• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone help me with this?

WatchfulComa24

Smash Cadet
NNID
rce2002
Sometimes I play as characters after the patch and everyone is becoming more and more likeable for me. It's gotten to the point where I want to main everyone and everyone seems cool equally. How can I make this less of a problem?

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
This is a problem that you will have to sort out(not being rude). narrow down the characters you have the most fun with and the characters that you feel that they fit your play style.
Just some tips:4marth:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Also, be sure to pick the characters you like the most as that's most important when choosing a main.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
It is good to have a few specialty characters, but having a lot of pocket characters is always nice for matchups/friendlies. I guess we're alike in that regard.

Rochefortt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rochefortt264
I think we've all been there and there's really no problem with it. For me, I really sat down and took the time to decide who I not only felt the most viable with, but that could handle the style I was the most comfortable with. If you are more patient in your matches, pick characters that are superior in baiting and zoning. If you like to rush down your opponent, pick a character who can. If you understand how you like to play/how you think you play your best, it really helps narrow down who to keep as your solid main (and then secondaries afterwards). And secondaries that complement what your main is lacking is usually Ideal just to have as many strengths in your arsenal as you can. It's really important that you play characters that you are completely comfortable with. I dropped falco because I felt just a bit awkward playing him and swapped him out for lucas, best decision I could of possibly made just on how more comfortable and well-rounded I felt with Lucas.

Long story short: Find out how YOU like to play/play best in style wise, Compliment your main with some secondaries, and be completely comfortable with your main otherwise it's just potential you could be spending on another well-deserved character.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I think we've all been there and there's really no problem with it.
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.
I've been playing Smash for very long, now, and only recently with Smash 4 I'm branching out to other character than Mario. And even then - very slowly.
Well anyway, OP, WatchfulComa24 WatchfulComa24 , I assure you playing too many characters will always be better than sticking with only one for as ridiculously long as I did, however, picking from a select group and trying to specialize at them is still essential, as you have noticed.
Who are the characters that you are most interested with? If you want to choose which characters to main, you can go from a short list of subjective reasons:
  • How much do you like playing as the character in relation to others?
  • How much do you like the character itself?
  • How much do you like the game/series the characters is from?
  • How much do you like the look of your character?
  • How much do you like the alts of your character?
  • How much does its playstyle fits you? (Which can be Objective, like "It's a fast character and I like to be aggressive" or Subjective, like "I like people with swords, since I really like the look of them and it gives the character and my playstyle a distinct look")
Or a list of more objective reasons:
  • In user made tier lists, what is the average tier the character in question is placed at? (Examples: :4sheik: - Top Tier, :4mario: - High Tier, :4jigglypuff: - Low Tier, etc.)
  • What is the history your character has with tournament results?
  • How many times has your character been rebalanced through nerfs and buffs throughout all the patches, and will your character be affected by tomorrow's balancing patch?
  • What is the MU spread for your character? This is specially useful to consider if you're considering a secondary to aid your actual main.
  • How easy do you think it'll be to play this character at a competitive level?
  • If you decide to play them, are you willing to learn all of the character-specific combos and techs your character brings with them?
This is what you probably should consider. Of course, it's entirely possible you might end up playing a character because you like their playstyle but not the character itself (cough cough I really don't like Mario), but right now, you have the power to choose.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sometimes I play as characters after the patch and everyone is becoming more and more likeable for me. It's gotten to the point where I want to main everyone and everyone seems cool equally. How can I make this less of a problem?
Just main Ganondorf :) it is clearly the only superior choice

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
You can play a lot of characters if you want but if your purpose is to improve, you're only hurting yourself. Who did you used to main? Do you still like them in the current patch? Who do you feel most comfortable with?

I'd pick one main (someone you feel comfortable with and genuinely enjoy playing) and if you want you can pick up one or two secondaries.

Top Bottom