• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we expect a certain trend for when characters are added to the site?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think we will see some characters randomly, and some not so randomly.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
There's more here. Ness didn't show up for Earthbound VC release, and a lot of veterans aren't getting any announced new games of VC releases. It's not like we can only count on this. Ness wasn't announced for his game, and C.Falcon isn't even going to get a game. Can we expect new games releases based on SSB?, anything like F-Zero X VC release to show Falcon, or something bigger, like Mother 3 localization to show Lucas (Anyone can dream).
At least Jigglypff has X & Y (Though I doubt Jigglypuff would be the rep for just a big game. Give me Mega Lucario) and Yoshi has Yarn Yoshi and Yoshi's New Island.
Further on, Marth would have to wait fo FE x SMT to be shown (and that still would leave the common second FE rep in doubt). We don't have anything for a 2nd StarFox rep, but we can rest assured on TLoZ, since 2 games are going to be released in just a few months (My guess is Ganondorf for Wind Waker HD, and Zelda for A Link Between Worlds), and Peach still has 3D World.
Even further on, Diddy or a new DK rep (I wouldn't have aaaaany problem if they replaced Diddy, but I think that's just me) has the new DKC, but MK and D3 got no game to be rep of. Wario is not a problem, someone stated that a WarioLand game is getting a VC release, and since he's still some sort of Mario rep (half of him is still Mario. Sorry WarioWare), even a game like the new Mario Party would be a chance to show him.
Again on Pokémon, we had 4 reps in Brawl, and only one new game. Retro characters got nothing to stand for, so G&W, ROB, IC are kinda loss on this kind of pattern. 3rd parties can be anything, so they are a wide thing to talk about.

For this kind of pattern/trend to be fully true, and for the sake of all or most of the veterans:

• Not yet announced games should be released.
  • Two or more characters should be shown at once.
  • We could expect at least one character will be shown every month.
So, the point for this wall-post is: We shouldn't trust this pattern to be true 100% of the time.

I'd have no complains if a Smash Direct comes just a few months before the game's release where 3 or more characters are shown. :3

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I updated the important dates list

JUNE 11 - VILLAGER, MEGAMAN AND WII FIT TRAINER REVEALED
-----------
JULY 12 - PIKMIN & OLIMAR REVEALED
July 12 - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (EU)
July 13 - Pikmin 3 (JP) and New Super Luigi U retail version (JP)
July 18 - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (JP) and EarthBound Virtual Console release (EU/NA)
July 24 - Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (JP)
July 26 - Pikmin 3 (EU) and New Super Luigi U retail version (EU)
-----------
August 3 - Sakurai's birthday
August 4 - Pikmin 3 (NA)
AUGUST 7 - LUIGI REVEALED
August 11 - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (NA)
August 23 - Wonderful 101 (EU)
August 24 - Wonderful 101 (JP)
August 25 - New Super Luigi U retail version (NA)
August 30 - Rayman Legends (EU)
-----------
September 3 - Rayman Legends (NA)
September 15 - Wonderful 101 (NA)
September 26 - Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (JP)
-----------
October ?? - Wii Party U
October ?? - Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (NA)
October 4 - Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (EU)
October 12 - Pokémon X & Y
October 13 - Sonic Lost World (NA)
-----------
November ?? - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
November ?? - Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (NA/EU)
-----------
December ?? - Super Mario 3D World
December ?? - Wii Fit U
-----------
2014 - Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (JP)
2014 - Mario Kart 8
2014 - Monolith Soft's new title "X"
2014 - Yoshi's New Island
2014 - Bayonetta 2
2014 - Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U
-----------
TBA - Yoshi Wii U "Yarn Yoshi"
TBA - Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

Am I missing something?
We may get something on November 21, that's when Melee launched in Japan.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
There's more here. Ness didn't show up for Earthbound VC release, and a lot of veterans aren't getting any announced new games of VC releases. It's not like we can only count on this. Ness wasn't announced for his game, and C.Falcon isn't even going to get a game. Can we expect new games releases based on SSB?, anything like F-Zero X VC release to show Falcon, or something bigger, like Mother 3 localization to show Lucas (Anyone can dream).
At least Jigglypff has X & Y (Though I doubt Jigglypuff would be the rep for just a big game. Give me Mega Lucario) and Yoshi has Yarn Yoshi and Yoshi's New Island.
Further on, Marth would have to wait fo FE x SMT to be shown (and that still would leave the common second FE rep in doubt). We don't have anything for a 2nd StarFox rep, but we can rest assured on TLoZ, since 2 games are going to be released in just a few months (My guess is Ganondorf for Wind Waker HD, and Zelda for A Link Between Worlds), and Peach still has 3D World.
Even further on, Diddy or a new DK rep (I wouldn't have aaaaany problem if they replaced Diddy, but I think that's just me) has the new DKC, but MK and D3 got no game to be rep of. Wario is not a problem, someone stated that a WarioLand game is getting a VC release, and since he's still some sort of Mario rep (half of him is still Mario. Sorry WarioWare), even a game like the new Mario Party would be a chance to show him.
Again on Pokémon, we had 4 reps in Brawl, and only one new game. Retro characters got nothing to stand for, so G&W, ROB, IC are kinda loss on this kind of pattern. 3rd parties can be anything, so they are a wide thing to talk about.

For this kind of pattern/trend to be fully true, and for the sake of all or most of the veterans:

So, the point for this wall-post is: We shouldn't trust this pattern to be true 100% of the time.

