• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**can The Computer Actually Learn??

_kSo_

Smash Master
Ok i had played level 9 comps way back in the day before i got serious about this game and what I have realized is that every once in a while, when I play a comp to kill time or practice combos or whatever, it seems to me like the computer has gotten smarter

for example, fox will use his reflector when im trying to combo him to stop my combo.
the characters all can DI now (not significantly, but I can SEE it) and falcon and fox seem to short hop now.

This is all very strange and it seems like the comp has learned techniques that I also have learned in the past year or so. Anybody else notice this or have any ideas on what this may be?

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, since the short hop is programmed into the game, I'd think that computers would do it automatically. As for DI, that might be coincidence--the computer wanted to smash in one direction but you hit it just before it was able to do so. Computers do several weird things. One of the craziest things I see happening consistently is when I fight level 9 Yoshis, it sometimes kills me and then DJCs around 4 times in place, similar to what a human Yoshi player would do to show off/practice during respawn time.

Darkgamer X

Smash Cadet
Ok i had played level 9 comps way back in the day before i got serious about this game and what I have realized is that every once in a while, when I play a comp to kill time or practice combos or whatever, it seems to me like the computer has gotten smarter

for example, fox will use his reflector when im trying to combo him to stop my combo.
the characters all can DI now (not significantly, but I can SEE it) and falcon and fox seem to short hop now.

This is all very strange and it seems like the comp has learned techniques that I also have learned in the past year or so. Anybody else notice this or have any ideas on what this may be?
In SSB I was playing as pikachu against Link at level 9, when the battle started the AI was astounding! I usualy defeat level 9s with ease but the computer was my rivel. after the battle I fought again but the AI was back to normal. very wierd.:confused:

_kSo_

Smash Master
maybe the computer is just random with the things it does. and maybe when i used to play comps i was too noobish to know what DI was and i didnt notice it anyway

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
If you drill them with mario or whoever, they DI into your drill so the DI is very pointless.
I guess they are programmed to go toward you so everytime you hit them they go closer to the human

Ness1287

Smash Rookie
if computers could learn ... ... we would b pretty screwed.. as the human race

dwp171

Smash Apprentice
what if the computers devised a way to put their smash brothers characters into real life, and then tried to take over the world? I think they would completely pwn everything, lol. Captain falcon would destroy us all...

rokimomi

Smash Lord
You're forcing the comp into situations in which it has to do something out of the ordinary, unlike us, we have to think whether to short hop or not when pressing the button, but the comp can think through the move. Like, my fox comp has shine canceled of weird occasions. But in a way, I provoked it into doing so. Somehow. It can think that fast.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
maybe is because we're too used to play against humans that once we try to kill some time against the CPU we may mess up alot since they anticipate to your moves in a diferent way than a human does.

yeah I used to think that the CPU could learn some new strats, once a Fox shined me on the edge xP, and on story mode while fighting Giant DK i had pikachu as partner, when Giant DK was charging his punch over a high platform and pika was below him, pikachu did several thunders on DK.

holy_pyro

Smash Cadet
you do realize you only started noticing them WHILE you started learning those moves, maybe that should give you a hint as to why you are thinking computers are learning

_kSo_

Smash Master
oh no i have noticed this in the past i just noticed again, after learning more. im not exactly learning what things look like, per say, i have known what DI was for a while just not how to do it. way back then was what i was talking about. like when i would go to my friends house and we would throw bom-ombs at each other

*EDIT*
btw something really fun to do

items on very high - only bom-ombs and motion sensor mines

holy_pyro

Smash Cadet
k then lemme just put it bluntly for you, computers can't learn, especially SSB computers. All this stuff, DI, shorthopping were all implemented in this game already, its not like they learnt it off you. and fox computers like to "reflect" they dont nessesarily shine on purpose.

ant-d

Smash Lord
No, they do "shine on purpose".

They don't anticipate. They can react 2 frames after the human player's input.

If a human player could do this it would be extremely difficult to hit them at all.

holy_pyro

Smash Cadet
well i meant shine spiking, normally they are going to wait til you come back on the platform/arena

_kSo_

Smash Master
No, they do "shine on purpose".

They don't anticipate. They can react 2 frames after the human player's input.

If a human player could do this it would be extremely difficult to hit them at all.
wow thats really awesome. how did you come up with such a statistic? your emu tools? btw where can i get some of them?

ant-d

Smash Lord
Frame advance. Search for Nitsuja's Mupen64. Every result on google links to it.

The word 'tools' is misleading. It is save states/re-recording and frame advance.

Well, using frame advance is the same as controlling time, so I am able to see how the CPU reacts etc... So the smallest instance of time, a frame, will only pass when I command it to.

Read http://tasvideos.org/WhyAndHow.html

Top Bottom