• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Help

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
Hello Captain Falcon fans, I need your opinion. This is a Captain falcon video with my best performance as the man himself. I am no Falcon main but he is one of my favorites. This is a battle against a Level 8 opponent.

Also I don't care if these aren't considered hard reads, I didn't have a better name for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckcZhir0qm0

Hope you have a great day Falcon fans!

ItsIve

Smash Cadet
Pretty good for not maining him, but a couple things:

- Raptor Boost (side-b) should exclusively be used for killing; it is VERY strong at higher percents. Using it early-game will stale it and reduce it's overall effectiveness when you may desperately need the kill later on. If you want a move to knock people up in the air, down-throw or dash attack will do that just fine.
- You're fighting a Level 8 CPU. It's hard to tell how good you are with mind-games and actual reads because they know your button inputs and are impossible to be conditioned. You can fight amazingly against computers and be able style hard on them, but chances are that it wouldn't work as well in a real match. I used to do the same exact thing when I played Melee a few years ago, but I actually got bodied at an actual tournament.
- There was one point where you stomped the Palutena and you could've gotten a knee, but you hit her with an upair. Knowing your setups into knees are very important -- Falcon has one of the, if not the strongest aerial in the game and it should be used when it can.
- Learn how to short-hop. I'm actually not sure if you know how to, but I don't think I saw one for most of the match. If you're playing against someone and you do a full jump towards them, they know that you're going to attack and will just shield it or attack you first.
- You use a lot of down-airs. It's a great move that I feel is sometimes underused in Falcon's moveset, but it's not safe at all because of how hard it can be punished (likewise with the Falcon Punches). Both Falcon Punch and down-airs, which I saw you do a lot of, are high-risk, high-reward moves. If you get the stomp, you can do some crazy combos/guaranteed knees out of it, and with Falcon Punch you can take the stock early. But you can also get messed up pretty hard if they get shielded.

I hope I was able to help somehow. Cheers! :)

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
Pretty good for not maining him, but a couple things:

- Raptor Boost (side-b) should exclusively be used for killing; it is VERY strong at higher percents. Using it early-game will stale it and reduce it's overall effectiveness when you may desperately need the kill later on. If you want a move to knock people up in the air, down-throw or dash attack will do that just fine.
- You're fighting a Level 8 CPU. It's hard to tell how good you are with mind-games and actual reads because they know your button inputs and are impossible to be conditioned. You can fight amazingly against computers and be able style hard on them, but chances are that it wouldn't work as well in a real match. I used to do the same exact thing when I played Melee a few years ago, but I actually got bodied at an actual tournament.
- There was one point where you stomped the Palutena and you could've gotten a knee, but you hit her with an upair. Knowing your setups into knees are very important -- Falcon has one of the, if not the strongest aerial in the game and it should be used when it can.
- Learn how to short-hop. I'm actually not sure if you know how to, but I don't think I saw one for most of the match. If you're playing against someone and you do a full jump towards them, they know that you're going to attack and will just shield it or attack you first.
- You use a lot of down-airs. It's a great move that I feel is sometimes underused in Falcon's moveset, but it's not safe at all because of how hard it can be punished (likewise with the Falcon Punches). Both Falcon Punch and down-airs, which I saw you do a lot of, are high-risk, high-reward moves. If you get the stomp, you can do some crazy combos/guaranteed knees out of it, and with Falcon Punch you can take the stock early. But you can also get messed up pretty hard if they get shielded.

I hope I was able to help somehow. Cheers! :)
Thank you for taking time to talk and help me with my play style as captain falcon.
I will use this information for my future battles as the captain. Again, thank you for helping me. :chuckle:

Top Bottom