• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone critique my Fox video?

Goldylox

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm an intermediate smash player and my friend keeps beating me with Marth =(

Here's a link to a video of a game we played recently: carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/PV2BuD9q87ndzMm

Can anyone offer me some tips about how to improve? Thanks!

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
If you are calling yourself intermediate in 2015 you need to be able to wavedash consistently, L-cancel consistently, and if you're playing fox and you shine four times in one game you are not shining enough. If you can't wavedash, you need to dash dance more than what I saw there. Up throw+up-airs are incredibly strong at your level, because nobody can SDI out of it quite yet. Playing fox is hard, but this might just be the worst excuse for "intermediate smash player" I have ever seen. Get outta here! If you look at my melee character list, I add that character only if I can 4-stock a lvl 9 Fox as that character.

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Haha I think what ^this guy is trying to say is, practice practice practice.
then when you can control your character, and you don't know what you're doing wrong, is the time for critique

Jukes

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2895-7393-1341
I think Dominus Felis went about giving advice in the worst possible way. Never put somebody down. He is trying to learn and get better and he is seeking out advice. The Smash community as a whole is supposed to be extremely welcoming. Honest, yes, but for someone seeking advice on how to improve, you never just bash them and tell them how bad they are. You were in the same place once.

Goldylox, as much as I disagree with how Dominus went about giving advice, I do agree with what was said about shines. Shines are Fox's best tool. I saw a lot of the time you would do stuff like d-air into a grab and you'd miss the grab because Marth would be behind you. Instead of going for the grab, drillshine. You've got to L-cancel the d-air and immediately shine to drillshine perfectly. The grab only accounts for what is directly in front of you and only covers one option. Shine accounts for what is directly in front, on top, and behind you. So even in that situation alone, that's two more options covered! When people started talking me through optimizing my options and how to do so, I improved leaps and bounds. Another thing I would would on for sure is short hops. Short hops with Fox are so important. Especially with n-airs. You love to use n-air, but rarely did I see a short hop incorporated. I'd definitely work on doing SHFFL-ing. Short Hop Fast Fall (insert aerial move here) L-cancel. It's extremely helpful and effective in speeding up Fox's movement game and Fox's movement is SO incredibly important. I think you're definitely on the right track, but there's always more to practice.

To practice:
SHFFL
Dash dancing
Wave dashing
Dash dancing with wave dashing incorporated
Wave shines
Wave landing on platforms
Invincible ledge dash
Running shine into wave dash into dash dance

You've got this, man. Keep the practice up and you'll get there! Remember, the GOAT himself is still practicing.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
You should cut that list down a little bit. In a lot of cases at least at this level of play you should focus on fundamentals and consistency before you try and get invincible ledge dashing and running wave shines and such. I see so many foxes these days who go crazy practicing tech skill and overcomplicate things for themselves.

Jukes

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2895-7393-1341
You should cut that list down a little bit. In a lot of cases at least at this level of play you should focus on fundamentals and consistency before you try and get invincible ledge dashing and running wave shines and such. I see so many foxes these days who go crazy practicing tech skill and overcomplicate things for themselves.
Probably a good call there. I know that I just practice tech skill when I'm by myself so that's why I made that somewhat long of a list. I just gave all of that to have so that he could see what he needs to practice and have down over time. But you're definitely right.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Probably a good call there. I know that I just practice tech skill when I'm by myself so that's why I made that somewhat long of a list. I just gave all of that to have so that he could see what he needs to practice and have down over time. But you're definitely right.
Don't get me wrong practicing tech skill is definitely a requirement if you intend to get into higher level competitive smash. The only thing that I've noticed (as a puff main) with my secondary fox and falco, consistent fundamentals + fox's options with fancy tech skill or not still gets you pretty far.

Your best bet to improve is to probably get solid Dash dancing game, become consistent with at least 3 approach options, and try to utilize wave dashing based on positioning your attacks, or baiting your opponent. While Waveshining, Shine --> Upsmash, and more advanced tech are useful, without solid basics, you will only progress to a point.

I've noticed this in a friend of mine who started playing competitively with falco recently. He watched a lot of film and tech skill videos to improve his game, but after playing him recently, he's going for Shine --> Bair/Dair and Waveshines before he can consistently SH laser. This makes him about as good as any falco with a solid "laser --> follow-up" game no matter how good he is at the more technical things.

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
I think @ Jukes Jukes went about giving advice about giving advice in the worst possible way. Never put somebody down. I am trying to learn and get better and I am not seeking out advice. The Smash community as a whole is supposed to be extremely welcoming. Honest, yes, but for someone not seeking advice on how to improve, you never just bash them and tell them how bad they are. You were in the same place once.

Thank you for giving me such unhelpful tips. Please, try to care less next time.

PanD4

Smash Rookie
I think @ Jukes Jukes went about giving advice about giving advice in the worst possible way. Never put somebody down. I am trying to learn and get better and I am not seeking out advice. The Smash community as a whole is supposed to be extremely welcoming. Honest, yes, but for someone not seeking advice on how to improve, you never just bash them and tell them how bad they are. You were in the same place once.

Thank you for giving me such unhelpful tips. Please, try to care less next time.
"Unhelpful" Nice smash community

Top Bottom