• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Samus be played in a "rush-down" manner

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
So I've been considering picking up Samus seriously since her moveset is really interesting to me (and I'm a huge Metroid fan in general). However I'm used to characters like Wolf and Lucas who just want to get in your opponents face. Is it possible for Samus to achieve a similar playstyle? Of course I'm not expecting her to have pressure on par with Wolf or Lucas, but was wondering if Samus is ever played "in your face", and if possible what does that entail?

Litt

Samus
Play however you like, you will never win tournaments with an in your face samus, your samus need to be smart and move well around the stage while zoning your opponent out with missile spams, and zairs, once some connect, follow them up and know when to cut them short, samus is a zoning chatacter and her aerial movement is not good enough to be an in your face opponent, which leaves the only safe way to approach and not be predictable and punished is on the ground with wavedashes into forward tilts, and if you condition your opponent to stay in shield, you can pressure their shield with jab cancels, and thats finally when you can be in on their face ^_^

Kati

Smash Lord
Short hopping zair allows for a lot more pressure.

Following your landing cancelled missile still works.

Wave dashing into an f-tilt is okay. Mix it up by wavedashing into a shield-> screw attack.

I'm not sure how it works against every character now present in PM, but jab cancelling/reset or w/e it's called might be able to pressure people in their shield well.

But even with all of these I wouldn't describe Samus as a rush down character.

Litt

Samus
Short hopping zair allows for a lot more pressure.

Following your landing cancelled missile still works.

Wave dashing into an f-tilt is okay. Mix it up by wavedashing into a shield-> screw attack.

I'm not sure how it works against every character now present in PM, but jab cancelling/reset or w/e it's called might be able to pressure people in their shield well.

But even with all of these I wouldn't describe Samus as a rush down character.
Jab cancel* and from my experience TOP players are not affected by the zair, its too slowly a start up and its better for mix ups for spacing on slower or equally as slow opponents

Kati

Smash Lord
Slow? curious. But yeah a top player would probably know that the zair has negligible shield stun.

Top Bottom