• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone give me some information?

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't really up on the website updates when Melee was being released, so I was wondering if someone could give me some information...

For the Melee site, how many newcomers did they reveal before the actual release of the game (in Japan)? Were all newcomers revealed or did they keep some "secret?" I'm getting kind of nervous that there's only between 2-4 newcomers still unrevealed to us, I was wondering if anyone can accurately recall how it was when Melee was released for some context...

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
So are you saying that via Melee website update, Bowser, Peach, Ice Climbers, and Zelda, were revealed but none of the other characters were?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
So are you saying that via Melee website update, Bowser, Peach, Ice Climbers, and Zelda, were revealed but none of the other characters were?
Like I said, the starting roster was revealed before release, and the secret characters were revealed afterwards. lol.

If I can find the website for you, I'll show you.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, the starting roster was revealed before release, and the secret characters were revealed afterwards. lol.

If I can find the website for you, I'll show you.
Well no, I was asking if those four were the only newcomers shown on the website, aside from veterans...

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Well, think of it this way:

Melee has a starting roster of 14. Four of them were newcomers = 2/7 of the Starting Roster. The starting roster was the only set of characters revealed.

Brawl (if Sonic and Snake are the only unlockables) has a current starting roster of 21 (not including ZSS). Nine of them are newcomers = 3/7 of the Starting Roster. Snake, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus are part of the characters that aren't "technically" part of the starting roster.

However, if there is another 3rd Party, I wouldn't doubt if he/she/it/potato were revealed before Brawl's Japan release. Also, I expect Sheik's status to be revealed within the next week.

I'm expecting a character roster of at least 40 Character Slots.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Well no, I was asking if those four were the only newcomers shown on the website, aside from veterans...
What I meant was yes, the other newcomers were shown also, you know... the other secret characters.

The way that website went was that there was a character update every week for, I'm assuming, 26 weeks. So, after the 14th week, the game was released, and after that, the secret characters were released. And after 12 more weeks, I'm assuming they stopped.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Ah, alright, thanks guys...

I'm hoping that he follows a similar path this time, but when he said...

"Given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.

So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters."

I got a bit nervous that he's just gonna show us everything anyway, so we'd better not get our hopes up expecting more.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
There will be more. I expect at LEAST 10 more characters (not counting the ones that will be in the game anyway, like Luigi and C. Falcon)

Offtopic: The eye-character in your signature is that boss from Kirby Superstar, isn't he? Kratos or something

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I still think Sonic and Snake could be starters, but after they didn't even show up in any of the TV Adds in Japan...

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Offtopic: The eye-character in your signature is that boss from Kirby Superstar, isn't he? Kratos or something
Ha ha, yeah, Kracko... I'm hoping he'll be an AT atleast... I was pissed when it turned out King DeDeDe's Final Smash was a bunch of lame Waddle Dees. I was hoping he would summon Kracko to come in and fry everyone...

Top Bottom