• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Career Options in eSports

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Hi, my name is Blitzern, and I want to know what my options are for a career in eSports. Whether it be an existing job or a role I could fill as an entrepreneur, eSports is what I'm passionate about. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Disclaimer: I am just spitballing as I have zero experience in this, but here are a few off the top of my head.

Player, if you're really good and willing to put in the time for practice and skirmishes and all that. Probably the one that people want the most, but I'd imagine it's also one of the hardest to get into.

Commentating/shoutcasting would be good for those who also have a solid personality and voice, but you'd definitely need a large amount of analysis skills and in-depth knowledge.

Those are the two big ones that're popping out to me, but there's also stuff like managers, video editors, writers... and I'd imagine a ton more behind-the-scenes stuff. I did manage to get a bit of research done and there seems to be a general esports subreddit that focuses on the industry as a whole. You might wanna check it out if this thread doesn't take off.

Oh, one final note, maybe look into unpaid positions (be it official internships or just doing something on your own/with the community) to get some experience, if you haven't been doing it already.

Either way, good luck in following your passion!

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
Are you looking to be a professional player or to manage business aspects of eSports?

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps you could be a tournament organizer? If there's a local card or video game shop, you could pitch the idea; it increases their revenue due to entry fees and generally increases the amount of people coming to the store. If your advertisement skills are on par, you could be very successful.
Or perhaps you're talking about something else?

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Perhaps you could be a tournament organizer? If there's a local card or video game shop, you could pitch the idea; it increases their revenue due to entry fees and generally increases the amount of people coming to the store. If your advertisement skills are on par, you could be very successful.
Or perhaps you're talking about something else?
I'm actually working on that atm. Got 3 places that said they would be up for it, just need them to email me back.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't have any advice to offer you except if you want something you have to be willing to work hard for it. Don't ever expect a handout. Other than that, I wish you luck in your endeavors and I hope you reach your goals.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
I don't have any advice to offer you except if you want something you have to be willing to work hard for it. Don't ever expect a handout. Other than that, I wish you luck in your endeavors and I hope you reach your goals.
I'm prepared to work hard, and thanks alot. Assuming TO'ing goes well, creating something similar to CLASH Tournaments, VG Bootcamp, Tourney Locator, Team Sp00ky, etc. seems very interesting. Do you know if these are actual jobs?

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
Depends on what you consider "actual" jobs. I mean, if you're performing a task in exchange for benefits / payment, then it is, by definition, a job.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You're not going to make any money unless you are either

A) The best player of a given video game, or in the top level.... or just well known

B) EXTREMELY LUCKY

If you're looking to make money, I wouldn't suggest a career in "Esports"

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Depends on what you consider "actual" jobs. I mean, if you're performing a task in exchange for benefits / payment, then it is, by definition, a job.
Like if they do it as a full time job or if its just on the side.

You're not going to make any money unless you are either

A) The best player of a given video game, or in the top level.... or just well known

B) EXTREMELY LUCKY

If you're looking to make money, I wouldn't suggest a career in "Esports"
Lucky is both. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwett

Smash Ace
The world of eSports has yet to be tapped in any major way. Only Riot and Blizzard have made any real progress, but that's only two games.

There are many opportunities, but there is no standard. You'll need to be a trailblazer. Just do what you love, be consistent, be passionate, and be smart. That's what I did when I made TLOC.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
The world of eSports has yet to be tapped in any major way. Only Riot and Blizzard have made any real progress, but that's only two games.

There are many opportunities, but there is no standard. You'll need to be a trailblazer. Just do what you love, be consistent, be passionate, and be smart. That's what I did when I made TLOC.
Thanks for the advice; is TLOC full time for you?

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323

Have you seen ESL/ESEA/CEVO/Faceit for CS:GO? Along with all the other ladders. ESL/ESEA just paired together to make a 1,000,000$ league.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Although I have a day job, TLOC is a full time commitment. As for FPSs, I've yet to see their influence break into mainstream as successfully as Starcraft and LoL.

It doesn't really matter how much money is being offered. $1mil is nothing compared to any mainstream sport.

To put it quite bluntly, if I haven't heard someone talk about it outside of those that live in the scene, then it's not where it needs to be.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, you might want to start streaming once you get well-known. It might help pay the bills between tournaments. In addition, don't quit your day-job until you start to get a lot from your E-Sports occupation. Having a solid source of income is always a plus.

Top Bottom