• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada to Suffer from Withdrawls?

sdhonda

Smash Cadet
Most major games release in canada the same time as US. Occaisonally they are off some days in some regions, like outside the major cities, but usually they ship the same day as the US.

Even then, any delays us canadians see will probably be only a few days.

Garuda

Smash Ace
I wouldn't sweat it. The 1st and 31st (or 30th, 29th) of any month are VERY common dates set for retailers, especially their websites.

Camalach

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for double post but the Toys r us website lists it as shipping on April 1st.

Card

Smash Lord
I'm in Montreal, Canada, and I just reserved/pre-ordered Brawl at my local EB Games (on the 5th of January to be precise). I spoke with the clerk a while and he was telling me how psyched he is for this game, and how it's coming out so soon. He then confirmed that it was going to be released on February 10th (as usual). Unfortunately, my pre-order receipt does not have the date written on it, so I can't check. But I will call tomorrow and double-check for you all.

TheBeast

Smash Rookie
i went on best buy and it says estimated release date march 31st! and even on the description it says please note release date subject to change.

*unneeded link, edited out*

here's the link! don't worry people. EB Games will have my copy on sunday! i don't care!

Zek

Smash Ace
Guys, don't waste your time asking questions to retail clerks. They don't know anything that isn't public knowledge. The best they can do is tell you what their computers say, which is frequently just false.

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
Your pre-order receipt lacks a date for this reason exactly.
Hassle, dudes.

And while I'm sure it's nothing but a pinch of a scare, it's still a bone-chilling thought. I've never felt the daggers that PAL-locked gamers must face on a crazy-often basis.

kidicaruspwner

Smash Rookie
dang...i live in canada, so, i hope this isn't true. I live like 5 hours from the border too. dang. This better be just a mistake

woot! post 50!

cynar

Smash Apprentice
dang...i live in canada, so, i hope this isn't true. I live like 5 hours from the border too. dang. This better be just a mistake

woot! post 50!

1. This is just a rumour, websites make mistakes all the time. (Futureshop had galaxy listed as Dec. 17th)

2. They could be covering their butt just in case(which leads into number 3)

3. Several sites in the United States have done this as well, namely gamefly and gamecrazy.

Ebgames, bestbuy.com and walmart still have the game as February 10th. I wouldn't worry about a delay until you actually hear it from Nintendo on the dojo or in a press release.

Besides, it's too close to release for a delay now. They have to be far along into production/shipping of the game at this point. Especially judging from the Japanese commercial and advertising blitz going on right now.

Bahful

Smash Apprentice
I'm in Montreal, Canada, and I just reserved/pre-ordered Brawl at my local EB Games (on the 5th of January to be precise). I spoke with the clerk a while and he was telling me how psyched he is for this game, and how it's coming out so soon. He then confirmed that it was going to be released on February 10th (as usual). Unfortunately, my pre-order receipt does not have the date written on it, so I can't check. But I will call tomorrow and double-check for you all.

Card, which EB did you check at? I spoke with an employee of the EB at Fairview today and he said the release has been postponed to March 1st.
The reason a delay doesn't sound so implausible is because there have been talks of Quebec implementing a deal that would require games to be produced in French before a version of either language can be sold on store shelves
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/08/17/games-french.html

GKirby

Smash Apprentice

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
ebgames and gamestop still list Feb. 10th on the website, unless there is a .ca version of the page

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet
Yea, same with me regarding Galaxy. We typically get games a few days after the American release(I think if pre-ordered, one may be able to get it the same date. Correct me if I'm wrong.), but I doubt we'll see a delay such as that.

The games complete, no reason to delay it.
We uaslly get games the same day as America...at least big cities like Toronto and Vancouver do.

Masky64

Smash Cadet
Card, which EB did you check at? I spoke with an employee of the EB at Fairview today and he said the release has been postponed to March 1st.
The reason a delay doesn't sound so implausible is because there have been talks of Quebec implementing a deal that would require games to be produced in French before a version of either language can be sold on store shelves
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/08/17/games-french.html
That only applies to games sold in Quebec.

Phisson Mailed.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
When I preordered the game from best buy it said it was coming on september 30 (I'm canadian)

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I dont think we'll be getting a month late we never do and if that is the case i'll just order it online but i really really really doubt it is.

clockwerkz

Smash Rookie
just called my local EB Games
confirming the fact that yes, brawl will be released on the 10th of feb.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I know Rock Band was delayed in Canada for a month or two, but I somehow doubt that it would take as long to translate Brawl into English and French (our other, less cool official language). If it is true, I will drive across the border to the US of A on Feb. 9th and camp out in front of the first game retailer I find. No joke.