I'd have no complains if a Smash Direct comes just a few months before the game's release where 3 or more characters are shown. :3
Unlockable characters won't be shown, Luigi was a special case because it's the Ear of Ruigi.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
So, I wonder who they will show in October. I hope it's Sonic, but it is most likely gonna be a Pokemon rep.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Hippo, I don't believe so. I think Viridi's realm wasn't until two weeks after. Though we did get Garden of Hope revealed with Olimar.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Right for the 2 characters thing sonic and mewtwo could be revealed in October by the way aye 2 characters on the same day I mean recently revealed by pokemon lucario can present for gen 6 as well now and now an official rival of metwo because of that picture of mega mewtwo vs mega lucario

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
As for dk country tropical freeze if king k rool is the villain in that that's it king k rool confirmed and that's who will get announce

D

Deleted member

While I do expect that some characters, like Peach and Diddy Kong, will get announced around a release for a game, I know that they have to eventually announce characters like King Dedede and the Ice Climbers randomly since they don't have any new games coming out recently. For all we know, we might get Yoshi announced before the end of this year because waiting until 2014 to announce Yoshi because of Yoshi's New Island/Yarn Yoshi is a bit too long in my opinion.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
While I do expect that some characters, like Peach and Diddy Kong, will get announced around a release for a game, I know that they have to eventually announce characters like King Dedede and the Ice Climbers randomly since they don't have any new games coming out recently. For all we know, we might get Yoshi announced before the end of this year because waiting until 2014 to announce Yoshi because of Yoshi's New Island/Yarn Yoshi is a bit too long in my opinion.
We have those months when no major Nintendo game will be released, but I wouldn't expect them to show Yoshi. Like you said, for New Island/Yarn Yoshi there's still a long way to go, but it'd be better if the characters that don't have a game are shown in these cases (Assuming one character will be shown once a month).

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think people like IC's might not get introduced on pic's and instead, will be a surprise when you get the game (I doubt people will be surprised though). Sakurai might not show us all the characters, and I hope he doesn't. I just really want to get some surprises when I get the game.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling characters will only be announced to coincide with game releases until the release date for smash 4 is announced, which at that point I can easily see Sakurai announcing characters more frequently because when we get to that point people waiting for smash will REALLY be waiting for it and will expect more to be shown.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Well... so far we're 2/2 with these character reveals coinciding with their respective game releases.
Don't know why some people are still doubting the obvious trend here.
Plus it's a great marketing idea.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Hey guys, shouldn't we add Sanic to that list in October since Sonic Lost Worlds, A Wii U/3DS EXCLUSIVE Sanic game comes out then.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Hey guys, shouldn't we add Sanic to that list in October since Sonic Lost Worlds, A Wii U/3DS EXCLUSIVE Sanic game comes out then.
I think Pokemon has a higher priority. Also, Sonic is probably gonna be an unlockable, so we might not see him.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Hmmm yh but 3rd party is to promote even if Sonic is a veteran it is best to show people he is returning before hand imo.
Isn't Sega exclusively for Nintendo now? I think Sonic officially joined Nintendo. I think he is now a first party. I am still not sure how all this works, but this is my guess.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Isn't Sega exclusively for Nintendo now? I think Sonic officially joined Nintendo. I think he is now a first party. I am still not sure how all this works, but this is my guess.
Im pretty sure Sonic isnt 1st party but he should be....I think Ninty & Sega are just holding D_cks tighter thats all.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Im pretty sure Sonic isnt 1st party but he should be....I think Ninty & Sega are just holding D_cks tighter thats all.
-_- wow. Well anyways, it'd be cool to have two people released at the same time.

D

Deleted member

Sega isn't a first nor a second party to Nintendo. They are still making games for other platforms (hence still third party). While we do see a trend with seeing characters getting announced near a game's release, I think Sonic should be announced sooner than the release of Lost World or the Olympic Games since he IS a third party character and him being a late addition might affect other characters getting included. That and it would certainly hype some people to see Sonic again in SSB4.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Sega isn't a first nor a second party to Nintendo. They are still making games for other platforms (hence still third party). While we do see a trend with seeing characters getting announced near a game's release, I think Sonic should be announced sooner than the release of Lost World or the Olympic Games since he IS a third party character and him being a late addition might affect other characters getting included. That and it would certainly hype some people to see Sonic again in SSB4.
They aren't going to show any unlockable characters, right (Luigi is an exception)? maybe they won't show Sonic at all.

D

Deleted member

They aren't going to show any unlockable characters, right (Luigi is an exception)? maybe they won't show Sonic at all.
I am very unsure if Luigi is part of the initial roster or is an unlockable. As for Sonic, he and Snake were revealed before Brawl and they were unlockables. So, I think it's safe to say that Sonic would get announced before SSB4 is released.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Well with Lost World coming up he could be one of those reveals solely to promote a new game so don't count him out :p

grizby2

Smash Lord
sonic deserves to be revealed early. they added him late in brawl, and as a result, his moveset was all WoNkY.
they'd have more time to re-work on him this way.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Exzactly.

D

Deleted member

I should mention that Peach's reveal wasn't totally random. She was revealed near the anniversary of Super Mario Bros.' release date in Japan.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Zelda release for November?
There's a new character announcement every few weeks and it looks like we're about due. The way I see it, the week of November 22nd, at least one Zelda character is being revealed (probably Zelda/Sheik herself).

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Is anyone else noticing most if not almost every character reveal has been on a thursday? I think the only 2 that were not were Wii Fit Trainer and Luigi.

Top Bottom