• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't deal with Item spam-Gravity pool useless

roygbiv91

Smash Cadet
Hi,

i often deal online with Bowser Jr., Pacman, Pikachu, Link or Falco Players. These Players just spam projectiles and roll through the whole Map. If i gravity pull they use the animation to hit me or just w8. I always get impatient and rush in. The result is missile hits and a roll or smash punish.

So often Bowser Jr. just spams car, jumps out and rolls and repeats or Pacman spams Hydrant and fruits. I feel so helpless with Rosas short grab. Any help or suggestions?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
In the case of a Bowser Jr. spamming the car thing, just short-hop and Dair him out of it. His projectiles aren't much of a threat either, since they're rather slow. In the case of the mechakoopa attack, assuming Jr.'s not too close to punish you, use Gravity pull, immediately grab the wind-up toy, and chuck it his direction. He requires a bit of patience, but he isn't too hard. Just be mindful of edge-guarding him if he's above you, as his Up B can potentially cause the clown car to hit you, and those things do a surprising amount of damage and knockback.

Pacman is a son of a b**** to deal with. His hydrant can be dealt with by Usmashing it, or Gravity pulling it. As for his fruit throws, you need to be on the defensive, because good Pac-Man players will not throw them until you're open, including being carelessly aggressive. You need to try and outzone him with a combination of Ftilts and jabs. If he's in the air, Uair is the best option, but be careful with his hydrant (god, I hate that move!).

Falco's projectiles are slow, and he can't short-hop laser the way he used to in Melee and Brawl, so don't fear his laser (though still respect them). Just approach to bait out what he'll do and react accordingly. His ground game isn't as strong as Rosalina's so you can get the better of him.

Link is really annoying, because his ground game is overall better than Rosalina's. He has great range and kill power, plus three different projectiles to boot. His Dair eats through much of Rosalina's Uair, so he can't be juggled very easily. His Zair also has good range. While the range of his sword can't quite get past Luma to Rosalina, it can knock Luma into a tumble state, meaning if Luma gets launched off the stage, Rosalina will be at the mercy of Link's shenanigans. No matter how you look at it, the matchup vs. Link is not fun for Rosalina, especially if said Link happens to be a good, dedicated Link main.

I know nothing about Pikachu, sadly, so I can't comment on that.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
In the case of a Bowser Jr. spamming the car thing, just short-hop and Dair him out of it. His projectiles aren't much of a threat either, since they're rather slow. In the case of the mechakoopa attack, assuming Jr.'s not too close to punish you, use Gravity pull, immediately grab the wind-up toy, and chuck it his direction. He requires a bit of patience, but he isn't too hard. Just be mindful of edge-guarding him if he's above you, as his Up B can potentially cause the clown car to hit you, and those things do a surprising amount of damage and knockback.

Pacman is a son of a b**** to deal with. His hydrant can be dealt with by Usmashing it, or Gravity pulling it. As for his fruit throws, you need to be on the defensive, because good Pac-Man players will not throw them until you're open, including being carelessly aggressive. You need to try and outzone him with a combination of Ftilts and jabs. If he's in the air, Uair is the best option, but be careful with his hydrant (god, I hate that move!).

Falco's projectiles are slow, and he can't short-hop laser the way he used to in Melee and Brawl, so don't fear his laser (though still respect them). Just approach to bait out what he'll do and react accordingly. His ground game isn't as strong as Rosalina's so you can get the better of him.

Link is really annoying, because his ground game is overall better than Rosalina's. He has great range and kill power, plus three different projectiles to boot. His Dair eats through much of Rosalina's Uair, so he can't be juggled very easily. His Zair also has good range. While the range of his sword can't quite get past Luma to Rosalina, it can knock Luma into a tumble state, meaning if Luma gets launched off the stage, Rosalina will be at the mercy of Link's shenanigans. No matter how you look at it, the matchup vs. Link is not fun for Rosalina, especially if said Link happens to be a good, dedicated Link main.

I know nothing about Pikachu, sadly, so I can't comment on that.
Pikachu is an awful match-up. He's fast, has comparable recovery to ours, much more combo potential, much faster, and evasive as hell. You should shield the thundershocks, or use Luma to sponge them. But honestly, the Pikachu matchup has next to nothing to do with projectiles, so it's irrelevant to the title, and needs its own thread. It's just far too hard, and needs to be treated like Sonic or Falcon. There's no other way. Especially if it's an ESAM Pikachu.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Pikachu is an awful match-up. He's fast, has comparable recovery to ours, much more combo potential, much faster, and evasive as hell. You should shield the thundershocks, or use Luma to sponge them. But honestly, the Pikachu matchup has next to nothing to do with projectiles, so it's irrelevant to the title, and needs its own thread. It's just far too hard, and needs to be treated like Sonic or Falcon. There's no other way. Especially if it's an ESAM Pikachu.
It's fun baiting a Thunder and using GPull on it, but yeah. Pikachu's annoying to deal with on the best of days.

Top Bottom