• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Can you disable the hard press on the triggers (and is it considered tourney legal)?

squashhime

Smash Rookie
I know you can take the springs out of your triggers so you can only hard press, and most TO's seem to be pretty okay with it. Can you do something similar so you physically can't get the hard press. Say if I only used R for l-cancels and nothing else, then I wouldn't accidentally trigger the 40-frame tech window with R.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I know you can take the springs out of your triggers so you can only hard press, and most TO's seem to be pretty okay with it. Can you do something similar so you physically can't get the hard press. Say if I only used R for l-cancels and nothing else, then I wouldn't accidentally trigger the 40-frame tech window with R.
I'm not sure if it's legal (I don't see why not), but I wouldn't recommend disabling hard press. You won't be able to powershield, hard shield, or WD unless you use the L button for all of that stuff. If it's legal and you use L for everything except L-Cancelling, I would say be my guest.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
This is the only tournament-legal controller mod that I'm aware of, and fairly common. Lots of players remove the resistance in the trigger button (L or R) that they use to shield, so they can light shield more easily. Others remove the part that allows for soft presses, allowing for a different speed of wavedashes (no actual advantage, since it always takes the same default time anyways, just a comfort hing), and a different speed for powershields.

I would not recommend using this as a means of bypassing getting consistent soft-presses for L-cancels though. That's a skill you should have in your arsenal regardless, and isn't too difficult to get down in much longer than a week or two with consistent practice.

Last edited:

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
There's no need for a control mod like this. You can L-cancel with Z, which counts as a light press every time, and is a digital button press, as opposed to a trigger press, so it's perfectly consistent if you don't trust yourself light pressing a trigger in tourney. Transitioning may feel odd at first, but it becomes natural pretty quickly, since you have to L cancel so frequently in this game.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
You could achieve this quite easily by pulling out the corresponding rubber pad. However, you also need digital press R for resetting / ragequitting and controls in 20XX or develop mode if you use these, so I don’t really recommend to do this.

squashhime

Smash Rookie
Okay, thanks guys! I'll just work on the light press on l-cancels. Should I be doing that for shielding too?

Kadano

Magical Express
Okay, thanks guys! I'll just work on the light press on l-cancels. Should I be doing that for shielding too?
Full-press shield is usually better (powershield, less shield stun and shield damage). Light shield is mostly only for covering endangered body parts when your shield is small.

Top Bottom