• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cape Counter

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
The super cape has many hidden uses, one of which includes the ability to counter special moves. For example, the cape, if used while Zelda is exploding a dins fire on you, will completely negate all damage to Mario. The cape an also counter Pikachu's thunder, transferring the attack's energy right back to Pikachu

please discuss the other uses for the cape's countering abilities.

EDIT: because this thread has not lead to discussion about the topic in any way, shape, or form, I entirely request that this be locked up immediately.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This is actually... quite commonly known ever since Melee, but I guess I should add this onto the sticky just in case.

In any case, you can cape Snake's Up-Smash with this too.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I know Pikachu's Thunder, damages Pikachu when caped. Same with Dins fire (But only when it explodes) Otherwise it will just negat any damage the move has. Similiar to the Earthbounds boys powerful PK thunda move I guess it's called. (I'd rather fludd them off them stage, but it's nice to cape powerful moves like that in friendlies.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You can cape anything. Seriously, was this even needed? Use Mario for more than three matches before making a thread in his character board.

bobson

Smash Lord
It works against anything that's counted as a projectile save for final smash-reliant moves. Din's Fire, PK Flash/Freeze, Lucario's Force Palm, etc. It also counters a bunch of assist trophy and Pokemon moves.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
some things the cape is essentially useless against some things, like snake's nikita missile, which not only does not fully reflect it, but snake can cancel it right then and there.

and i'm still trying to see if caping a din's fire will, say, make the game think that because you "reflected" the explosion, that whoever get's hit by the explosion and killed will be killed by mario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
some things the cape is essentially useless against some things, like snake's nikita missile, which not only does not fully reflect it, but snake can cancel it right then and there.
The cape timing's different, but you can reverse it. You just have to do it closer to Mario than usual.

Seriously dude, how long have you been using Mario? Why do you assume we don't know things just because you're just NOW finding them out?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
i don't use his cape as much as i probably should, but there isn't something like this on smashboards as far as i know.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
the only ones i found just talked about cape gliding, cape gimping, or caping standard projectiles back at opponents.

(from the ultimate mario guide/super mario sunshine fludd/cape guide)

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
The Cape is Your Friend.

*looks at the OP*

*looks at sig*

Lulz, thanks Ray.
Anytime. :laugh: Having that outlook saved me alot of headaches through the years. I just go right along with it. Going against it waste too much time, energy & effort.

SklyerOcon said it best. You can cape anything you touch. These particular things probably wasnt mentioned in any stickies, let alone what the cape does to each and every attack it touches. Or even what attacks you able to possibly reverse damage with.

Snakes U smash is the one that I'm in love with. It's one of them ZOMG moments because Snakes always use that move.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
SklyerOcon said it best. You can cape anything you touch. These particular things probably wasnt mentioned in any stickies, let alone what the cape does to each and every attack it touches. Or even what attacks you able to possibly reverse damage with.
Leave me alone! I'll get to it! :(

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't think we need a guide to say "cape turns stuff around". It's pretty much a given.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
lolwut? It's not even that serious. What would Wifi do anyways? Prove that the cape INDEED turns stuff around?
Its the only way to know for sure:laugh:

But i wouldnt mind playing someone on wifi. im kinda bored right now.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
course the cape turns stuff around, that's what it's made for. but countering din's fire, pika's thunder, and snake u-smash does not a "turns stuff around" make.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
course the cape turns stuff around, that's what it's made for. but countering din's fire, pika's thunder, and snake u-smash does not a "turns stuff around" make.
Okay, you win. You can take credit for something the Mario mains have known since the month of the game's release. Since there's nothing about it in the stickies, it's obviously your discovery.

Did you discover what buttons to press to "Fair" too?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I never said it wasn't known, i just put it up cause it wasn't here, it's not like I'm the first discoverer or anything, and everything Mario is capable of, was in the game from the beginning. creating a topic to discuss something that wasn't discuss before is not a crime, so please don't treat it like one.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You didn't have to 'discover' anything. You just had to hit the side-b while playing Mario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I never said it wasn't known, i just put it up cause it wasn't here, it's not like I'm the first discoverer or anything, and everything Mario is capable of, was in the game from the beginning. creating a topic to discuss something that wasn't discuss before is not a crime, so please don't treat it like one.
....*sigh*.....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4602685&highlight=Cape+thunder#post4602685

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4610071&highlight=Cape+thunder#post4610071

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4558363&highlight=Cape+thunder#post4558363

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4649723&highlight=Cape+thunder#post4649723

Why couldn't you use the search function like I did?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
those were specific comments that people posted in other non related threads. there was no discussion about this topic. i made this topic merely to discuss the uses of the cape in said area.

this is not news. this is discussion.

iMichael

Smash Lord
What's there to possibly discuss about the cape? Pros, Vets and newcomers know everything about it lol.

