• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't read the Brawl disc

Leto

Smash Rookie
So I searched on the forums for quite a bit and didn't come across a straight answer.

I recently imported both a Japanese Wii and a Japanese copy of Brawl. When I put in the disc, I always get an error (some question mark and a bunch of Japanese text displays).

I had read somewhere that this was due to a dirty lens, so I use a lens cleaning solution to make sure it was in pristine and dust-free condition. It still won't load. Since I bought this Wii used, and I'm not even in Japan, I somehow doubt I am eligible for Nintendo to take in the console and have them do whatever it is they do to it.

Has anyone else found any solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
My friend and I ran into the same problem today actually. Its got something to do with how the information is put onto the Brawl disc, I didn't delve into it all too much, my friend was doing most of the research. In a nut shell, it seems that the data is put onto the Brawl disc in a way that some Wii's are unable to read it. The most common solution we've found is by burning a copy of Brawl onto a regular one layer DVD (5 I think?) and running it that way. You could also potentially try forcing an update on your Wii's firmware.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i've got this same problem. my dad is going to take the whole wii apart tomarrow and manually clean the reader. he's a technology guy so hopefully it will work.

how would you burn brawl onto a regular dvd? maybe it's something i should look into

pirkid

Smash Lord
I must say, that's really sucks for you.

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done by Nintendo since your not really supposed to have a Japan Wii, is there?

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i had no intention of relying on nintendo on this one. like i said i'm trying other means to fix the problem. i gotta say this is the biggest pile of bull**** i can take. going through all the effort and money to get brawl early cause i'm just that obsessive a gamer, and all for nothing..

Top Bottom