Kudgel

Smash Rookie
Only reason for a delay is Quebec, where I live. They need to translate booklets / games into french, and they want to include our slang too, like they did with Zelda for one.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
That's really not fair though. We have to wait for two translations? Why not wait for all the languages. We are multi-cultural afer all.. (pretend I said that in a pissed off voice)

Okysho

Smash Ace
Wow awesome! I live in Windsor too! But honestly, the best buy in Windsor says still Dec 3rd... RETAILERS ARE UNRELIABLE! FEB 10th! I'VE HAD THIS THING PRE-ORDERED SINCE e# (June or July) I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!! MWAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Okysho

Smash Ace
Wow awesome! I live in Windsor too! But honestly, the best buy in Windsor says still Dec 3rd... RETAILERS ARE UNRELIABLE! FEB 10th! I'VE HAD THIS THING PRE-ORDERED SINCE e# (June or July) I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!! MWAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Drake3

Smash Ace
I know Rock Band was delayed in Canada for a month or two, but I somehow doubt that it would take as long to translate Brawl into English and French (our other, less cool official language). If it is true, I will drive across the border to the US of A on Feb. 9th and camp out in front of the first game retailer I find. No joke.
...I totally forgot about Rock Band. But I think that's a special case because of the instruments and stuff. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

That's really not fair though. We have to wait for two translations? Why not wait for all the languages. We are multi-cultural afer all.. (pretend I said that in a pissed off voice)
We're multi-cultural but we only have 2 official languages.

MSS

Smash Cadet
I'm not Canadian, but this could be a delay for all of NA...and even if it is only for Canada I will still join you guys if you want to go blow Japan up.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I think it's impossible for it to be delayed for Canada and then not for the US. What kind of sense does that make anyway? We got Wii at the same time as they did, also all the other big titles on their announced release dates also.

There's this false source going around that there will be another delay, so some people are making assumptions. Don't let them get to you. If it's not on the dojo, it's not official

DreamFiend633

Smash Apprentice
I called all of the EB Games where I live and asked the release date. March 1st. When I told them that every store and official company-owned game website are saying February 10th, and the guy said, and I quote, "They just haven't changed it yet." So I said, "So everywhere in North America still thinks they are getting February 10th, and all the EB Games in Ontario have the changed release date?" And all the guy said was, "I guess so." I just hung up on him.

C00P

Smash Cadet
HERE IS A FACT TO CLOSE TO THREAD PLEASE!

I work at a Microplay (Canadian Videogame Chain) and we are getting it feb 10th. There has been ZERO... absolutely Zero indication of a delay. I have discussed with the owner of getting my hands on it the second we get the shipment so i'll be sure to post when this happens.

Bottom line... Feb 10th is brawls release... and yes HMV had flyers printed with the same date. Suck my balls EB, Best Buy and Future Shop... LONG LIVE THE LITTLE GAMESTORE!

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so we have little Microplay and mildly-unreliable HMV still saying Feb. 10. For all that I believe that's when we'll all be getting it, there's still the problem that EB, Best Buy, and Future Shop say otherwise. And until we get official word out of them (and I mean like, website-official, not "My small EBGames in Northern Ontario says..."), there's still the possibility that some of us may have to wait.

Card

Smash Lord
Okay, so we have little Microplay and mildly-unreliable HMV still saying Feb. 10. For all that I believe that's when we'll all be getting it, there's still the problem that EB, Best Buy, and Future Shop say otherwise. And until we get official word out of them (and I mean like, website-official, not "My small EBGames in Northern Ontario says..."), there's still the possibility that some of us may have to wait.
I'm going to call a variety of retailers in Montreal in about 30-45 minutes. I could not get around to it yesterday unfortunately. I will keep you all posted on my findings.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to call a variety of retailers in Montreal in about 30-45 minutes. I could not get around to it yesterday unfortunately. I will keep you all posted on my findings.
Thanks man. I think I'm going to call the EBGames that's nearest my parent's house. It's the biggest one I've ever seen, but it's in a smaller city (I'd call it a big town). See what I get there.

Top Bottom