• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CC against Mario's up tilt

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I've seen it in videos that whenever someone CCs our plumber's big *** fist they get punished for it. I can't seem to think of any ideas to prevent this other than to knock the opponent up before you punch em. thoughts?

j3ly

Smash Champion
you should be ready for people to CC utilt cos it lands them str8 onto the floor, into a techable position.

it took a while, and i stole it off the cape, but it is now easy as pie to jab reset somebody who CC's utilt on reaction.

it cant be done twice in a row tho. cos if you scoop sum1 up from the floor with a stale move they go into that crazy DI and float about madly. I would say that the very best option availiable here is jab reset, unless you are confident you can get a dsmash/fsmash(but its harder off the reset) kill.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i come from europe so my mario is a tiny bit ligher than yours. typically, fair misses on the jab reset - i much prefer to utilt if its not stale (rare) or grab, or charge an fsmash if it will send them offstage. it may be different in NTSC, and fair is consistently safe of a jab reset. it can be done in pal with ease, but i never practices it because grab/utilt/fsmash covers enough %'s

learn it tho if you havent already, cos its ****. just be ready for the fair to maybe miss the first few times

are we on the same page? i just read ur comment again, you mean rolling jab reset?
i dunno the mechanics of that, its annoying when you jab reset sum1 and they roll away. fair is a good way to punish rolls, definatly. its one of the only times you can actually land fair without putting yourself into massive danger.

fair is good, but a late uair (so do the move, with l-cancel as late as possible) -> utilt is better IMO unless you are fighting someone floaty. or AC uair to utilt - it looks smoother but it wont work at lower %'s. Its prolly better to AC it if they are at, say, 30% for marth and 50% for falcon as a guide. any lower, go for the late uair so it adds stun, and if they are too high to follow uair with an uptilt, say 50 for marth and 70 for falcon, then do late uair, start running forwards - look at where they are going to land, late nair/uair/bair - fair probably wont land. if they DI inwards you can do all sorts of crazy things - weak AC bair to dtilt ( :D - makes them miss techs at 100% + if they are FFrs) and all sorts. if they di away by this point, either get into edgeguarding position or go for 1 more hit / attack above them if they like to jump outta stun

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
sorry about the confusion, your side makes more sense I must've been ON SHROOMS (HAHA GET IT CUZ WE'RE PLAYIN DA MARIO...)
but I agree with the roll punishing and the late uair -> utilt combo. that's a lot of numbers to take in ...
actually what I've been doing after the cc lately is after the jab reset that you told me, I pop em up with fair, utilt, u throw (only once cause I knew he was gonna get up attack, so of course shieldgrab) and then bair/nair them off stage. seems to work for me.

j3ly

Smash Champion
do you fair when they roll/tech on platforms or as an approach? i normally get punished for fairing if i use as an approach

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
yeah sometimes you do get punished but its always nice land a Fair while your opponent is at low percentages because the could lead to 2 jab>grab>Dthrow>a few utilts/ u-airs. if you dont use it as much people will fall for it.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
with the fair approach in mind should I go into a game using a rotation of approaches. It would probably be hard to keep track of but just to switch it up and I don't think my opponent will be smart enough to catch on. for example you start with nair, then next approach you dair, then next approach you fair, and maybe even try some wavedash -> utilt stuff. maybe this rotation could help with the unpredictability aspect

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
with the fair approach in mind should I go into a game using a rotation of approaches. It would probably be hard to keep track of but just to switch it up and I don't think my opponent will be smart enough to catch on. for example you start with nair, then next approach you dair, then next approach you fair, and maybe even try some wavedash -> utilt stuff. maybe this rotation could help with the unpredictability aspect
yeah just have fun and stay unpredictable. I only use Fair when people CC too many times. Fair is a REALLY good way to start a combo on anybody.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i always thought this, never got around to doing it though.

that being said, try and make them come to you instead of you to them - youll win alot more.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
i always thought this, never got around to doing it though.

that being said, try and make them come to you instead of you to them - youll win alot more.
not my style :p
but yeah it's good advice. I always see the real top players playing defensively till they see a few habits they can exploit. I see this most noticeably in the Armada v Mango matches and Hugs v HMW (I figured I'd use HMW cuz he plays doc, closest thing to our mario) and actually anything with mango/hugs in it has great adaptions that anybody can learn from

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
The thing is you shouldnt Up tilt a player until he has a good amount of damage. If they are above you i can see that but if you Up tilt a fox or falco, you going to get punished to hell and back. Up tilt is great but its safer to grab> Up throw/Down throw> Up tilt. It would be good if its someone like link because mario Up tilt beats alot of his moves.

pretty much, do not start a a combo with Up tilt at low percentage. Its like your begging to get punished.

j3ly

Smash Champion
utilt becomes techable at around 30% on FFers and i think higher for marth. ill check and edit this post later. chase them techs with WD utilt once more, or you could fair. cant really fair on reaction tho, not consistently.

so imo utilt is usable from the very first % is becomes techable.

However you can get a grab off it at 50% on ffers, and if u have the iasa frames down u can utilt -> uair marth from as early as 30% . Hitting marth at 39% with AC uair is pretty perfect. it can go into late uair, which goes into nair. or into an AC'd weak bair (backwards) -> any speedy aerial/ground follow-up of our choice.

also late utilt will help alot if anyone has trouble comboing off utilts. The move doesn't become weak like sex kicks do, but there is alot more time to followup with something. vs fox/falco/falcon from 50/60 depending on staleness of move, utilt -> late utilt -> weak bair -> onwards with the combo. get that on a platform, and it will be ****. u may aswell fsmash after the late utilt.. but

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Bump:

I never U-tilt grounded opponents except in the situations where they're obviously not crouch canceling such as jumping into the **** where I can anti-air them or otherwise stuff their bad approach.

Grabbing is superior to U-tilting on the ground. About the same speed, bypasses shield, and sets up into stuff more reliably (including U-tilt). Also probably does more damage.

If you F-air someone at low percents, NEVER U-tilt them. Either D-smash or grab.

Honestly getting Mario's U-tilt CCed is only a problem if you ignore better options. The way to use Mario's U-tilt is to juggle into it, or anti-air with it.

j3ly

Smash Champion
if ur amazing, and they miss the tech, you'll turn that into bair waveland -> late dair floor hit -> regrab

Top Bottom