• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker:
Release Date: 05/12/2014 - USA, Japan and Canada / January 2015 - EU and AUS
Genre: Puzzle / Adventure

So, amongst the Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 and numerous other games' hype trains that accelerated during E3, I feel that this unique little gem, featuring Captain Toad, who appeared throughout the past few Mario entries gaining Power Stars through small exploration-based puzzles was hype-worthy as well.

Summary:

Captain Toad, who first appeared in Super Mario Galaxy and continued on toward Super Mario 3D World as an explorer to aid Mario and friends on their quest to gain Power Stars is embarking on his own adventure. The game consists of a multitude of levels similar to that of his puzzle levels in SMG and SM3DW.

Some key features and interesting things to note:

- The stages, although similar to to their host games, are no longer time limited; this encourages exploration.
- Additional to the Power Star at the end (instead of Green Stars), there are three Gems in each level to collect. There are also potentially Stamps, but it's not known for sure yet.
- The Game Pad will probably be the key controller to use, given there are multiple levels requiring you to touch things on it to activate them (platforms, elevators, switches etc).
- Captain Toad will have access to power-ups such as a Pickaxe, Mushrooms and others.
- The plucking reference from Super Mario Bros 2 returns. Often, Captain Toad will pluck a Turnip in which he can throw at enemies.
- There will be levels that allow you to shoot Turnips in a 1st person shooter type view to hit enemies and collect Gems while riding a mine cart.
- The Gems are used for something, but what this is remains a mystery.
- Some stages are rumoured to have side missions such as collecting a certain amount of Coins, defeating enemies and other tasks.
- Although just a theory, there's reason to believe that "worlds" may be represented by books. Each book contains (possibly) 20 pages (meaning 20 levels) per book.
- There are at least 70 stages.
- Some levels are shown to have a mysterious Golden Mushroom in seemingly inaccessible regions of the level. How the Mushrooms get there and what they're for is currently unknown, whether they are power-ups, collectables, or part of some kind of side-mission is unknown.

GameXplain analysis -

Treehouse gameplay -
Older Comic-Con gameplay -

What do you guys think of this game? It may seem pretty modest / boring to some, but I personally liked Captain Toad's little interventions, and the puzzles look like they're pretty unique and interesting from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
Yes!!!!! I was actually really excited when they announced this game. The Captain Toad Levels were my favorite part of Super Mario 3d World(I actually didn't think SM3DWorld was great game like all other mario platformers, but Captain Toad missions were actually fun). I think Captain Toad games could become pretty big because its just a puzzle game when you strip it down and people love puzzles.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Yes!!!!! I was actually really excited when they announced this game. The Captain Toad Levels were my favorite part of Super Mario 3d World(I actually didn't think SM3DWorld was great game like all other mario platformers, but Captain Toad missions were actually fun). I think Captain Toad games could become pretty big because its just a puzzle game when you strip it down and people love puzzles.
Glad I'm not the only one, haha. Based on some of the footage I posted, some of the levels are quite extensive, which is nice as well, and makes it feel truly unique.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
actually, when I think about it, this would be a great type of game if Nintendo ever wants to make a mobile game for smartphones

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
A boatload of new information is now out regarding this title, and a breakdown of it can be seen here -

ScottPompeo

Smash Rookie
Always love GameXplain's videos. I am impressed with what Nintendo has packed in here. Originally I thought there couldn't be enough ideas to make a complete game, but it's obvious Nintendo had a lot of ideas for Captain Toad that they didn't stick into Super Mario 3D World.

Techno Hunter

Smash Cadet
Is it me, or is CTTT a sequel to gyromite?

You control a small character, unable to jump, in a puzzle platformer, moving blocks using somewhat-gimmicky acessories ( the gamepad's touch screen/ROB) you collect many copies of the same item in a small maze-like setting( Stars in Cpt. Toad and explosives in Gyromite) and you can defend yourself using vegetables ( if you don't know, you could throw vegetables in Gyromite to distract the monsters). Just a game theory I had on my head.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Is it me, or is CTTT a sequel to gyromite?

You control a small character, unable to jump, in a puzzle platformer, moving blocks using somewhat-gimmicky acessories ( the gamepad's touch screen/ROB) you collect many copies of the same item in a small maze-like setting( Stars in Cpt. Toad and explosives in Gyromite) and you can defend yourself using vegetables ( if you don't know, you could throw vegetables in Gyromite to distract the monsters). Just a game theory I had on my head.
It could very well be based on Gyromite in concept. There are a lot of similarities now that you pointed them out, interesting.

On another note, here's an example of some of the unique levels we'll be running into. If anyone would rather not see, I have it wrapped in a spoiler tag.

Donkey Kong influenced level:

Super Mario 3D World influenced levels:

Last edited:
Top Bottom