• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can the Ice Climbers win without chaingrabbing?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I've been wondering about this. Not only because I just can't get the timing down for chaingrabbing, most people think it's cheap.

I really want them to be one of my mains, but ChainGrabbing does not like me. xD

Chronopath

Smash Rookie
Yes. Nearly all of their moves are lagless. They have great priority and good range. With desynching a smart player can easily win against most characters. They just might have a little trouble against characters who can seperate them easily..

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Yeah, you can win without chain grabbing. I think of chain grabbing only as a bonus to what they can already do, I played with them for years in melee and at the beggining of Brawl, and the whole time I didn't know chain grabbing existed and yet I was still pretty good with them, now that I know about chain grabbing I just went from decent to good.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, I mained them in Melee too. I played with them a bit in Brawl, and when Chaingrabbing was found with them I thought it was useless to play them without Chaingrabbing. Thank you.

Finch

Smash Lord
Ice climbers are awful without chaingrabbing. All they have is blizzard, and it's really hard for them to get kills. They're fine to own not that good people with, but against good players you absolutely need to abuse those grabs, because otherwise you've got nothing. No approach and an sub par camping game.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
That's the one I can't do. Alternating throws is pretty hard too.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Ice climbers are awful without chaingrabbing. All they have is blizzard, and it's really hard for them to get kills. They're fine to own not that good people with, but against good players you absolutely need to abuse those grabs, because otherwise you've got nothing. No approach and an sub par camping game.
Err... Ice Climbers have a whole lot that works well besides chain grabbing. If all they could do was chain grab, then that would make a solo Ice Climber useless, which is not true at all, as I'm able to hold my own very well using only a Solo Ice Climber in a match against people who are even better than me...

Straylit

Smash Cadet
Your stupidity astounds me. I honestly cant even pinpoint a place to start correcting you. Fantastic priority, crazy amount of KO moves, de-syncing, great spacing abilities... Just wow.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thank you guys. Now I know I don't have to use a controversial technique to win with one of my mains. ^^

Winnar

Smash Lord
Oh I wouldn't worry about controversies, if you can even call chaingrabbing a controversy.

Chaingrabbing is only controversial if you can do 0-death combos consistently. Since YOU won't be at that level with chaingrabbing for a while if at all, why sweat it?

Right now how much do grabs realistically give you? For me it's about 50'ish% damage if I get someone at 0%, and that's without alternating grabs. I dunno, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Then again, Smashboards is melodramatic about the most random things.

kock

Smash Rookie
i think they have great damage builders with blizzards and squall hammers plus good spacing with tilts and ice blocks. on top of that if you don't cg all the time it shouldn't be to hard to get a grab in and smash them to death. Yes they can win without cg's but it really is a good thing to learn along the way. plus imo the longer you play with out them the better you will fair against good players who can dodge a grab like it's their job.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Chaingrabbing is only controversial if you can do 0-death combos consistently. Since YOU won't be at that level with chaingrabbing for a while if at all, why sweat it?
I don't really like the way that sounded, but if I actually wanted to learn the 0 to death combo I probably could. You make it seem like I suck at the game.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
I don't really like the way that sounded, but if I actually wanted to learn the 0 to death combo I probably could. You make it seem like I suck at the game.
I dont think he meant for it to throw that point across. What he means is that it takes a 'long' time and countless hours of practice to to get good enough the CGing to a point where you can consistently do it to a point where people are going to start giving you evil looks. He wasnt hitting on your abilities of the game, he just realizes how difficult it is to get that proficient at what is probably the most difficult technique in the entire game.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I dont think he meant for it to throw that point across. What he means is that it takes a 'long' time and countless hours of practice to to get good enough the CGing to a point where you can consistently do it to a point where people are going to start giving you evil looks. He wasnt hitting on your abilities of the game, he just realizes how difficult it is to get that proficient at what is probably the most difficult technique in the entire game.
Oooh. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I feel embarassed for assuming so much...

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
My friend plays a very good kirby and I usually beat him with out chain grabs. If you space with IC's you can still win. They have pretty amazing priority.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yeah, definitely did NOT mean to say you suck at the game :( What I meant is that to perfect alternating throws against the rest of the cast in SSBB...would take a long time for anyone.

And haha sometimes I do better with single IC than both IC's XD

Finch

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry for my extreme post. I was thinking about characters that do well against them. They do have a few favorable matchups without CGs.

Top Bottom