• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cap'n Makes It Happen - A Beginner's Guide to CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripl3dogdare

Smash Rookie
Hello! Two things to note first - First, Melee isn't really a competitive game anymore, as it's pretty old. Changes have probably been made to the character since then, so don't rely too heavily on this for the newer games. That said, I am by no means a competitive player, let alone with the Cap. This is a BEGINNER'S GUIDE; to any experienced CF player, most of this is probably old news.

I'll also make updates to this as I find new things - CF is currently my Melee main (even though I'm better at Sheik...), so I play him a lot and I may find new useful things to do.

Personally, I feel like a lot of players are intimidated by CF. He's slow, hard to understand, and (at first glance) has awful recovery. However, after playing him a bit, I've started to see that he has his good points. For one, he has some ridiculously abusable combos that work most of the time. He has surprisingly good recovery for such a slow, heavy character, and he's actually fairly fast if you play him right.

Basics

Attacks
Overall, CF doesn't have very good basic attacks (IMO). They come out slowly and don't usually do much damage (although if you can actually manage to lock someone into a jab, it's fairly decent for racking up damage). His smash attacks are a similar story; use them when you can, but as to combos they aren't much good in my experience as they come out too slow to be unpredictable.

Specials
CF's specials are awesome. Enough said.

Neutral-B - Falcon Punch: A flaming punch that hits everything in a surprisingly large area in front of CF. Super slow, but kills at ridiculously low percentages. Good when opponents are recovering high. Make sure to practice the timing on this, as it can be tricky to predict well enough to hit with it.

Side-B - (Not sure what this one's called): Launches CF forwards (or backwards). If he comes close enough to something he can hit, he uppercuts it (or spikes it if he's in the air). Awesome for approach, and can be comboed out of really easily. Be careful not to use this off the stage unless it will bring you back on, as you can't do anything when you're falling after using it. It also tends to move you just off the stage if you don't know the spacing, which ends in an SD. Be VERY careful around breakable terrain as well - I've gotten more than a few SDs on Yoshi's Island by accidentally using it in the middle of the stage.

Up-B - Air Grab (Not sure of the real name): Launches CF upwards. If he hits an opponent on the way, he grabs onto them and explodes, launching them away and him backwards. Great recovery move with surprising range. Also keep in mind that if he hits an opponent it doesn't lock him into a fall; he can even use Up Special again! Not very useful as a combo starter, but a good combo finisher and easy to abuse, especially in conjuction with Side Special.

Down-B - Falcon Kick: Launches CF forwards/down in a deadly flaming kick. Useful for maneuvering and changing up with Side-B. Watch out when you're off the stage or near the edge, it goes down at an angle and fairly far, so you probably won't be able to recover unless you're really high up. Watch out for the substantial ending lag.

Combos

Side Special (Ground) -> Up Special
This one is definitely old new to most CF players, as it's one of the oldest tricks in the book; on the other hand, it's really useful, really abusable, and easy to pull off. Works better on CPUs than on humans, as they don't start to see it coming, but if you use it sparingly enough it's very powerful and hard to escape. At higher percentages you may need to add a jump or two in between to get the spacing right - don't be afraid to chase your opponents down mid-air (the longer you wait, the more likely you'll get Dair'd/Down-Special'd by most characters).

(I'll add more combos as I find them)

I hope you've found this guide useful!

A message to the mods: I've already gotten a post similar to this (about Brawl Sonic) locked for "fraudulent charges" (whatever that means), simply because I stated some combos that could be executed differently/better. I've already stated that this is a beginner's guide and I'm not the best CF ever; please take into account that this isn't a competitive play guide. It's intended to help people get started with the character, not combat guys like ZeRo. Thank you.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Alright, I'm going to be relatively quick about this one. I have read your guide, and I understand what the guide is supposed to do. However, just reading your guide makes me realize that you don't understand Falcon even on the the basic level, and your guide is giving the wrong idea on what he is as a character. People do have a hard time starting out because Falcon is one of the most tech based characters besides Fox and Falco, and he is hard to control at first. Falcon is not slow. In fact, he has the best ability to move around overall because of his dash speed and overall speedy movement besides walking. Even though he is not the fastest walker, this hardly matters when he does use it since it is not that slow in comparison to other characters. Beginners have no real reason to walk in the first place, some basic movement is easy to use. Even dash-dancing is not hard to use for him, and that is the most advanced basic beginner movement that's not the wavedash. And the combo sections is not great because side to Up B is pretty escapable with DI, people can still use DI even when not at a high level or not knowing about it. Some of his ground attacks are slow, but his aerial attacks are quick, so use them. Overall, please play the character more before making a guide on him for beginners.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
You lost me as soon as you said Melee isn't a competitive game.

You're on the wrong site if you're saying things like that.

TheWeis

Smash Cadet
He's slow

He's slow

He's slow

Actually there's no way this isn't a troll. I think literally everything is wrong

Last edited:

tripl3dogdare

Smash Rookie
Ok, you win. I'm not that great at CF. However, this is not a troll. This is intended to be a beginner's guide - it's not meant to be perfect, it's meant to be a place to start when you're learning the character and more likely the game as a whole. CF's specials are the most easily accessible part of play for beginners with the character, as they are easy to use and fairly comboable. I'll understand if you want to take this down, but please do take into account that this isn't supposed to be amazing; it's supposed to be a quick, easily accessible start to the character. It's also a bit of a personal journey for me - as I grow with the character, the guide will improve.

And my point is valid - he does seem slow at first, even if after getting used to his spacing and timing he's one of the faster characters (just look at Falcon Punch; a straight second is a long time to read on your opponent for a beginner.)

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I think you mean slow moves, which certainly Falcon Punch is; however, his aerials are fairly quick, versatile and some hit very hard (knee, stomp). I recommend actually looking into how to play this character viably instead of classifying a guide for scrubby play. If you want to truly experience the overwhelming threat that Falcon can be, learn the fundamentals at a beginners level. Learning how to combo scrubs across the stage really doesn't get old, especially when you finish it with some swag.

tripl3dogdare

Smash Rookie
Fair enough. I generally am not the best guide-maker. I will say that I know that game pretty well for a non-competitive level player, but again, I'm not the best at CF (I typically main Sheik or Samus). If you want to take this down I'll understand; however, I hope I can be of some help somewhere.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I think at the non-competitive level, a guide for Falcon is very largely unneeded. Just play the damn game, have fun. If someone's actually looking to becoming a better player, "advanced techniques" are literally the basics of what a Falcon (or any player really) should have.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The issue with making a beginner guide for falcon, at least of what is mentioned here is that you didn't mention his full moveset. I mean if you want to use specials only you might as well make a Zelda guide that says use down-b. Your other guide was probably locked for the same reason. Also lol that first sentence. You high? Mêlée might be old but Armada just made 18,000 dollars from the game in 2.5 weeks

Last edited:

tripl3dogdare

Smash Rookie
Again, I have admitted that I'm not the best CF player ever. If you all could please stop bashing the guide, I've gotten the point. Thank you.

tripl3dogdare

Smash Rookie
As I said, as far as I'm concerned this thread is dead. I will no longer be watching it or replying. Feel free to lock it or remove it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom