• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you not die off the top of the screen while using ballon trip?

CRUNCH

Smash Cadet
At least in the American demo, this seems to be the case. If you get hit close to the top of the screen and then spam up-b, you can get insanely high. I tried this out a few times and I was never able to do it to a point where I actually was KOed. Furthermore, when the move terminates and you begin to free fall, you still remain off screen for an extended period of time (around 2 seconds).

So it seems like ballon trip actually extends the height of the bounding box of the stage. This is a bit different than other moves that prevent you from dying at the boundary. For example, I'm pretty sure Pikachu's final smash stops you from going off screen? (although I'm not certain about his; I remember this being the case in Brawl). But here, the invisible walls that contain the move are defined by the map's original bounding box. This checked out when I tested it. I played against a CPU Pikachu on BF, and when he did his final smash, I ballon-tripped up off the top of the screen, he chased me, but wasn't able to reach me until I free-fell down to his position.

Not that avoiding final smashes will be important for competitive play, but maybe this could be useful when DI-ing and avoiding top-screen KOs? So example, if you break your hit stun with ballon trip, it stops your outward momentum, but it pops you up a bit. If it were the case that the stage's bounding box wasn't affected by ballon trip, you might end up killing yourself (so here it might be better to take your chances with continuing your path to the corner of the screen). But since it extends the height of the stage, I think there could be situations where you could save yourself this way.

I'm unsure whether the last bit is actually true, but it might be worth looking at. Either way, I guess if you're playing with items in a FFA, it could be a useful trick for avoiding OP items and final smashes.

Last edited:

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
You cannot self destruct off the top. You couldnt in brawl, and I believe melee so it is exactly the same.
And yes Ive been maining villager so far and using balloon trip to avoid combat it very fun and rewarding. Just wait it out, then swoop in with a down air turnip to get the kill >: )

Player-1

Smash Legend
You can kill yourself off the top actually (at least in Brawl), check wario's fart you could kill yourself off the top by farting too high.

However, at least in brawl and it's probably similar to Smash 4 if not the same, you couldn't kill yourself off the top if you were in some type of recovery move (for some reason fart isn't considered one in brawl for whatever reason).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NYvJJ-_Vw&list=UU6fJTNLv6DbKyh4nG-yK73g

Here his bike is being used (Which is a recovery type move) and he's not touching the ground so the game won't kill him.

I don't think this would be useful in smash 4 unless mechanics have changed since brawl, but if you got hit near the blast zone and then say mashed up-b the game would still kill you because (I think) you're still in knockback even while using your up-b so the game would kill you. There were certain special moves that could break momentum however. When you were put in hitstun in brawl you would be able to do certain things after a certain amount of frames have passed. The order was:
1. air dodge
2. aerial/item throw
3. special

So typically you break hitstun with a fast aerial because even though air dodge is first in the order, the air dodge ended too slow so it was often faster to wait for the aerial and do an aerial that ended quickly (mk uair for example). Then with most characters you'd use your mid air jump to go against the knocback you're still in, but certain characters had special moves that "broke" the momentum of the knockback for whatever reason. Bucket breaking was common for GaW users, they'd use the bucket move to do this, but most special moves actually increased your momentum and you'd die sooner. Maybe villager's balloons are like this, but I don't think so, and I don't think momentum cancelling is in smash 4 (at least I haven't heard of it yet). But it's a new game with new mechanics so maybe something like this could work, but I haven't seen any indication of it yet.

Top Bottom