• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you stop Aether Spam?

Luigi_Factor

Florida_OWNaGe
Is there any solid way to stop ike from grabbing the ledge, falling down, then aether back up over and over again?

(Sorry if this exists someplace else, search returned nothing relevant to what i was looking for.)

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Well you should probably just wait, tournaments will have judges that'll call for stalling.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure how to beat it. >_>

r0ck L337

Smash Rookie
If you hit Ike while he is away from his sword he falls. And dies. And doesnt come back. :laugh:

So wait for him to throw his sword up.

And hit him between the time his sword goes up and the point that he jumps up to it.

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
If you hit Ike while he is away from his sword he falls. And dies. And doesnt come back. :laugh:

So wait for him to throw his sword up.

And hit him between the time his sword goes up and the point that he jumps up to it.
Thats a load of bull****. You don't budge when you aether, it's called super armor

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
If you've played Ike extensively, like I have, you'd know that the super armor doesn't last the entire Aether. =P

Doing what he said would work if you did it right, but it would also be very risky. Most of the people I've seen that went after an Aether staller died. It does have spiking properties. The safest bet is to wait it out, cause the Ike is usually baiting you.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
2 ways.

counter
hit where the sword is spinning right when ike is about to grab it.

hit here ---> X <-- sword spins here
ccvzczcvzvzvz\
thistextisjustplf\
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk\
mmmmmmmmmm ike

start hittting this spot ---> X <-- sword spins here
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk\
jjjjjjmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmike
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk\
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkjk\

ignore the placeholder text

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
That particular method doesn't work too well if the Ike can space his Aether correctly. In such a case, the sword will be below the edge.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
What you do is pick Snake and slow-fire a Nikita right around the ledge he's trying to grab. He'll explode eventually.

Alternatively, someone like Pikachu could use quick attack to ledgehog just before Ike's Aether grabs it. Watch vids of Anther to see it in Melee.

Also I dunno if any of this crap works since I'm just guessing. I'm tossing this out for other people to test.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
if you time it right jump on the ledge and use your invul frames to stop ike from getting back on... my sonic friend did that to me a few times yesterday ><

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
2 ways.

counter
hit where the sword is spinning right when ike is about to grab it.

hit here ---> X <-- sword spins here
ccvzczcvzvzvz\
thistextisjustplf\
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk\
mmmmmmmmmm ike

start hittting this spot ---> X <-- sword spins here
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk\
jjjjjjmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmike
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk\
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkjk\

ignore the placeholder text
just quick draw the baka on his way down, then laugh at him for picking your character. I honestly do see this causing character johns...

Luigi_Factor

Florida_OWNaGe
what happens if they grab the ledge, and fast fall, and do the up B at the peak, where it protects the ledge from being edge hogged by you and just keep spamming that, to waste time. I cannot find a decent counter to it yet, without putting yourself in danger. By either jumping off and hitting ike on the way up from behind, or timing a smash attack on his way up(or down tilt)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I've had the game for a month and main Ike.
If you're using Marth, Lucario or Ike, counter
And yeah, Ike only has SAF when he starts the Aether. Once he moves up, he's vulnerable. You can hit him at any point of the move.
You can also use an edge recovery attack to attack, if you time it right. I do it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqLoXSs6Mw0&fmt=6 @ about 2:50

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The beginning and end of Aether getssuperarmor.
The first part where he throws the sword and the bottom where he FIRST lands. Anytime afterh e lands and is sitll crouching has no SA. I Fsmashed him with Sonic and it knocked him away.

I believe he has no SA when he leaps for the sword as well. ON the way down im not sure since I haven't whacked him at that moment.

Top Bottom