• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't seem to let go . . .

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Link to original post: [drupal=5146]Can't seem to let go . . .[/drupal]

I quit smash, twice. I play from time to time casually, but whenever I go a long time without playing, I get this itch to play. Then I play, observe the flaws in the game, and then get upset again, and wonder why I just can't stay away. After rising to such a height in knowledge of the game, I grew to both love and despise it, and it constantly tournaments me. I try to be rid of it, but it was more than just a game for me. It was a lifestyle, and a culture, for years. I remember in high school (that was years ago, I'm 21 now) I used to walk around with my controller, so I could practice my tech skill in class.

I constantly think of getting back into the mix, but I know it's fruitless. I don't have the patience or dedication to get my technical skill to the level necessary to rise for the top, and I don't care to sit anywhere below the top. So I sit idly by, observing from a distance, not competing. But my passion isn't necessarily even for the competition. I really miss teaching. I miss staying up until 3am to finish up the new article I was writing, so that some one, somewhere, could maybe get a little bit better at the game. I miss checking a constantly full PM box (till I became a mod, then my PM box could not fill) asking for tips and questions, and answering them with unrivaled helpfulness and clarity. Hell, I miss yelling at people and telling them they were bad, and why they were bad until I was blue in the face, not because I wanted to hurt anyone's feelings, but because I just wanted them to be better, and dammit I was going to make them better even if through sheer willpower.

I constantly think about coming back to Smashboards, and resuming teaching. I've caught myself daydreaming about hosting video chat sessions, which are classes. I've imagined curriculum worth of content which I could teach anyone who wanted to learn. The other day, I was talking to my friend Mike on Skype, and I was watching a video of a Marth player who sought me out on Facebook (didn't even have him added on Facebook), and I started to explain it all to Mike, who doesn't even play Smash, all the flaws in the video. And when I had been teaching him for about half an hour, and I was only 2 minutes into the video, I finally caught myself and stopped. Not that Mike didn't seem uninterested, but I realized I hadn't even seen the whole video yet, and me and Mike had other stuff to talk about, and it was getting late.

But then I realize, I don't have the technology to do what I really want to do. I don't have the ability for group video chatting. I can't live stream. I just don't have the resources for any of this stuff. So instead, I just keep it to myself, and tell myself that coming back to Smash is probably a waste of time anyway.

But I just can't deny how I really feel.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
switch to a game of which the community actually demands theorycrafters/reviewers/coachers/otherwise non-gamer contributors and work your way up there

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
You should just go to local tournies to hang out, play friendlies and coach newbies and junk. You could help build your local scene that way, while also making the tournament experience a little more worthwhile and enjoyable for those people knocked out early in bracket, or didn't make it out of pools.

Even if you only did it once in awhile, you'd get that smash monkey off your back, meet some cool people, and teach people who need and appreciate it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Brother, you need to find a new game.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I really do need to find a new game. I wanted to Play League of Legends, but the fan on my laptop is damaged, and it overheats when I try and play anything strenuous, so that knocked online gaming out of the question, and I don't see much else that appeals to me. I went back to playing YuGiOh, and it's nice I guess, but it's not the same.

Top Bottom