• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's nair.

Some Guy_

Smash Rookie
Should I fast fall when doing a short hop L-cancelled nair? I noticed when I do it that the second hit doesn't connect, but that might be because of a technical flub on my part.

Another thing about the nair is spacing it. I've watched the mango vs dark rain falcon ditto and I noticed two things. The first is that they will dash to where they want to aerial and then do the nair from a short hop with no horizontal movement. The second thing I noticed is that the dash and short hop into nair. When would I want to do one over the either? I like the first one because I'm not good at controlling where CF goes after a dash and short hop, but I would, of course, be missing the applications of the second one.

Finally, to do a pivot nair, do I look for the frame in my DD where CF is technically standing and then nair?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
i would recommend to direct questions like these to...well...the "C.Falcon Social" lol

anyway, yes, you should learn to fast-fall on your nairs. if you want both hits, you can rise with the first hit then fast-fall with the second hit. you can mix up your aerial timing/fast-fall timings so there are numerous ways to fast-fall and get both hits out.

there's also use for fast-fall single hit nair that you can look into. it can lead to tricky shield pressure and interesting combos.

about the two nairs you're describing, first nair is great for boxing the other falcon out. use it when you have center stage and you want to kind of push the other falcon to the edge. second nair is when you either don't have center stage or there's a lot of distance between you and your opponent so you want to go in and keep pressure on.

first nair is like a being moving wall, second nair is about going in. be careful with the second nair, you should be aiming either far enough in front or behind them so that they can't punish you for it. overshooting the nair eats dash-dances, but can get stuffed by move.

and yes, you that is how you would pivot nair.

Some Guy_

Smash Rookie
Hahaha my first post and I've already broken the rules. gg

Anyways, thanks for the tips. I'm going to work to implement them into my game.

gravy

Smash Ace
Nair is super complex. It seems simple from a basic standpoint, but there are many different ways to do it. For example, you can do an instant nair that is fast fallen such that the first hit is high and the second hit is super low, and that's great for a lot of neutral situations, but you can also achieve that same nair by nairing at the tip of your jump with no fast fall. You can also nair in a way that both hits are pretty high up, which you'll likely discover is great for combos against floaty characters. Combine all this and more with the different options of fading back, fading forward, doing a huge short hop, etc.... And you have near countless options from just one move.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Nair is super complex. It seems simple from a basic standpoint, but there are many different ways to do it. For example, you can do an instant nair that is fast fallen such that the first hit is high and the second hit is super low, and that's great for a lot of neutral situations, but you can also achieve that same nair by nairing at the tip of your jump with no fast fall. You can also nair in a way that both hits are pretty high up, which you'll likely discover is great for combos against floaty characters. Combine all this and more with the different options of fading back, fading forward, doing a huge short hop, etc.... And you have near countless options from just one move.
And this is the reason why melee is the greatest game ever XD
At least part of the reason :p

On topic, you probably are just fast falling too early. You should definitely fast fall at some point, but probably just not as early as you can. Knowing the shuffle timing of all of captain falcon's air moves is very important.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
A fun and good way to practice your Nairs is against the sandbag in the homerun contest. Try and see how far you can carry it by using Nairs. When you get bored of that you can try different ways to start your combos or mix it up with UpAirs and other things.

Also, on the topic of the Pivot nairs.. Just practice doing empty pivots first. All it really takes it just a flick of the stick in one direction and then back and let it go to neutral. When you get it down you won't even have to look for the standing frame.

Top Bottom