• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grab Resource (WIP)

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Click here for the spreadsheet!

Page 1 is for dthrow, page two is upthrow (they're titled accordingly).

I thought this deserved its own thread if we're going to really do this. I made a google doc spreadsheet that should cover pretty much everything about Ganon's chaingrabs... but I need help filling it in! I'll be working on it over the next few weeks, and hopefully others will as well. It won't be empty for long :estatic:

IMPORTANT!!!
1. Don't add, delete, or change information from the spreadsheet until you've tested it with a human player on the grabbed character.

2. Read the description of the columns below to make sure you post correct info in the correct place.

3. Please also post in this thread with any changes you make as well so that someone else (hopefully) can confirm them. If this will reliable, I'd like to have some redundancy :p

4. This is a very big project, and not every box needs to be filled. Even just % ranges for each character would be awesome. Everything else is just extra info for us to know :colorful:

I'm open to any questions or suggestions about the format of the spreadsheet.

Here's a description of the columns in the spreadsheet in case they are not clear enough:

Rough #'s and Untested Info: Simple enough, general stats, that people give out that aren't thoroughly tested. For tested characters, it can be a quick reference.

Character: Character Name

Min. % for re-grab: Minimum percent that you can dthrow >> re-grab assuming the thrown character tries to escapes optimally (DI, attacks, air dodge, or anything else)

Max. % for re-grab: Maximum percent that you can dthrow >> re-grab assuming the thrown character tries to escapes optimally (DI, attacks, air dodge, or anything else)

Movement Required for re-grab: Any movement required to re-grab after a dthrow. For example, having to turn around or dash grab to re-grab the thrown character (make sure to include if the movement is specific to an escape method [DI]).

DI that escapes: Any DI that the grabbed character can use to escape a re-grab. (Include DI that can be counteracted by movement, but mention it)

Attacks that escape/knock away: Any attacks than can knock Ganon out of a re-grab attempt (usually very quick attacks like Peach's nair) or can be used to escape. An example would be Mewtwo's teleport if he could use it to escape (not really). Do not include any attacks past the maximum re-grab % range, meaning only include the best option for each character to escape with.
Useful Guaranteed follow up attacks: Attacks GANONDORF can follow up with after a dthrow regardless of grabbed character's escape tactics. Include percentages for each attack. Not every possibility needs to be included, only "useful" attacks, or the best few options.
Useful Situational follow up attacks: Attacks GANONDORF can follow up with after a dthrow with specific DI from the opponent. Include percentages for each attack. Not every possibility needs to be included, only "useful" attacks, or the best few options. Examples are punishes for common escape methods or reads that lead to kills.
Follow up attacks that lead to re-grab: Attacks GANONDORF can follow up with after a dthrow that can lead to a re-grab. Include percentages/DI required. Ex. D-throw > jab > grab on Dedede from 0%-34%.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
hopefully i can help with this eventually. don't have easy access to human players in an environment where i can test stuff like this too often : /

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
hopefully i can help with this eventually. don't have easy access to human players in an environment where i can test stuff like this too often : /
No worries, anything you can contribute whenever you can will be appreciated.

I have one friend who I am sure would help, but he is going to a camp and counseling till Friday... I do wanna help with this though!
Great! Like I said, this is a big project and I don't expect it to be done this week :p

WickedWarlock

Smash Rookie
Don't have anyone to help with this but I just wanted to say this is amazing and I actually really wanted to see something like this, so thank you!

Just some thoughts on the categories: for the DI dependent follow ups and regrabs maybe you should add sections for each direction, at least left and right anyways! Also I don't believe Ganon has any attacks that lead into a regrab, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Don't have anyone to help with this but I just wanted to say this is amazing and I actually really wanted to see something like this, so thank you!

Just some thoughts on the categories: for the DI dependent follow ups and regrabs maybe you should add sections for each direction, at least left and right anyways! Also I don't believe Ganon has any attacks that lead into a regrab, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
That may be a good idea. My plan for the DI follow ups was for people to put what direction and what follow up, but that might get crowded :p I'll try a few characters and see if it would work better in multiple columns.

I'm not 100% sure about the re-grabs, but I was thinking about how sometimes you can get a dair on the ground into a grab at low percents. Hopefully we'll know for sure soon :laugh:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thanks to @Limbose for helping with the first two characters so far, Dedede and Peach!

Dedede: Upward DI can escape from all d-throw chain grabs, but it's relatively hard to do. If he does consistently, you can just dair him pretty easily. Neutral air is also a good follow up, at lower percents both hits can connect.
A neat thing I found is that you can dthrow > jab > re-grab from 0%-34% (as long as he doesn't DI away on the throw and the jab).

Peach: Nothing good here. :( She can nair out of down throw at 0% past the limit where she's at enough % to jump away from any followups (79%). Up smash will connect at low percents (0%-24%), though, and you can safely go for a full jump dair as long as she's under 87% (74% if they jump) and you are very precise putting in the jump and dair.

Slight change to the spreadsheet: Guaranteed and DI dependent follow ups have been changed to "Useful Guaranteed" and "Useful Situational" follow ups. It's pretty pointless to list every single attack that can always connect; it makes more sense to note attacks that are... useful. For most characters this will probably be some combination of dair, fair, any smashes that can connect at a wide range of percents, and anything that can lead to other attacks or re-grabs. Useful stuff :p

One last note (will update OP): While a lot of follow ups or re-grabs might not be frame perfect safe, we have to remember that we play against people, not machines. Anything that is easy to moderately difficult should be noted as such, but anything difficult to frame perfect can be treated like it's impractical (unless it's so incredibly good it's worth going for).

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, i can't be very specific since this is anecdotal information from a fest last night, so mostly just to ballpark and get finagled to exact percents later:
you can dthrow cg wario from 0 to about 35 or 40. past that area, he gets to jump away from you.

you can totally dthrow cg roy from 0 to stupid high. i got greedy and tried to land a double hit usmash (didn't work...) at around 45 or 50, but i could've kept grabbing. no idea what the true max percent is, as i didn't react fast enough on subsequent first grabs after that.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, thanks for posting.

I'm starting to think that it be a good idea to have "rough" numbers on the spreadsheet for each character as well, at least until they have detailed info.
Does anyone have an opinion on that?

A "quick reference" column might be another good addition: it could just say throw to X% then fair or whatever.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Added a rough estimates column for each character and filled it out with what I could find in the forums. Anything else you know, please contribute! Rough numbers will now help :D

Top Bottom