Thread close?

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I will admit he does have some relevance to his argument. Although Mario's special cape properties other than just turning stuff around are fully known to most players that have spent any extended time with Mario, I will admit there isn't a whole lot letting new Mario players know about them.

Should he have made a whole thread about it? No. Should he have asked around on current threads a little first? Yes. But to condemn him as an idiot isn't quite right either. There is a moderate lack of this type of info for anyone who has no experience with Mario.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Personally Melee Master, you should've just went to one of the stickies and posted there. I'm somewhat glad you brought it up though so I can remind myself to add this on the guide.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
those were specific comments that people posted in other non related threads. there was no discussion about this topic. i made this topic merely to discuss the uses of the cape in said area.

this is not news. this is discussion.
lol, okay. Whatever floats your boat. Since you're adamantly defending the purpose of this thread on something most Mario mains already know, I suppose I'll let it alone. I dunno how these discussions will go, however...

Dude 1: Did you know you can reverse Snake's side B?
Dude 2: No Wai!!! How do you do it?!
Dude 1: You cape it!
Dude 2: k.

I will admit he does have some relevance to his argument. Although Mario's special cape properties other than just turning stuff around are fully known to most players that have spent any extended time with Mario, I will admit there isn't a whole lot letting new Mario players know about them.

Should he have made a whole thread about it? No. Should he have asked around on current threads a little first? Yes. But to condemn him as an idiot isn't quite right either. There is a moderate lack of this type of info for anyone who has no experience with Mario.
He didn't even need to ask around, I was on the search function for 5 minutes. I typed in "Cape" and "Thunder" and found those threads from back around June.

But alright, if he wants to discuss it, it's w/e. He doesn't need my permission, I just think it's silly.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
seriously, if you will go about being like this, this thread will be better off locked anyway.

if you cape din's fire for example, that is not in any sense of the word "reversing it".

this thread "would" have been a discussion on the various uses of Mario's cape in otherwise uncommon functions. anyone playing brawl for more than 3 seconds can tell you exactly the purpose of Mario's cape. would he have known it can counter large explosive attacks? no.

discussion a topic that people already know about, but that is not universally completely known is not a bad idea. if you believe that this should have been in another thread instead of it's own, that's your belief. but threads are meant for starting discussions, and not for complaining about how you already know much about the topic at hand, and that there is no reason to discuss it.

because this thread has not lead to discussion about the topic in any way, shape, or form, I entirely request that this be locked up immediately.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
But alright, if he wants to discuss it, it's w/e. He doesn't need my permission, I just think it's silly.
It makes no difference to me, I already know. But you're certainly right that not everyone knows about these things, and a thread for easy access is probably a good idea. I mistook your intentions for one of the other billion threads popping up trying to tell us things we've known since melee, and trying to claim it as their own discovery.

Since it's NOT widely known, I suppose it's actually relevant to new Mario users. Discussion COULD bring forth new discoveries and has the potential to help the Mario metagame. So, I apologize. Do what you will.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
if this thread actually goes anywhere,instead of where it is right now, it can continue. otherwise, it will just be another lost topic to spam, and will be locked at the next mod's notice.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Basically this thread is just Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.....Am I right? There's nothing to really discuss and it should've been in the stickied thread if you wanted to post it that bad.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
trying to bring discussion to a not universally known technique of brawl is no way in the least spam. i'm not a person to make a thread arguing on whether Mario was better in melee than brawl or anything.

not like http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198338 (redundant) or http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197036 (pointless) or any other of the many spam threads plaguing the smashboards site.

main point - be on topic or if you don't think this thread is approppriate, then don't reply, and let a mod take care of it

iMichael

Smash Lord
Uh.....ok.....

most likely a mod isn't going to come in here so let the thread die down

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
go ahead, it's the only way for it to actually serve it's purpose, without becoming full of spammers.

Top Bottom