• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canceling Air Dodge Landing Lag

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
For those who don't know, when you air dodge, you will have about 20 frames of landing lag the next time you land. While you cannot cancel the landing lag during an air dodge, you can cancel the landing lag after the end of an air dodge. All you have to do is use an aerial that has auto-cancel frames at the start of it right before you land. When done right, you won't have air dodge landing lag or aerial landing lag when you land. This will not work with all aerials. For example, with Link you will need to use uair or dair to cancel the lag.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Awesome works great! Much better than run back and forth the new wavedash/AT. Actually useful stuff.

Senario

Smash Ace
Awesome works great! Much better than run back and forth the new wavedash/AT. Actually useful stuff.
You really need to read up on why dash dancing and Wavedashing are useful if you think they aren't useful lol.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
You really need to read up on why dash dancing and Wavedashing are useful if you think they aren't useful lol.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about "moondashing" and not melee's dashdance

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure he's talking about "moondashing" and not melee's dashdance
Bingo. I am not discrediting melee's advanced techniques or any good advanced techniques. I am just commenting on the abundance of perceived AT discoveries that are no more than trivial movements aimed at finding the next "wavedash". Oh and I almost forgot "LOL".

Senario

Smash Ace
Bingo. I am not discrediting melee's advanced techniques or any good advanced techniques. I am just commenting on the abundance of perceived AT discoveries that are no more than trivial movements aimed at finding the next "wavedash". Oh and I almost forgot "LOL".
Fair enough. I misread it at the time. Though I wilk say all these silly names people come up with for new "AT" are hilarious. They have nowhere near the same practical application nor a good basis for where they come from. Wavedashing looks like marvel wavedashing. Dash dancing is unique to smash and was the only outlier in name. L cancelling stands for lag cancelling and one option for doing so so that made sense. A lot of newer names dont make sense.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Back before Brawl came out, someone discovered the "AT" tripping in the demo and called it ink dropping. :facepalm:
People are just so desperate to find something just to give it a stupid name.

Hoser

Smash Ace
Back before Brawl came out, someone discovered the "AT" tripping in the demo and called it ink dropping. :facepalm:
People are just so desperate to find something just to give it a stupid name.
New AT Discovered: Name Bombing

How to do:

1: Press random directions and buttons until something that looks abnormal happens.
2: Name it something nonsensical or rip of the name of an existing AT.
3: ???
4: Profit.

Can I haz fame now?

But in all some seriousness, and more on topic, awesome discovery. It's like a new L-Canceling. We could call it A-Canceling :trollface:

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
We should have a concensus among senate to name things based on what the AT actually does instead of arbitray names. Just saying.

Air dodge auto canceling. ADAC. Simple and explanatory in name.

Senario

Smash Ace
All these people coming up with silly names for advanced techniques without understanding if itll have a practical application or how to use it.

Last edited:

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
This sounds like it will be extremely difficult to execute properly especially consistently. Basically if you perform the aerial too early you lose the invincibly of the air dodge and are open to attack, but do it too late and you'll suffer landing lag. The need to be frame perfect might be a bit of a stretch, but it's not too far from it either.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
This is something that people who used characters in Brawl with a zair should already be accustomed to. With a little adjustment, of course.

Sounds like it'll have its uses for sure.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This sounds like it will be extremely difficult to execute properly especially consistently. Basically if you perform the aerial too early you lose the invincibly of the air dodge and are open to attack, but do it too late and you'll suffer landing lag. The need to be frame perfect might be a bit of a stretch, but it's not too far from it either.
Buffering tho. There is no need to be frame-perfect, just knowing which attack will cause the lag cancel.

Top Bottom