• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caping vs. Drifting when recovering

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Okay, so I know the first Cape offstage will stall you in midair and give you some horizontal distance without losing too much vertical distance.
but often you see players do mutltiple capes, the subsequent capes don't give you the same boost, but they do appear to slightly stall you in mid air.
These mini-stalls could be useful to wait out an edgehog for example, but my question is, in terms of sheer distance gained, like if you need to optimally recover in the best way, is this preferable to just caping once and then drifting without doing additional moves?

Also, is using your first Cape high preferable to using Cape low below the stage? (again, in terms of making it easier to recover, not necessarily for waiting out edgehogs or beating edgeguards)

Last edited:

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Doesnt really matter if its high or low long as you cape first in your recovery really the first cape is used to set up your tornado then again you can mix it up depending on the situation

Last edited:

erasmorpheous

Smash Cadet
Once you get your recovery down make sure to not go into autopilot mode. I realized after sometime that I was doing the exact same combination of cape, tornado, second jump and up B and getting punished for being predictable. I also use up B to throw out that hitbox that has saved my life many times.

I saw m2k fall with fireballs and then up B the opponent when they connected. It was a great use of saving himself from being edgeguarded and these were times where he didn't use the cape or tornado.

Ravus_Ursus

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RavusUrsus
Yeah I found out that I had that problem as well. My recovery became predictable and therefore able to be countered. I also realized that if I used only one cape too early, it became difficult to counter certain gimps. So sometimes I'll use a second cape when I know my opponent is going to attempt to edgeguard. Doing that has made my life a lot easier against some players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom