• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cargo Stage Spiking is BACK!

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
So as you all may know, Cargo Ftoss, Btoss, and Dtoss ALL have less endlag. This means Cargo stage spikes are viable again! You all have no idea how happy this makes me. Dtoss almost has 0 endlag, it's based. Even though it is easier to tech in this game, and most recoveries are OP, you can go pretty low to stage spike on stages like battlefield (which will **** up their tech timing), and since DK has a great vertical recovery than he did in Brawl with his up B.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Yeah it's great. Only hope now is that customs stay standard and Kong Cyclone doesn't get banned.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
The next step is to find out what options we have after the opponent techs.

I heard footstool was possible as well as Nair and up-b. I don't have a reliable way of testing much so if someone would want to post what options cover the tech the best.

any good mix ups out there that mess with people tech timing? maybe we can just plain throw them under some stages with out them even hitting the stage (like SV).
They would just air dodge and fall to their doom.

All hypothetical, but I'm just trying to get people thinking :3

Polycube

Smash Rookie
havent played with danky for a while, i might have to play him again

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Yeah, I still gotta practice it some more to get it consistent, but it's more viable than Brawl since you can't get footstooled after doing it. High enough %s and the opponent gets KOd I think if they don't happen to tech it.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
DK is sooo good, the buffs are just gravy. But anyway... what good follow ups have people found out of cargo dthrow? I've found cargo fthrow on the bottom of the stage shoots them straight down its so good and most people dont expect it. And I think a nair would stage spike again if they do tech it . Either way cargo bthrow and crago fthrow stage spike both work well on all stages with diagonal ledges and i love it.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Does this guy have any combos? Except Nair into Down tilt x2 thenn giant punch at really low percent?
-Dtilt trip to grab, true combo. Around 40% you dont even need the trip. It stops working in mid percents, when it sets up a tech chase.
-Up tilt combos into itself on characters that don't have an aerial that comes out on like frame 3.
-Utilt -> Usmash works a lot, character and percent specific.
-Utilt -> Uair
-Utilt -> Bair
Bair combos into itself. The move is fast enough to do 2 in one short hop and does 13%. And it combos into itself. That's crazy.
*Up air does this too, but its more % specific.
Cargo up toss can true combo into Fair at 0. It's character and DI specific.
Nair -> Jab reset (with jab 1, dtilt, or ftilt) -> Literally his entire moveset is a true combo if they miss the tech.
On fast fallers, it is possible to Sour Bair -> Fsmash, but this is really hard to do and highly situational.
Up air -> Up special

DK is not a combo heavy character, and for good reason. He hits like a truck. If this guy had ez mode true combos a la Luigi or Ness he would be absurd. But DK can string moves together surprisingly well because he's actually pretty fast in the air. Does he have a lot of TRUE combos? Nope. Not unless you countt side special which shouldn't really be used in competitive play unless you get a hard-ass read. But if you can read DI he does have some pretty awesome followups. If you want true combos you've come to the wrong place. But if you want to read DI and deal like 60% in 3 hits? Then welcome to the DK Crew.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Ive been labbing these options lately, i think cargo down throw is by far the safest option to stage spike with and it shoots them at an amazing angle but you have to get good at pivoting it. And if they start teching it you can wait slightly longer to mess up their timing and so that they hit off the bottom of the stage like smashville and go straight down. I'd say cargo back throw is the easiest and better for high pressure situations.

ALSO I found out that cargo down throw kills really well, just jump off towards the blast zone and use it at 100+ (varys with rage and weight) and youll get a straight out kill alot of the time. There might be better options but it kills way faster than cargo forward throw and you wont have to worry about them teching anything.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Ive been labbing these options lately, i think cargo down throw is by far the safest option to stage spike with and it shoots them at an amazing angle but you have to get good at pivoting it. And if they start teching it you can wait slightly longer to mess up their timing and so that they hit off the bottom of the stage like smashville and go straight down. I'd say cargo back throw is the easiest and better for high pressure situations.

ALSO I found out that cargo down throw kills really well, just jump off towards the blast zone and use it at 100+ (varys with rage and weight) and youll get a straight out kill alot of the time. There might be better options but it kills way faster than cargo forward throw and you wont have to worry about them teching anything.
As much as I love cargo dthrow stage spiking, whenever I have the opprotunity I feel like Bthrow kills at about the same time. And they cant mash out of back throw like they can mash out of Cargo. I dunno its just for style points IMO it doesn't kill any earlier unless ur facing the other way. Then stage spike XD

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
-Dtilt trip to grab, true combo. Around 40% you dont even need the trip. It stops working in mid percents, when it sets up a tech chase.
-Up tilt combos into itself on characters that don't have an aerial that comes out on like frame 3.
-Utilt -> Usmash works a lot, character and percent specific.
-Utilt -> Uair
-Utilt -> Bair
Bair combos into itself. The move is fast enough to do 2 in one short hop and does 13%. And it combos into itself. That's crazy.
*Up air does this too, but its more % specific.
Cargo up toss can true combo into Fair at 0. It's character and DI specific.
Nair -> Jab reset (with jab 1, dtilt, or ftilt) -> Literally his entire moveset is a true combo if they miss the tech.
On fast fallers, it is possible to Sour Bair -> Fsmash, but this is really hard to do and highly situational.
Up air -> Up special

DK is not a combo heavy character, and for good reason. He hits like a truck. If this guy had ez mode true combos a la Luigi or Ness he would be absurd. But DK can string moves together surprisingly well because he's actually pretty fast in the air. Does he have a lot of TRUE combos? Nope. Not unless you countt side special which shouldn't really be used in competitive play unless you get a hard-*** read. But if you can read DI he does have some pretty awesome followups. If you want true combos you've come to the wrong place. But if you want to read DI and deal like 60% in 3 hits? Then welcome to the DK Crew.
If Ganon and Bowser doesnt have that many combos expecially bowser then why Shouldnt DK?

DK should have combos
Not absurd one like taking 80% after one Down throw...sakurai nerf wee.fee

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
As much as I love cargo dthrow stage spiking, whenever I have the opprotunity I feel like Bthrow kills at about the same time. And they cant mash out of back throw like they can mash out of Cargo. I dunno its just for style points IMO it doesn't kill any earlier unless ur facing the other way. Then stage spike XD
You're right it's situational but it's nice to have the options like after a neutral get up read. Especially against characters with bad recoveries. Link, shulk, Mac, Mario, falcon, diddy, Zss to name a few common ones.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
downthrow cargo powerbomb stagespike has been a thing since wii u release. this patch just made it safer

if youre on the left side of the stage, and grab someone, which is going to happen, you wont be killing with bthrow

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
downthrow cargo powerbomb stagespike has been a thing since wii u release. this patch just made it safer

if youre on the left side of the stage, and grab someone, which is going to happen, you wont be killing with bthrow
._. "unless ur facing the other way. Then stage spike XD"

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
its not; its just i only saw you saying its not useful and its for style points. my bad for not reading the rest

Top Bottom