• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Play Style

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
I´ve seen a lot of C.falcons lately (posers and some other are good) but most of them make the same mistake an extremely aggresive combat style trying to keep the pressure on and on and on but most of them become slow and make a lot of mistakes as time passes , now i know captain falcon is a 100% offensive character but attacking and attacking is not a good strategy in fact its not even an strategy i for example try to be on the look of the enemy defenses to grab and do some strings and pseudo combos if being on the attack doesnt work i try to poke or let them make mistakes (using Falcon´s amazing mobility) most try to do some flashy stuff like the combo Dair with Up Smash or the Knee with hop
Looking for the opening, think my attacks, take advantage of mistakes and using mobility as a defensive option thats my play style, what about yours?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, playing aggressive isn't a bad thing whatsoever. I do agree that many Falcons have the problem of using unsafe moves during pressure over and over. My personal strategy is to pressure with moves like SHFFL Nair / Bair on the ground; moves that are generally safe and quickly canceled upon landing. They're good at racking up damage at low percentages because they combo into other moves (i.e SHFFL Nair > Up+B/Jab/Grab and Bair can be used to get a buffered dash grab) and if it gets shielded, you're still out of range if you were poking with the moves.

Of course, using the same moves over and over isn't a strategy. In fact, it's stupid and people will eventually begin capitalizing on punishing those specific options.

That's where the grab game comes in. Depending on the spacing between you an the opponent, Grab, DashGrab and PivotGrab can get around defensive playstyles when the blatant pressure isn't working. The grab game is also our most reliable combo starter beyond 50% in my opinion (i.e. Dthrow > Uair > Knee is a true combo). Using it to keep in a character's comfort zone and punish reactions is essential; especially due to the properties of Falcon's dash grab in this game. The distance boost that Falcon gains from his dash grab animation is almost on the tier of a tether grab without the long and punishable cooldown. You can grab characters that are a short distance away in a short amount of frames. Only problem is that timing it incorrectly can result in you sliding past the opponent. Knowing when to use a dash grab vs. a dashing pivot grab makes all the difference when playing Falcon.

When someone is in the air, it's needless to say that our Uair is essentially our best move. Again, I capitalize on this factor. Rather than jumping up and Uairing people senselessly every opportunity I get, I short hop under opponents when they've used their second jump and are close to landing. This puts many characters in awkward positions where they have to choose to try and trade hits with Uair or try to air dodge. And if they air dodge, you get a free hit in. SHFFL Uair will allow you to recover just as quickly as they do from their air dodge, except you're landing first, so you can punish their air dodge accordingly. This is where I feel that Falcon mains fall short.

It's also worth noting that Falcon's Jab is an extremely useful move for shutting down many approaches if you're taking the defensive/passive playstyle. For example, a Sonic begins spinning toward you with down+B or side+B; simply hold jab in place and he'll get hit if he comes in contact with you. When I'm playing against Sonics, they've always had a habit of trying to spindash fakeout > Homing Attack when I've used jab. But of course, Falcon can simply stop jabbing and Up+B the Homing Attack. If a non-beam projectile is coming toward you, jab will generally cancel it out. There are a few projectiles that this doesn't apply to, but knowing the matchup and what to use it against can make all the difference.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
It's also worth noting that Falcon's Jab is an extremely useful move for shutting down many approaches if you're taking the defensive/passive playstyle. For example, a Sonic begins spinning toward you with down+B or side+B; simply hold jab in place and he'll get hit if he comes in contact with you. When I'm playing against Sonics, they've always had a habit of trying to spindash fakeout > Homing Attack when I've used jab. But of course, Falcon can simply stop jabbing and Up+B the Homing Attack. If a non-beam projectile is coming toward you, jab will generally cancel it out. There are a few projectiles that this doesn't apply to, but knowing the matchup and what to use it against can make all the difference.
Falcon jabs, gentleman and pummels are godly in this game , i usually cancel gordo´s with the jab or stop enemies down on their track with the 1,2 jab

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
The distance boost that Falcon gains from his dash grab animation is almost on the tier of a tether grab without the long and punishable cooldown.
It actually has the same or slightly more range than Link's grab, but not more than ZSS'.

Top Bottom