• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caping recoveries

H man

Smash Rookie
Kinda new to the character. Not sure if this has been done but I was wondering if there is data on which recoveries can be caped.

For example I've seen a Mario cape C. Falcon's up B and kill him. Same with Link
I've tried doing it to Ness up B after he hits himself but I always get hit hard.
I've also wondered if Fox up B or side B could be caped.

Is there data on this? Or does someone have a good idea about which characters' recoveries could be reliably caped?

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
you can cape almost any recovery with the right timing and spacing. I've done it to fox side and up b, link up, mario upb, ness and lucas up, bowser up b, I could go on.

One thing to note is characters who dont go into free fall after up b get ANOTHER up b if you cape them after they've used it(i thought it was the stupidest thing in brawl, and was shocked when they didn't fix it). Those ups are Game and watch, olimar, megaman, sonic etc.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
When caping Ness' or Lucas' Up B, try to do so before they hit themselves with PK Thunder. Their momentum gets reversed which most likely will make them miss the PK Thunder and fall to their doom.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't bother caping most recoveries that aren't Little Mac, Bowser, or Robin's, honestly. It's not that good in this game given virtually everyone else is extremely safe against Mario when recovering low, meaning it's more important to just try to tack on damage to their recovery if it's applicable with aerials.

Last edited:

H man

Smash Rookie
you can cape almost any recovery with the right timing and spacing. I've done it to fox side and up b, link up, mario upb, ness and lucas up, bowser up b, I could go on.

One thing to note is characters who dont go into free fall after up b get ANOTHER up b if you cape them after they've used it(i thought it was the stupidest thing in brawl, and was shocked when they didn't fix it). Those ups are Game and watch, olimar, megaman, sonic etc.
Thanks, this is the information I was looking for.

I don't bother caping most recoveries that aren't Little Mac, Bowser, or Robin's, honestly. It's not that good in this game given virtually everyone else is extremely safe against Mario when recovering low, meaning it's more important to just try to tack on damage to their recovery if it's applicable with aerials.
Yeah I agree.

I was theorizing some stuff in my head. Like what if you condition them to air dodge using cape. Then next edge guard jump, bait the air dodge and maybe get em with water while in the air if Mario can make it back. I don't know lol maybe that's unpractical haven't tried it. Mario can be so creative though with his tools.

GoldenMasterSword

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldMasterSword
3DS FC
5241-2079-3500
Very few characters are actually greatly affected by the presence of Mario's cape, sadly. If the edge game was anything like Melee's, it would wreck havoc on the entire cast.

Top Bottom