Fox on FD. It's their fault for getting stuck in the combo, and it's not like it's extremely easy to do like a lot of people want to say it is.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
for the record I get up and run from the setup anytime a mid tier main decides to wreck my friendlies rotation so its not unheard of. definitely wouldn't leave the setup because I'm being cgrabbed or bair spammed though

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
It is completely OK to chaingrab in friendlies. Like others said it is good to practice it and can be also good for the opponent to figure out how to escape chaingrabs.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't think they are willing to arbitrarily nerf their own options, like shining, so I don't see why you should limit your own. Part of the reason why Marth can compete with the spacies IS the chain grab. It allows Marth to keep up with all the junk that Falco and Fox have on him. Even on platform stages, the low height on the throw sets a lot of things up, and you can still chain throw in the center at lower percents.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Not disrespectful at all.
If you're gonna play against marth on fd as a spacey better be sure you're gonna get chaingrabbed

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
The only time I would look at chaingrabbing negatively in friendlies is if you're playing with someone that is significantly below your skill level. They won't really be learning anything and you could pretty much get the same practice playing in training mode. When I'm playing with new players, I usually use the time to focus on some of the newer techniques I'm trying to implement into my game, since they likely won't be pressuring me as hard. But as a rule, no one should be getting upset about how hard a person is playing in friendlies; if you're at an event, you should be looking to improve.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
They'd have to be pretty far below your skill level, and in fact I'd argue that if they are at a certain point in skill it becomes detrimental to not do it. There are two reasons for this:

1: How does not chain throwing prepare them to face other Marth players in the future? You can chain throw them, but also explain the dynamics of chain throwing and how to escape, while you play or in between matches. Your opponent is not helpless and has options, teach them that.

2: How many Marth players get M2K level 0 to deaths from chain throwing? Hell, I've been working on it for years now and my consistency to pull something like that off is pretty low. Yeah, I can generally rack up some percent, but in reality it's usually around 30-40%. That's like what, a couple of hits?

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'd also like to add is that after about 30, it really stop being a chaingrab, and is just like most other combos.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
One thing I'd also like to add is that after about 30, it really stop being a chaingrab, and is just like most other combos.
Personally, I still consider it a CG until the utilt regrab shenanigans are through. I see your point, though.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
You can keep the chain grab up well beyond 30, and in fact unless your opponent DI's so that the utilt regrab lands perfect I'd suggest that it's better to keep chaining them until you can uair.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
personally, i always feel like im letting my opponent down if i mess up my up-throw followups.

all that said, the chaingrab isn't free, its hard as **** if your opponent actually knows how it works, and if you miss the timing you get shined for your troubles. spacey privilege in action, chaingrab away, if you have the execution to 0-death fox, you've earned the **** out of that stock.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
You can keep the chain grab up well beyond 30, and in fact unless your opponent DI's so that the utilt regrab lands perfect I'd suggest that it's better to keep chaining them until you can uair.
They can jump out with no DI pretty soon after.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Jump, fade back, uair.
Followed by a potential tipper f-smash, or if they are too high up you can always try for a weak fair > follow up, which could still land a tipper fsmash, but more likely would involve just pushing them off stage with aerials for an edge guard.

n9neball

Smash Rookie
I don't see how it's unfair or disrespectful, it's a tactic to be used in the game that one should know how to get out of.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
You should be chaingrabbing if you want to win. Think like HBox. He uses the same Bair space strategy, and while it may be seen as unfair and cheap, it's how the metagame works. If going against a space animal you'll want to be chaingrabbing if you want to win.

Top Bottom