• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Capejumping

Scala

Smash Ace
What to do: Press ->B and jump within a few frames of each other.
What happens: You jump rather high (higher than short hop, shorter than a full jump) and you do it Quickly. You jump much faster and higher than when just pushing jump and then ->B.
Depending on the timing, you'll jump higher or lower.

Practical applications:
1) you can dash, and instantly backwards cape at a higher height than trying to quickly push Y/X ->B.
2) you can approach, capejump, make the opponent whiff their attack, and buffer a fair which has just enough time to get the hitbox out. At certain percents, you might be able to combo it into a usmash if they don't tech the ground.

Also, the best way to try this is to use R or L to jump, and go R->B. I doubt it's possible any other way.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Maybe. I'm not seeing anything significant about it though. Yeah, you jump faster, but the height isn't really something to be amazed about. Also, the ending lag from the cape stops you from doing something to follow up on.

It's a mindgame AT, as far as I've worked on.

BTW, you can also "Cape Jump" for your double jump as well.

EDIT: I'll try to be inventive though. Maybe with some work this can be a staple.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Aparently, since the cape comes out faster, it could be a faster and safer way to cape. Can A fireball be used after it? it would protect against simultaeous dsmashs right?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
As far as I worked on thus far, it can make on-stage caping more viable. The quickness of the cape jump can counter non-disjointed aerials (like Snake's, as I just tested), and you can also use cape jump to follow up for an attack to turn the momentum away from you, and make the opponent attack the wrong way, which allows Mario to punish and continue his damage-racking.

A fireball wouldn't be ideal for followup on this AT since you have to be close anyway, but could be useful if you're just trying to stay away.

D-smash attacks heavily depends on the characters themselves (not ideal against DK or Sonic), but it's doable, especially on the space animals.

EDIT: Cape Jump can also poke through shields, which means no shield grab. Too bad this only works on tall characters.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info. I'm suprised more people aren't talking about this. how can they sheid grab anyway if they are turned around? do you have any way to put of vids so this can be explored?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wait, you guys didn't know about this?

I've been using this thing for ages.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
It's useful for heated bouts. Nobody expects a cape to come out. They'd most probably predict anything but that. Very useful mindgame. The capes hitboxes are awkward.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It gives Mario a slight jumping boost. It's main use is to mind game people, but if you need it, go ahead and use it to help your recovery. It won't do much, but...

It just might save you one day.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
It gives Mario a slight jumping boost. It's main use is to mind game people, but if you need it, go ahead and use it to help your recovery. It won't do much, but...

It just might save you one day.
Anything that helps Mario's recovery length is a good AT in my book.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Anything that helps Mario's recovery length is a good AT in my book.
I wouldn't, ESPECIALLY during Mario's DJ because the cape kills all forward momentum and slows it to a crawl. This would gimp you before it would save you.

This was in melee. Works better in brawl, however, because of the floaty mechanics and buffed shields. Much more practical to use now imo.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
If anything. I'll continue randomly using it on aggresive opponets as I always have. Additional damage and reverses their direction at best. Doesnt give out any decent follow up moves that i've seen. Gives you a slight approach afterwards because it throws thems off slightly while you rush in. But a good opponet will bounce back, continuing with his gameplan.

MetaKnight's that Spam their upB. You can mess them up, if you're lucky with it. Then just run toward them, cape once or twice or fludd to shove them off the stage on their merry way.

Cape is one of them things that compliment Mario. Very useful.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I wouldn't, ESPECIALLY during Mario's DJ because the cape kills all forward momentum and slows it to a crawl. This would gimp you before it would save you.

This was in melee. Works better in brawl, however, because of the floaty mechanics and buffed shields. Much more practical to use now imo.
That's why I asked, is it more helpful to recover than the cape by itself? If it gives Mario any considerable boost to his recovery at all, it could be useful.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
That's why I asked, is it more helpful to recover than the cape by itself? If it gives Mario any considerable boost to his recovery at all, it could be useful.
Maybe. I honestly doubt it though, much more useful for mindgaming in the heat of battle like Ray/Boshi said. Of course, don't let me stop you from trying it out. From personal experience, I find cape only useful for stalling, not really gaining height.

Top Bottom