• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Celebrating 10 years of Smash Bros... and bad advice from Game Informer!!!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Link to original post: [drupal=1502]Celebrating 10 years of Smash Bros... and bad advice from Game Informer!!![/drupal]

Hey, everyone. My first "blog" post is really just a commemoration. 10 years ago today, I got my first issue of Game Informer magazine, entirely because they had a pre-release featurette on Super Smash Bros. They were in such a hurry to get their review and strategy guide on paper, they actually reviewed the Japanese version.

I will say one thing in Game Informer's defense: back during this era, Game Informer was a lot more fair, balanced, and enjoyable to read. Just the same, their perspectives on this game are great for a few laughs. Let's take a look at their 6-page review and "strategy guide" together!

First, we take a look at their cover story review. I don't have a lot of commentary on it. I'll save that for later.

Now, here's where things get REALLY funny. On the next couple of pages, Game Informer writes a movelist and character guide. You'll get the most laughs out of what they say for Link, Fox, Jigglypuff, and Ness.

Okay, so we have our chuckles at how badly they estimated the worth of these characters, but one thing was actually quite impressive. Say what you will about Game Informer (please), but did they do a phenomenal job of predicting characters that would appear in later Smash Bros. games, or what!? Take a look at Jigglypuff's and Ness' guides. ALL of the characters mentioned (except obviously Ken Griffey Jr.) were added to the Smash games that followed.

So, there you have it. You have just witnessed the unveiling of a Super Smash Bros. time capsule. Congratulations on 10 years, Smash. Time only knows what the future will bring.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mr. Flabby Wabby.
What were they thinking?

finalark

SNORLAX
Chun-Li Assualt! Your Momma! I'm going to start calling those that now. Man, these days Game Informer is one of the worst sources for gaming info. Oh well, that's why I don't read the magazine at all anymore.

Oh, and I'm going to have to remember that the Star of Invincibility is the most sought-after item. Fun read, great first blog post.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Purin's down-b serves no purpose. Can't you read?

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I would totally main Ken Griffey Jr. if he was in Brawl.

Although he'd likely be unplayable most of the time due to injuries.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Fantastic in every way. I like how they have extremely few official names for the moves. Of course they had the Japanese version and all, but you'd think they could've at least seen fit to come up with the appropriate names for things like Charge Beam and Pokemon-based specials. >_>...

And zomg inadvertent prognostication :O!!

Edit: Oh yeah. Why is Game Informer still in print at this point, seriously? T_T

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Edit: Oh yeah. Why is Game Informer still in print at this point, seriously? T_T
Ugh... SERIOUSLY. See, it's easy to make fun of this, but this was still from a long-since-passed era in which Game Informer's reviews were completely bought and sold by the video game stores in order to forward the merchandise they want to sell.

Ever since the format change in 2000, Game Informer has been uniformly DISGUSTING. The only reason it's still around is because Gamespot goes out of its way to give away subscriptions of that ****ty rag.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Purin is Jigglypuff's Japanese name. The review was compiled on the Japanese version instead of the American one to ensure that it saw press release before the game hit store shelves.

Stupid rationale? Yes. But that's how game magazines work. They want to be first to get a "scoop," heh.

Top Bottom