• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cancelling Nair's landing lag

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I did not see this anywhere so I thought I would post about it.

Nair's IASA frames actually start before its AC frames. By chance, it is also that when you do a short hop non fast falled nair your IASA frames begin before you hit the ground but your AC frames do not so Ryu still has landing lag. We can abuse this by imputing another move before landing. I was unable to find an aerial with immediate IASA frames, but I know a lot of characters have them so if it turns out one of Ryu's aerials has this that move could be inputted before landing to Cancel the landing lag.

The immediate use for this is the fact that approaching the IASA frames of nair, you can begin to input commands for a special and do the special before Ryu lands. You can also just straight up do specials before you hit the ground if the commands are to hard. What makes the commands difficult in the air is that you have to do a weak down input to avoid fast fall. If you fast fall you land on the ground and it doesn't work.

My favorite tactic so far has been to follow nair up with a FA and possible a dash cancel, or if I hit with the nair to DP for mas damage.

Nightshift

Smash Cadet
NNID
jpzwickau
3DS FC
3196-4245-0422
At around 52% on Mario, I was able to run up, do an immediate rising nair, then a falling nair, then immediately run and dash grab.
It looks awesome like mortal kombat x, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to pull this off in for glory. Probably because I have no idea how to prepare for the run up part. Also, does ryu have any follow ups from grabs?

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
At around 52% on Mario, I was able to run up, do an immediate rising nair, then a falling nair, then immediately run and dash grab.
It looks awesome like mortal kombat x, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to pull this off in for glory. Probably because I have no idea how to prepare for the run up part. Also, does ryu have any follow ups from grabs?
At low percents he can possibly land a fair (15 damage or 8 depending on sweetspot) He can also seem to hit them with a Heavy Utilt into a shoryuken at low percents. anything higher is not guaranteed

Nightshift

Smash Cadet
NNID
jpzwickau
3DS FC
3196-4245-0422
Thanks. I find fair to be a pretty bad move because it in itself has no followups.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Thanks. I find fair to be a pretty bad move because it in itself has no followups.
The sweetspot, the one that does 15 or 13 damage doesn't. The sourspot, the one does 8 damage, has pretty good follow ups.

Nightshift

Smash Cadet
NNID
jpzwickau
3DS FC
3196-4245-0422
Wow, ok. I don't main ryu, anyway, so I'll take your word for it. What is DP?

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Wow, ok. I don't main ryu, anyway, so I'll take your word for it. What is DP?
Dragon Punch. Dragon Punch and Shoryuken are interchangeable. It's Ryu's Up B move, if you are doing it with inputs it's Forward, Down, Down Foward.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What makes the commands difficult in the air is that you have to do a weak down input to avoid fast fall. If you fast fall you land on the ground and it doesn't work.
To avoid FFing I would suggest doing the aerial with the cstick. If you flick it you get the aerial without the FF.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
so i'm going to test this out later, most aerials have an autocancel window at the very start of the move, so i'm curious if you can nair and then do like a fair or uair before hiting the ground to cancel the landing lag of nair. that's how people do the SH air dodge lagless landing trick, it has iasa frames that can occur before the air dodge will give you landing lag. i forget what name people came up for the tech.
so like with rosalina she can air dodge and then use her easiest move t oautocancel which is fair because it has a 6 frame autocanceling window.

if this is possible i'm going to totally be even more geeked out with this character.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
To avoid FFing I would suggest doing the aerial with the cstick. If you flick it you get the aerial without the FF.
Not fast falling from the aerial, from the inputs for command specials.
Preforming a dair with the c stick at the apex of your jump will still make you fastfall.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
you can double nair. you can hit with the first hit of sour spot nair and then immediately go into another. in one shorthop.

Top Bottom