• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't stop jumping when wavedashing

jdmelody

Smash Apprentice
When I'm doing wavedashes in sequence in any variation that isn't super slow, I am always jumping by accident.

Now I know many will think, "you just gotta practice," "muscle memory bro," and stuff like that. But why would I want to practice something if I am doing it wrong and don't know how to fix it?

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and how I can prevent myself from doing it? I don't mind practicing, but practicing something that's a mistake seems pointless.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
stride is right. also keep in mind that wavedash timing varies between characters depending on how long it takes them to leave the ground. characters like fox and sheik will require an earlier air dodge than ones like falco and link.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Honestly the real best way to do this is to practice with different charicters. Start with Luigi (he has the most useful and easiest) and go down from the wavedash ranks until you reach your main. That might help with it

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Honestly the real best way to do this is to practice with different charicters. Start with Luigi (he has the most useful and easiest) and go down from the wavedash ranks until you reach your main. That might help with it
Luigi's isn't necessarily easier than any other characters; his is just the longest/fastest. He also has the same jumpsquat as 7 other characters, so if his is the easiest then theirs are all equally easy.

Learn wavedashing with your main; you'll have to learn your main's timing eventually anyway, and the sooner you can wavedash (with the character you actually use) the sooner you can start learning to apply it.

Jumpsquat durations
3 Frames: Fox, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, Samus, Sheik
4 Frames: Captain Falcon, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Young Link
5 Frames: Donkey Kong, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Peach, Roy, Yoshi
6 Frames: Ganondorf, Link, Zelda
8 Frames: Bowser

Last edited:

LionsBarrage458

Smash Rookie
I prefer to train by sounds. With Sheik, for example, when she jumps she makes sort of a "shoo" sound, and when she air dodges she makes a "hah" sound. When I pull off a wavedash the "hah" noise just barely cuts off the "shoo" noise. This may not be the case with all characters but regardless, I reccomend giving it a go by referring to your character's audio cues.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
If you do a frame-perfect wavedash, your character will not make the airdodge sound.

So if you want to learn how to do bad wavedashes go ahead and use those audio cues.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I practiced wavedashing with Samus. But I would recommend practicing with the character you choose to play as the most, because like others have said, wavedash timings differ from character to character.

mrdoingboing

Smash Cadet
If you do a frame-perfect wavedash, your character will not make the airdodge sound.

So if you want to learn how to do bad wavedashes go ahead and use those audio cues.
Plenty of characters make some sort of sound even if the wavedash is frame perfect. Sheik and Samus immediately come to mind. If the OP mains Sheik, then there's nothing wrong with him using the audio cues to practice wavedashing. Btw I love your videos <3

Anyways, if you keep getting a jump in the middle of consecutive wavedashes, try slowing down the inputs a little bit. As someone already mentioned, you probably inputted the air dodge before you went airborne (during the jumpsquat presumably) and you just lost the input altogether. Getting the rhythm down by wavedashing consecutively in place might be a good practice drill for the issue you're having.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Plenty of characters make some sort of sound even if the wavedash is frame perfect. Sheik and Samus immediately come to mind. If the OP mains Sheik, then there's nothing wrong with him using the audio cues to practice wavedashing. Btw I love your videos <3

Anyways, if you keep getting a jump in the middle of consecutive wavedashes, try slowing down the inputs a little bit. As someone already mentioned, you probably inputted the air dodge before you went airborne (during the jumpsquat presumably) and you just lost the input altogether. Getting the rhythm down by wavedashing consecutively in place might be a good practice drill for the issue you're having.
That sound comes from their jump. You would hear them whether or not you air dodge after the jumpsquat ends.

EDIT:
Think of Fox - the distinct "ottah" or "attah" when he air dodges. You do not hear that when people are wavedashing properly.

It's been said a bunch, but ya, most likely pressing it too fast. Wavedashes are actually frame perfect inputs, so don't sweat it if you mess them up sometimes. If you are jumping, too fast, if you see the air dodge animation start at all before you start sliding, too slow.

It's also quite common for people to do inputs too quickly in general. Stuff like when people get stuck in the turn-around animation and just keep turning back and forth instead of dash dancing is also the result of doing inputs too fast. There are quite a few examples but I won't bother listing them.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
As others have mentioned, take notes of the frames involved so you know whether you're "early" or "late" on your inputs.

After that, just practice it. If you're doing something wrong, your brain takes note of that and your muscle memory will adjust. When you do it right, the body introduces your muscles to drugs and degeneracy, which tempts your muscles into repeating the action. (The brain is like, "wow, that was good. Do it the same way this time!")

Last edited:
Top Bottom