• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cancer in the community

Ty Gillis

Smash Rookie
I honestly would like to know why people hate on melee so much. For example; some will call melee trash but never back up their opinions other than the argument that it's glitchy. Why is melee despised by the rest of the smash community?

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I don't despise Melee and used to watch it but won't play it competitively because of its terrible balance.

Last edited:

Ty Gillis

Smash Rookie
I don't despise Melee and used to watch it but won't play it competitively because of its terrible balance.
I'm willing to disagree to a point. I will agree that the bottom tier has little to no chance in beating somebody like Fox but on the other hand, a skilled Roy or young link can beat a high tier character with proper reads

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
I don't understand why people hate melee I love playing melee competitively and the people in the melee community are always helpful. For people to hate melee they probably never played it.

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
Because Melee is the best smash, fighting game ever made. Nobody will ever convince Melee fans otherwise, myself included. Melee is super technical, therefore it is hard to play, therefore we believe the game takes a tremendous amount of skill to play. The younger generation of people is very quick to complain, not accept something for how it is and want changes made bc of their personal preference. It's why you see "balance patches" in almost every game nowadays whether something is balanced or not if people complain it gets changed. A modern day melee would likely see fox nerfed and wobbling removed whether the majority or minority want those changes just bc they are frequently complained about. So the Melee community as far as no patches, no dev support, other than the fact we love Melee we honestly aren't spoiled by outside factors. So your average Melee player/fan thinks they have the best game and one that isn't for scrubs, it isn't noob friendly, and thus this isolates a lot of the casual audience. This also makes people perceive the Melee community as conceited, bc we believe we have the best game and everything else is inferior, not different, inferior.
Most people will acknowledge Brawl isn't as good of a game as Melee. Sm4sh tried to portray this image of it's a mix of brawl and melee. But it's not, it's considerably more beginner friendly and game mechanics such as untechable tumble and rage are seen as noob friendly, not competitive aspects of the game. Rage essentially rewards a player not for surviving but simply for taking damage. So Sm4sh comes across as like a better version of brawl, but for a lesser skilled casual audience.
To be fair yeah, Melee fans are prob are a little bit stuck in our ways, not accepting of change bc the changes that have been offered to us are less than desirable. So you have Melee fans that could easily be viewed as stuck in the past, unreasonable about other smash games, conceited, etc. Then you take the sm4sh crowd which can come across as whiny, less technical and thereby less skilled, and childish. Since there's typically an age gap, a maturity gap, a generation gap, whatever you wanna call it instead of uniting as 1 smash community with 2 games you end up with 2 smash communities with very little cross-over representation. Only a small handful of players are known for playing both games. Even commentators as well, very little cross over as TK Breezy and D1 are more considered sm4sh commentators now.
I can't fully explain it other than both Melee and non-Melee fans are both to some extent at fault. It's just someone who is opinionated says one negative thing and it sets off a chain reaction. Someone says Melee is bad, all you guys do is play Fox. They are uneducated and it triggers people, makes them upset, bc melee is there game, they take it personally. In contrast a melee fan can be like tr4sh sucks, everyone plays cloud and bayo bc you need dlc characters and your game is just shielding and camping and takes no skill and then sm4sh fans get offended bc they take their game personally. It's just a cycle of some people are immature and want to start drama, they don't get enough attention in their lives so they get joy out of a random reaction online, they feel good if they get under someone's skin. Immaturity on both sides. Sm4sh and Melee are 2 different games and the communities can and should help each other bc they can benefit from each other's success. But people would rather trash talk a game bc it isn't the one they like the most.
It's honestly a childish civil war in smash between melee and sm4sh. I love Melee but i have friends that play sm4sh so i end up playing both. I prefer melee but both games are fun. You're honestly not gonna see either side mature, it's just gonna be aggressive insults and sadly it'll probably only get worse. Melee HD would hurt sm4sh and there would be more trash talk as would sm5sh as it would instantly kill sm4sh, and a sm4sh port on the switch likely wouldn't help out melee (don't know how much it would really hurt it though).

