• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we plz talk deeper into Dthrow?

Jimster

Smash Cadet
I know there is a moveset thread but there wasn't any very objective answer.
I mean, is it really possible to do a turn-around nair out of Dthrow? I have been trying it on 1/4 times but it never worked....
Also, starting at middle percent, do people just simply get out of Dthrow combo by simply DIing away? I mean really there is no catch to this at all???
Current Dthrow isn't really a good combo throw if this is the case. At low percents, opponenets who DI away will only get hit by sourspot nair if it isn't possible to turn-around nair, which gives them 13%, 1% more than our Fthrow. At middle percents it becomes totally useless if DIed... I'm not sure about high percents tho, it seems like Zelda can still double jump towards the opponent and land a Uair even if they DI away but I don't have any testers to confirm this... Would anyone possibly have these data?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've personally started getting into the habit of using uthrow at very low percents on most characters that aren't floaty which combos into utilt and usmash especially if the opponent airdodges. This is because dthrow does less percent now that the backside of nair does less damage and DI out of dthrow is, in fact, a thing. Usually, Zelda's best bet out of dthrow is uair now when the opponent reaches mid-high percents. On some characters, this'll true combo them to death. It's very very specific percents though and unstaled.

Darktundra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jokton
This is a good subject to go over. I feel that Zelda's down throw is useful for a 30% window with isn't much but is something. If there was a down throw tier list, Zelda would be C tier with D tier being characters like Dong and Koopa, B tier being diddy, A tier being Pikachu and ZZS and S-SS being G&W and Luigi.
Down throw is heavily reliant on ming games since the buffered jump requires strict timing.
Zelda having either slow or in reliable aerial attacks makes the mindgames risky and whiffed attacks either leaves you open for 20-44 frames or forces you to land for 18-25 frames which is bad.
Not to mention that Zelda's grab is slower in both start up and endlag. Down throw should get a KB nerf and a less endlag
#BuffRobin'sgrabrange

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I've personally started getting into the habit of using uthrow at very low percents on most characters that aren't floaty which combos into utilt and usmash especially if the opponent airdodges. This is because dthrow does less percent now that the backside of nair does less damage and DI out of dthrow is, in fact, a thing. Usually, Zelda's best bet out of dthrow is uair now when the opponent reaches mid-high percents. On some characters, this'll true combo them to death. It's very very specific percents though and unstaled.
I personally don't even bother with Nair from a Dthrow when Uair is so much better & still guaranteed at low %s. If the opponent knows how to DI it correctly though it doesn't do **** at mid-high %s.

Also Uthrow combos only work on 6 characters. Anyone else who gets by them kinda deserve it lol

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
For me Dthrow is good at pretty much any reasonable %. I only have trouble following up on floaties like Jiggs, Peach, and Rosalinda.

I do sometimes use Uthrow at low % though. And if neither Dthrow or Uthrow are working out, Fthrow. Easy 12%.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Tbh I think this question could have been effectively posed in the Zelda Q&A and didn't really need its own thread.

That said yes, turn NAir is possible, but way stricter/quicker timing is needed. Somtimes you may need to do an extremely fast DJ so that Zelda rises higher with NAir to land it better. That said it is safer to just go for a backside NAir even if it's only 1% more than Fthrow.

Also, at higher percents when hitting an UAir is very strict or outright not a thing anymore, you can still catch them with Airdodge reads into either a FF BAir for early KOs, or a landing/grounded Elevator.

A neat thing with FW is if you time it right you can input FW before touching the ground, and then land before the hitbox, and have the ground state elevator hit 1 hitbox, so you don't have to be 100% grounded when attempting a Dthrow > Elevator read.

I personally don't even bother with Nair from a Dthrow when Uair is so much better & still guaranteed at low %s. If the opponent knows how to DI it correctly though it doesn't do **** at mid-high %s.
This.

UAIr should be the more used attempt while it can still be done. It does 21% which is more than NAir can score period. I would also like to mention sometimes Nairo seems to be able to SH very far back and land an UAir on some characters even when they DI 'ed out.

Also, pummels gorls! You can add a bonus 3% to any of these combos to make it feel less weak, and getting one pummel at lower mid percent is possible.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Sometimes I like to test if my opponent is a "masher". Like if they immediately mash to get out of a grab or if they just expect to be thrown immediately and prepare DI instead. In the latter case you might be able to get a few extra pummels!

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
Personally I use U-Throw for combos seeing as how it can string more stuff into it like Jab which could follow off a dash attack, u-tilt, Nair or another grab. You pretty much want to stick with u-throw for your primary combo throw, opponents will air dodge or DI out of d-throw. I find d-throw really helpful for Uair set-ups. However. D-throw is still useful, it's just with the back hit of air being weaker U-throw is the throw you want to use at low percents.

Still I go for both on occasions, though for the bigger combo strings I'd go with U-throw.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Personally I use U-Throw for combos seeing as how it can string more stuff into it like Jab which could follow off a dash attack, u-tilt, Nair or another grab. You pretty much want to stick with u-throw for your primary combo throw, opponents will air dodge or DI out of d-throw. I find d-throw really helpful for Uair set-ups. However. D-throw is still useful, it's just with the back hit of air being weaker U-throw is the throw you want to use at low percents.

Still I go for both on occasions, though for the bigger combo strings I'd go with U-throw.
vvvvv

Uthrow combos only work on 6 characters. Anyone else who gets by them kinda deserve it lol

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Oh yea I forgot Uthrow to Uair is a combo on more than 6 characters lol

But it's p specific % range that it works on them sooooooooooooooo

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I believe you all are insane

Down thrown is like, God's gift to Zelda

It's a decent set knock back that you can easily get nair off on below 70%. I nail it every single time, you have to buffer the nair as you jump...not as soon as you jump

You can even anticipate DI and guide Zelda a direction while buffering the nair during her jump after the down throw.

If a platform is above you, down throw and nair > ftilt for nice easy damage

OR if you've conditioned them to expect nair, downthrown below a platform, jump up to platform and follow their air dodge for either A)a well timed nair as they come out of their air dodge > anything you want [Farores, uptilt, downtlit > upsmash, etc] OR B just up Smash when you land to kill.

Down throw is literally how I play Zelda

Top Bottom