• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone recommend me a new character to learn?

Anesthetized12

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to find another character I'm comfortable with, but my play style seems very specific. I main Yoshi and Shulk, use the c-stick exclusively for all my aerials/smashes and I tend to favor strong out of shield options. I mained Captain Falcon in melee, but he feels uncomfortable to use with the c-stick here. I tend to be an overly aggressive player at times so I was thinking Fox due to his solid rush down and speed.

Maybe another Yoshi or Shulk main here can let me know what other characters you use?

Last edited:

Anesthetized12

Smash Rookie
What kinda characters do you prefer? or are you willing to work with anything?
I'm generally not a fan of projectile based characters (Yoshi being an exception) and I tend to favor speed/combo potential over raw power. Maybe someone who could make up for Yoshi or Shulk's weaknesses? I have the most trouble against heavy characters, especially Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If you enjoy strong out of shield options and want to wreck heavy characters, Jiggly Puff is always fun. Not really a speed or combo heavy character, though. Little Mac is a great rush down character, he might be fun for you to mess around with if nothing else. Also, there is always Shiek.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Pikachu is very fast and has great combo potential. More people seem to be picking him up due to those reasons. He doesn't hit hard but the chains you can do will make up for it.

Anesthetized12

Smash Rookie
I think I will give Pikachu a try! I can always fall back on Sheik or Fox if I have to. Thanks for the suggestions!

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Just for the record, Yoshi is in no way a projectile-focused character. He's a good combo character and his eggs assist in that.

Anyway, I'd recommend just playing offline with a bunch of characters and see which you enjoy most, that's how I got most of my characters.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I'm a Captain Falcon main and I think he's a character you would like. No projectiles, speed, combo potential, and can easily go head-to-head with Ganondorf due to the similar move sets.

Stixicks

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stixicks
I'm a Yoshi main as well (a really bad one but hey)! I'd recommend Falco, only because I enjoy playing him almost as much as Yoshi :)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Peach is really fun and only has one projectile. Marth and Lucina? Pit and Dark Pit only have one projectile as well.

XJ9

Smash Rookie
Little Mac - Good rush down, no projectiles

Brawler Mii (1122 setup, shotput, onslaught, helicopter, feint) - Shotput is a projectile but really only used for zoning, you can however switch this out for the uppercut ability. Onslaught is a pretty fun ability to use as is helicopter kick. HK has a lot of power behind it, it pretty much is the best up+B available all around, biggest reason some people prefer Piston Punch is it has a bit better Vertical Recover, others prefer it because it's absurdly overpowered. (See One Inch Punch) Feint Jump I'm still getting used to so I can't give much input on that.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Given that you're looking to complement Shulk and Yoshi, this might not be the best advice, but a lot of Ike's moves are very similar to Shulk's. Check the Shulk and Ike boards and you'll see loads of people play both, just because the switch is fairly easy. That said, there are some obvious differences; mainly, Ike trades Shulk's versatility and a little range for sheer power.

You'll definitely enjoy your c-sticking with Ike, as his aerials (except maybe dair) are among his best moves. Bair in particular will benefit from c stick use.

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I'm not a yoshi or shulk main, but I strongly recommend Villager. He's slow, but in the right hands, he's a combo monster. He also has lots of early kill moves. However, he is a projectile character, mainly.

Also , some advice: Don't let playing one or two characters completely determine who you will try to main. This is coming from a Falcon Villager Dr. Mario main. All of these guys have completely different styles. The speeds differ from the near-top of the speed spectrum to nearly the bottom. I know everyone has different tastes and play styles , but I really do think you should try Villager. They call him Killager for a reason.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Capt. Falcon or Sonic.

I'm gonna be presumptuous, but you probably don't know what you're looking for exactly. Looking for super aggressive characters is a sign of the newbie YOLO playstyle.

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
I have an advice for you : Play like 10 matches with every characters against the bots and write on a paper what you like about a character after the battles. At the end, look at the paper and find the character you liked the most -> train this one

Edigital23

Smash Rookie
NNID
Edigital23
3DS FC
4253-3504-1896
Shiek and Toon Link are agile. They work well for me. They have a lot of air moves you can work with, also the c smash is fluid. Good luck.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac - Good rush down, no projectiles

Brawler Mii (1122 setup, shotput, onslaught, helicopter, feint) - Shotput is a projectile but really only used for zoning, you can however switch this out for the uppercut ability. Onslaught is a pretty fun ability to use as is helicopter kick. HK has a lot of power behind it, it pretty much is the best up+B available all around, biggest reason some people prefer Piston Punch is it has a bit better Vertical Recover, others prefer it because it's absurdly overpowered. (See One Inch Punch) Feint Jump I'm still getting used to so I can't give much input on that.
Piston Punch is better because it's better. Even without the One-Inch Punch it can deal loads of damage via downgrab/upB. Plus if you're fast enough there's literally no way to avoid it.

Top Bottom