It's hated because it's different. People can't play nice, they only can talk in insults just because they don't like particular things about a different game. Keyboard warriors on both sides are just gonna fight forever bc some people are just awful. Unless a new smash game comes and kills both Melee and Sm4sh you won't find a unification in the smash community I fear.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Because Melee is the best smash, fighting game ever made. Nobody will ever convince Melee fans otherwise, myself included. Melee is super technical, therefore it is hard to play, therefore we believe the game takes a tremendous amount of skill to play. The younger generation of people is very quick to complain, not accept something for how it is and want changes made bc of their personal preference. It's why you see "balance patches" in almost every game nowadays whether something is balanced or not if people complain it gets changed. A modern day melee would likely see fox nerfed and wobbling removed whether the majority or minority want those changes just bc they are frequently complained about. So the Melee community as far as no patches, no dev support, other than the fact we love Melee we honestly aren't spoiled by outside factors. So your average Melee player/fan thinks they have the best game and one that isn't for scrubs, it isn't noob friendly, and thus this isolates a lot of the casual audience. This also makes people perceive the Melee community as conceited, bc we believe we have the best game and everything else is inferior, not different, inferior.
Most people will acknowledge Brawl isn't as good of a game as Melee. Sm4sh tried to portray this image of it's a mix of brawl and melee. But it's not, it's considerably more beginner friendly and game mechanics such as untechable tumble and rage are seen as noob friendly, not competitive aspects of the game. Rage essentially rewards a player not for surviving but simply for taking damage. So Sm4sh comes across as like a better version of brawl, but for a lesser skilled casual audience.
To be fair yeah, Melee fans are prob are a little bit stuck in our ways, not accepting of change bc the changes that have been offered to us are less than desirable. So you have Melee fans that could easily be viewed as stuck in the past, unreasonable about other smash games, conceited, etc. Then you take the sm4sh crowd which can come across as whiny, less technical and thereby less skilled, and childish. Since there's typically an age gap, a maturity gap, a generation gap, whatever you wanna call it instead of uniting as 1 smash community with 2 games you end up with 2 smash communities with very little cross-over representation. Only a small handful of players are known for playing both games. Even commentators as well, very little cross over as TK Breezy and D1 are more considered sm4sh commentators now.
I can't fully explain it other than both Melee and non-Melee fans are both to some extent at fault. It's just someone who is opinionated says one negative thing and it sets off a chain reaction. Someone says Melee is bad, all you guys do is play Fox. They are uneducated and it triggers people, makes them upset, bc melee is there game, they take it personally. In contrast a melee fan can be like tr4sh sucks, everyone plays cloud and bayo bc you need dlc characters and your game is just shielding and camping and takes no skill and then sm4sh fans get offended bc they take their game personally. It's just a cycle of some people are immature and want to start drama, they don't get enough attention in their lives so they get joy out of a random reaction online, they feel good if they get under someone's skin. Immaturity on both sides. Sm4sh and Melee are 2 different games and the communities can and should help each other bc they can benefit from each other's success. But people would rather trash talk a game bc it isn't the one they like the most.
It's honestly a childish civil war in smash between melee and sm4sh. I love Melee but i have friends that play sm4sh so i end up playing both. I prefer melee but both games are fun. You're honestly not gonna see either side mature, it's just gonna be aggressive insults and sadly it'll probably only get worse. Melee HD would hurt sm4sh and there would be more trash talk as would sm5sh as it would instantly kill sm4sh, and a sm4sh port on the switch likely wouldn't help out melee (don't know how much it would really hurt it though).

It's hated because it's different. People can't play nice, they only can talk in insults just because they don't like particular things about a different game. Keyboard warriors on both sides are just gonna fight forever bc some people are just awful. Unless a new smash game comes and kills both Melee and Sm4sh you won't find a unification in the smash community I fear.
I like you.

+100 cool points

Happens2u

Writing Team
Anyone who trashes another Smash game is a tool who's wasting valuable oxygen on the planet and doesn't deserve attention.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
The overall community itself sucks balls. There's the fair share of good players who don't come off as a pieces of s***, but there's too many people who I don't consider a functioning human at times. For instance, have you seen the comment section for YouTube videos about Hungrybox? Disgusting. There's some cancer on this website too, a couple posts have people being total a**holes to others for outright no reasonreLet's not forget the keyboard warrior legion over on Reddit and some other less noteable sites who some people don't even play the game yet talk as if they're omnipotent. People discuss how Melee is the ultimate superior fighting game, how Sm4sh is for losers, yada yada. Not to mention the arguments over wobbling, a ledge grab limit. A tournament I went to recently had a player arguing over how Fox should be banned from special rules in further locals. And to top it all off: the players who physically rage at this game; throwing controllers, cussing and fighting IN PUBLIC. At times, Melee is called a children's game because that's how some people are.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
even banning Fox because Fox players are getting better. And to top it all off: the players who physically rage at this game; throwing controllers, cussing and fighting IN PUBLIC. At times, Melee is called a children's game because that's how some people are.
Where are people talking about banning Fox?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Where are people talking about banning Fox?
At a tournament at OSU which I attended, a player was arguing with a TO about how Fox players have won every local this month and should be banned which was true. He was not allowed to attend more tournaments which was agreed upon in the OSU Facebook group for his constant harrassment. Looking at my old post, it sounds like there's a bunch of online threads about the topic which isn't apparent, I will change that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom