• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Girls be just as good at guys in smash and other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
incompetence > noun 1, attribute
Meaning Lack of physical or intellectual ability or qualifications.
From Dictionary.com:
Incompetent: Inadequate for or unsuited to a particular purpose or application.

(The most applicable definition to this debate) This unsuitability is not specified to be inherent, and I therefore interpret it to include incompetence through lack of experience/will to become competent.

Also, the main point of the topic is whether or nat women can be as good of a gamer, not if they are good gamers.
Explain to me how you can prove a point without at least one example that supports it, then we'll talk.

PAX = Penny Arcade eXpo
I know. I was... nevermind.

Men, having more experience in gaming on average are better gamers than women. I started playing games at a younger age than my older siblings and cousins, and despite that they have played video games much more than I have I am a better gamer, because I started earlier.
In a case that I have experienced, A is true. In this same case, B is also true. Therefore, A must cause B.

Not only anecdotal, but also completely a logical fallacy.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Explain to me how you can prove a point without at least one example that supports it, then we'll talk.
Without a point to support it? There are hardcore female gamers that are better than most men, so yes women can be better. My point in showing that most women are worse than men is that some people believe that women can't be as good as men simply because most women are worse than men. It's just a case of flawed logic, but many are taking that philosophy and using it as there main argument.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Without a point to support it? There are hardcore female gamers that are better than most men, so yes women can be better.
Right, so when I ask for an example, you give me not an example, but a perfect opportunity to once again demand an example. So I'll do that. Name one.
My point in showing that most women are worse than men is that some people believe that women can't be as good as men simply because most women are worse than men. It's just a case of flawed logic, but many are taking that philosophy and using it as there main argument.
I don't think that anyone is arguing that there are factors inherent in being female that prevent one from gaming. We are merely debating the complex and numerous reasons why not as many competitive-level female gamers exist as do male ones (not by a long shot). You don't really seem to have a point other than "Women can be good at video games, but tend not to be." Which is not as much an actual contribution to the debate as much as a restatement of what it is that we are debating.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Right, so when I ask for an example, you give me not an example, but a perfect opportunity to once again demand an example. So I'll do that. Name one.
I'll search the internet for one(which might take awhile, I'm getting weird search results) and edit in a link later.

EDIT: Ok, search engines are stupid. However one can find hardcore smashers here on the boards, and I've seen videos of females that are excellent players(most use Peach, check the peach thread).

I don't think that anyone is arguing that there are factors inherent in being female that prevent one from gaming. We are merely debating the complex and numerous reasons why not as many competitive-level female gamers exist as do male ones (not by a long shot). You don't really seem to have a point other than "Women can be good at video games, but tend not to be." Which is not as much an actual contribution to the debate as much as a restatement of what it is that we are debating.
Oh, boy, I love sociology. Women are expected in our society to not be hardcore gamers. Naturally, wanting to fit in, most women choose not to become great gamers. As for not practicing much, when it comes to certain aspects women aren't competitive at all(not when it comes to looks, though). So, there you have it. Most don't play, and for those that do most of them do persevere to become better.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I'll search the internet for one(which might take awhile, I'm getting weird search results) and edit in a link later.

EDIT: Ok, search engines are stupid. However one can find hardcore smashers here on the boards, and I've seen videos of females that are excellent players(most use Peach, check the peach thread).
Then how hard, considering that you're the one trying to prove a point here... is it to name one?

Oh, boy, I love sociology. Women are expected in our society to not be hardcore gamers.
Why not? That's a conclusion on the part of society that's got to have a lot more behind it than just that.
Naturally, wanting to fit in, most women choose not to become great gamers.
Given all the various cultures, subcultures, and social circles there are, that simply can't be true. In fact, I would argue that some of the women who DO pursue gaming do so as a means to fit in with a crowd that values it as a skill. That's WHY it's quite shocking that at the highest levels, females thin to next to none. This thinning in numbers near the top is the observed phenomenon, and the point from which this debate began.
As for not practicing much, when it comes to certain aspects women aren't competitive at all(not when it comes to looks, though).
That "looks" argument is wearing paper-thin at best. Most PEOPLE aren't competitive about gaming, and instead choose something else.
So, there you have it. Most don't play,
This is increasingly untrue. I'll go find some statistics if you like.
and for those that do most of them do persevere to become better.
Which makes it incredibly strange that you can't name one!

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
As for not practicing much, when it comes to certain aspects women aren't competitive at all(not when it comes to looks, though). So, there you have it. Most don't play, and for those that do most of them do persevere to become better.
Dude, what about sports and other competitive activities? There are fewer but still a whole lot of competitive females out there. This trend in video games is not shown in various sports. Why?

-blazed

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
The only hardcore gamers I know of are on the boards, and I don't see women around here much. Name one female gamer that takes it seriously. I don't go around memorizing who's a good gamer.

As for women not hating games as much, do you hang out with girls much? My ftiends and I love smash, but none of our girl friends(friends that are girls, only one of us is actually dating) refuse to even try playing video games. The rare times they do they don't really try. You know that there are hardcore female gamers and that women don't improve in video games as much as men do, but you won't accept my arguments until I can list names why? Go visit Korea, I gaurantee you some girl down there could destroy you at any game if you gave them a week to practice.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Dude, what about sports and other competitive activities? There are fewer but still a whole lot of competitive females out there. This trend in video games is not shown in various sports. Why?
Agreed on all points.

The only hardcore gamers I know of are on the boards, and I don't see women around here much. Name one female gamer that takes it seriously. I don't go around memorizing who's a good gamer.
What the hell? What point are you arguing? Not three posts ago, you were saying that all the competitive female gamers you knew of DID take it seriously.

As for women not hating games as much, do you hang out with girls much? My ftiends and I love smash, but none of our girl friends(friends that are girls, only one of us is actually dating) refuse to even try playing video games. The rare times they do they don't really try.
About 80-90% of people I met outside of gaming are female. All but one of my female friends are in some way interested in gaming, some in competitive-level games, such as smash bros.

You know that there are hardcore female gamers
I said nothing about "hardcore," that's the most subjective thing I've ever heard. I'm talking top-level. In fact, I'd settle for "Regularly attends major tournaments or large events and gets past two rounds (or wins often against decent players)."

and that women don't improve in video games as much as men do, but you won't accept my arguments until I can list names why?
Because to prove that something happens, you have to... you know... give an example of when it has happened. If you insist, I can think of like... one that I've met/heard of, but you can't seem to come up with any examples.
Go visit Korea, I gaurantee you some girl down there could destroy you at any game if you gave them a week to practice.
Is this spoken from experience, or is it just conjecture based on that "Asia PWNs us at everything" hypothesis? (Argumentum ad Japanum? :confused:)

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Agreed on all points.

What the hell? What point are you arguing? Not three posts ago, you were saying that all the competitive female gamers you knew of DID take it seriously.
Um, no, I said many female smashers on the boards take it seriously, not all the girls I know

About 80-90% of people I met outside of gaming are female. All but one of my female friends are in some way interested in gaming, some in competitive-level games, such as smash bros.
Do they practice for hours at a time trying to learn to SHFFL?

I said nothing about "hardcore," that's the most subjective thing I've ever heard. I'm talking top-level. In fact, I'd settle for "Regularly attends major tournaments or large events and gets past two rounds (or wins often against decent players)."
Maybe they have a life, or maybe they don't want to go because they wouldn't fit in. I'll go with have a life.

Because to prove that something happens, you have to... you know... give an example of when it has happened. If you insist, I can think of like... one that I've met/heard of, but you can't seem to come up with any examples.
Is this spoken from experience, or is it just conjecture based on that "Asia PWNs us at everything"
If you watch some online gaming videos where game companies go to other countries to test games, in Korea some females gamers destroyed the games. Mostly DS games, but also things like SNK and Soul Caliber. They do it down there because they actually fit in if they do, unlike down here. They're good because most of them claim to have been playing video games almost as long as they remember.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Um, no, I said many female smashers on the boards take it seriously, not all the girls I know
So why do you post anecdote that fights against your earlier argument?

Do they practice for hours at a time trying to learn to SHFFL?
No, which is exactly my point. It's not AT ALL that girls aren't interested in gaming. It IS, however, true, that for the most part, they don't strive for the top levels of gameplay. So Q.E. Freakin' D. on that one.

Maybe they have a life, or maybe they don't want to go because they wouldn't fit in. I'll go with have a life.
Most idiotic argument ever. Top level gamers can still "have a life," as proven by quite a few of them (probably even a good majority) doing so. Being good at something doesn't exclude doing anything else. The lack of logic astounds me..

If you watch some online gaming videos where game companies go to other countries to test games, in Korea some females gamers destroyed the games. Mostly DS games, but also things like SNK and Soul Caliber. They do it down there because they actually fit in if they do, unlike down here. They're good because most of them claim to have been playing video games almost as long as they remember.
That's great. Once again, Asia is better off than the US in some facet of gaming. That doesn't put female gamers at the top of Asian gameplay, since if you haven't noticed, very few (if any) famous Japanese smashers are female, and I've never actually heard of a Female player at Tougeki (I'm sure it's happened on anomalous occasions, but not long enough to reach even the semifinals.)

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Um, digital, I said Korea, not Japan. There's a major culture difference between the two.

Yes, women don't strive for the top levels of gameplay, but it doesn't change your arguments. Male and female brains function in the same ways, except females are better multi-taskers.

So why do you post anecdote that fights against your earlier argument?
I read through my posts, I didn't contradict anything. You want me to spell it out? I hardly know any female smashers, but the ones I've met don't take it too seriously. However, a rare few actually try, which is made apparent on the boards.

Also, don't try to argue with me on sociology. Yes, women have certain roles and they want to fit in. Want a source? It won't change, even if some women don't take these roles as seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_roles

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Um, digital, I said Korea, not Japan. There's a major culture difference between the two.
Give me Korean tournament results for any game given serious competitive attention, and the genders of the top 3, then the top 16. I would doubt that anyone female places in the former category, and that more than one or two are in the latter. I'm entirely certain that women could be incredible top-level gamers, but they aren't yet, and the statistics will prove it.

Yes, women don't strive for the top levels of gameplay, but it doesn't change your arguments. Male and female brains function in the same ways, except females are better multi-taskers.
That's ignorance at best, completely intentionally ignoring research done by credible scientific institutions at worst. There are numerous other differences between male and female brains, but I'm hesitant to say that ANY of them, including better ability to multitask, would have any significant effect on one's overall ability to reach high levels of gameplay.

I read through my posts, I didn't contradict anything. You want me to spell it out? I hardly know any female smashers, but the ones I've met don't take it too seriously. However, a rare few actually try, which is made apparent on the boards.
I hate to break it to you, but the boards really mean nothing here. Anyone can read a bunch of stuff and play theory fighter, but unless you have quantifiable results proving that there are top-level female gamers, it simply can't be believed to be true. By decaring that all of your female friends have little to no interest in video games, you are doing nothing but further illustrating this sad truth.

Also, don't try to argue with me on sociology.
That's ridiculous. Why shouldn't I? Unless you have a degree in the field, I see no reason why you have any more credibility on the subject than anyone else. These words are meaningless arrogance.
Yes, women have certain roles and they want to fit in.
That's not what anyone's arguing. So do men. You've yet to define the ones you're arguing very well, nor give any compelling reason as to why they'd pertain to gaming.
Want a source?
Yes.
It won't change,
What won't change? I'm becoming more and more impatient with this tendency of yours to make your assertions too vague to debate. What roles are you talking about, how do they pertain to gaming, and why the hell are they not subject to change?
even if some women don't take these roles as seriously.
How can you say that this phenomenon CAN'T be interpreted as a possible indicator of the aforementioned and ill-defined "roles" not be subject to change? From whence do you derive your inexplicable sense of expertise on this matter? Do you actually claim to know of all future advances in fields of scientific research pertaining to this matter?

This link appears to be broken, or there is some problem with my computer, browser, or internet access that will not allow me to bring it up. However, given that it's on smashboards, I highly doubt that it's a reputable journal of scientific research, and therefore HOPE that it's not the "source" you offered earlier.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Give me Korean tournament results for any game given serious competitive attention, and the genders of the top 3, then the top 16. I would doubt that anyone female places in the former category, and that more than one or two are in the latter. I'm entirely certain that women could be incredible top-level gamers, but they aren't yet, and the statistics will prove it.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=134704
Devil Jin is a female.

That's ignorance at best, completely intentionally ignoring research done by credible scientific institutions at worst. There are numerous other differences between male and female brains, but I'm hesitant to say that ANY of them, including better ability to multitask, would have any significant effect on one's overall ability to reach high levels of gameplay.
They function in almost the same way. I didnt say they were almost the same. There's a difference.

I hate to break it to you, but the boards really mean nothing here. Anyone can read a bunch of stuff and play theory fighter, but unless you have quantifiable results proving that there are top-level female gamers, it simply can't be believed to be true. By decaring that all of your female friends have little to no interest in video games, you are doing nothing but further illustrating this sad truth.
Ok, then. I won't believe anyone here, I'll assume the videos faked.

That's ridiculous. Why shouldn't I? Unless you have a degree in the field, I see no reason why you have any more credibility on the subject than anyone else. These words are meaningless arrogance.
No, they're not. I've studied sociology for so many school projects that I know way more than most people do. I suppose reading through sources to make sure I wasn't incorrect on anything I stated doesn't help either. So, no matter if I know more than almost anyone else I know I need a degree?

What won't change? I'm becoming more and more impatient with this tendency of yours to make your assertions too vague to debate. What roles are you talking about, how do they pertain to gaming, and why the hell are they not subject to change?
The only noun I used in the section was 'sex roles', so the only possible thing I could have been talking about is 'sex roles'. Unless you think I mean 'source', which was pertaining to my argument on sex roles.

How can you say that this phenomenon CAN'T be interpreted as a possible indicator of the aforementioned and ill-defined "roles" not be subject to change? From whence do you derive your inexplicable sense of expertise on this matter? Do you actually claim to know of all future advances in fields of scientific research pertaining to this matter?
Some women will break it, but the sex roles wont change. Vegetable are healthy for you, so If one person is allergic it changes that. That is an analogy, don't take it too seriously.

This link appears to be broken, or there is some problem with my computer, browser, or internet access that will not allow me to bring it up. However, given that it's on smashboards, I highly doubt that it's a reputable journal of scientific research, and therefore HOPE that it's not the "source" you offered earlier.
I fixed it, and it wasn't from smashboards. The link name I accidently copied as smashbarods, but the location itself was right, I just didn't copy all the characters

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Awesome! An actual source on this makes me very hopeful for the prospect of female gamers, especially considering she did well in MULTIPLE tournaments. Good find, sir. It would be nice to get some confirmation that Deviljin is female, but I guess I have no reason to doubt it at this time.

They function in almost the same way. I didnt say they were almost the same. There's a difference.
Since your argument seemed to revolve around the notion that the only functional difference between male and female brains is the female brain's better ability to multitask, calling into question this assumption was my intention. If I have misinterpreted your intent, I withdraw my statement.

Ok, then. I won't believe anyone here, I'll assume the videos faked.
No one need assume that videos are fakes, but one also can't account for extenuating circumstances. I'd think that tournament results would be more consistent proof, given that the incentives involved and the players attending would make it much more difficult to show videos of someone not at their best, or not a top player. But since you've got that base covered (Nice find, once again), it's not really that strong a point of contention. I concede the point that there are top-level female gamers, albeit very few of them, which only further adds to my point that there seems to be no inherent factor inhibiting them.

No, they're not. I've studied sociology for so many school projects that I know way more than most people do. I suppose reading through sources to make sure I wasn't incorrect on anything I stated doesn't help either. So, no matter if I know more than almost anyone else I know I need a degree?
What kind of logic is that?

I have read about Sociology on multiple occasions.
Therefore, it can be assumed that I know more than anyone else here about it?

You're missing at least one logical step, which is the knowledge that NO ONE ELSE HERE knows anything about sociology, which is a fundamentally flawed assumption to make. The reason I mention a degree in that field is that this would imply a rather advanced knowledge on the subject, and also makes it statistically much less likely that anyone here has equal knowledge. Does this not make sense to you?

The only noun I used in the section was 'sex roles', so the only possible thing I could have been talking about is 'sex roles'. Unless you think I mean 'source', which was pertaining to my argument on sex roles.
Um. What? The word "vague" can refer to more than pronoun ambiguity, sir. Your entire concept of "sex roles" is vague. What are these roles, and in what way do they prevent women in high-level gaming from becoming a more sizable group (as their existance is no longer in question)?

Some women will break it, but the sex roles wont change. Vegetable are healthy for you, so If one person is allergic it changes that. That is an analogy, don't take it too seriously.
That's entirely untrue. While I'm sure some of these still extremely vague notions of "roles" could be biologically ingrained, I would argue that most, if not all, are purely societal, and as society is subject to change, so are societally-based mindsets.

I fixed it, and it wasn't from smashboards. The link name I accidently copied as smashbarods, but the location itself was right, I just didn't copy all the characters
Edit: Good call. This source adds to my point: Gender roles are a societal issue, almost entirely. Societal shifts are constantly being made, and therefore gender roles are subject to change. In fact, the Parsons model, in its examples, show, on the right column, a situation in which gender roles would have no bearing on the gender ratio of gamers, and contrast between the left and right columns reflects shifts in our society more towards the side of the right column. Therefore, it is easy to conclude that these "gender role" issues are to be short-lived if modern society continues in the direction it's headed. In fact, the section on the process of socialization corroborates the assertion that these roles are NOT inherent and can therefore be changed entirely through differences in conditioning of the individual.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Sorry If I was a bit peeved yesterday,
my girl friends and guy friends are ALL either sick, out of town, taking drivers ed, moved away, etc, and I have a lot of yard work to do while my parents are in Reno =(. I have to water plants too

I read more in-depth on that article, and while it seems many roles are subject to change the basic expectations of the female do not. We all expect women, no matter how subconsciously, to care about their looks and fitting in with everyone else. Over the years sex roles have been changing in a large part do to equal rights. While many women are protesting towards equal rights most in America are happy where they are. I know one girl in my neighborhood my age that loves video games, but everyone thinks she's weird(she takes a major interest in RPGs, mostly Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, nothing competitive). While I believe in equal rights there will always be sexual profiling, just as there will always be racial profiling.

I would like to visit and maybe even move to Japan when I pass all my courses in programming, and even though not as many women there play video games in Korea I would still like to have my dignity handed to me in a match of DDR against some crazy Asian chick down there.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Sorry If I was a bit peeved yesterday,
my girl friends and guy friends are ALL either sick, out of town, taking drivers ed, moved away, etc, and I have a lot of yard work to do while my parents are in Reno =(. I have to water plants too
No worries, man.

I read more in-depth on that article, and while it seems many roles are subject to change the basic expectations of the female do not.
How are those two things different?
We all expect women, no matter how subconsciously, to care about their looks and fitting in with everyone else.
Same with men. There is no contrast in that aspect. It is a basic property of society that conformity is to some extent or another expected or demanded. Biologically, everyone has the instinct to attract mates. These points are moot, as they apply to both genders.
Over the years sex roles have been changing in a large part due to equal rights. While many women are protesting towards equal rights most in America are happy where they are.
And as I've said earlier in this debate, some things change slower than others. I submit that the number of female competitive gamers will go up dramatically in the next decades as a delayed effect of increased equality. However, due to problems with attraction psychology, there are also, unfortunately, fairly stupid incentives preventing them from doing so (For example, the male attraction to incompetent women)
I know one girl in my neighborhood my age that loves video games, but everyone thinks she's weird(she takes a major interest in RPGs, mostly Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, nothing competitive). While I believe in equal rights there will always be sexual profiling, just as there will always be racial profiling.
Just because rights have shifted doesn't mean that society's view has shifted yet. There is still a great deal of sexism on a large number of issues, but as the law is increasingly on the side of equality, such societal norms are to be expected to gravitate toward the standard set by the law.

I would like to visit and maybe even move to Japan when I pass all my courses in programming, and even though not as many women there play video games in Korea I would still like to have my dignity handed to me in a match of DDR against some crazy Asian chick down there.
DDR, interestingly, is one game that I don't see females having any trouble getting into and getting quite good at. This is perhaps another facet of the "dolls vs. popguns" phenomenon, which some argue is biological, but I would argue is mostly societal.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
What I meant by sex roles and basic expectations of women is though society is evolving in such a way to change a women's responibilities we still view women much the same as they were viewed years ago.

Can you give me a link to the "dolls vs. popguns" phenomenon? If it's anything like I exoect it to be I believe it to be inheritant. Skills and even hobbies can be handed down through the generations, and what started as a social affect may have evolved into a biological one.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
What I meant by sex roles and basic expectations of women is though society is evolving in such a way to change a women's responibilities we still view women much the same as they were viewed years ago.
That's not true at all. Women were once considered only fit for childrearing in some societies, and given full equality in others. Seriously, a LOT has changed in the basic way in which we view women, and it is for this reason that I assume our current perceptions to be subject to further change.

Can you give me a link to the "dolls vs. popguns" phenomenon? If it's anything like I exoect it to be I believe it to be inheritant. Skills and even hobbies can be handed down through the generations, and what started as a social affect may have evolved into a biological one.
I don't know what the actual scientific community calls that one, so I'd be hard-pressed to find it. Just a societal stereotype and tendency. But I think you get what I mean. How is this biological, in your view?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I guess the viewing of women is just how you percieve society today, where in some countries they're still dirt, while in America people have come to see them more as equals.

As for being Bioloigcal, everything about you is biological. How smart you are, how you look, your motor skills, and almost every other aspect. Everything about your body is genetic, and research has shown that skills in sports and smarts can be developed, and therefore it is probable that video-game skills can also be inherited. It has been debated that it is not video-gaming talent that is passed on, but that motor skills simply influence one's skill. I personally believe it's both.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I guess the viewing of women is just how you percieve society today, where in some countries they're still dirt, while in America people have come to see them more as equals.
Which is why the statistic of female gamers is bound to change.

As for being Bioloigcal, everything about you is biological. How smart you are, how you look, your motor skills, and almost every other aspect. Everything about your body is genetic,
Careful how you're using genetics. While I recognize that there is quite a bit that they affect, it's starting to sound similar to "magic." The only reasonable solution to the nature vs. nurture debate, in my opinion, is to assume that both play a part. Many genetic factors surely play into ability to pick up games, but there must be a very wide range of genetic traits, as barring severe congenital defects, most disadvantages could be overcome quite well with practice.
and research has shown that skills in sports and smarts can be developed, and therefore it is probable that video-game skills can also be inherited.
OH LAWD. Here I thought that this theory was long dead, but if you're saying what I think you're saying... There is a theory that pre-dates darwinian evolution that believes that traits can be developed in the lifetime of an organism and then passed on to the offspring. It basically has no scientific basis, but it sounds like that's what you're arguing. PLEASE tell me I'm reading this wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_of_acquired_characteristics

It has been debated that it is not video-gaming talent that is passed on, but that motor skills simply influence one's skill. I personally believe it's both.
Again, please don't tell me you're arguing based on such an outdated concept as the theory of adaption. But beyond that, remember that motor skills have ridiculous amounts of variance in both sexes. I'm still not sure what you're getting at.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that if your dad was a good tall ball-player you will be, but the genes they pass on combine in different ways. You will not be the mirror image of your parents, but everything about you will come from them. I'll use a weird analogy here....Ummm
2+3=5, but 5 isn't equal to 2 or 3. If you changed either number before the plus sign though, the outcome would change as a result <<<<That's as good as my analogy is going to get.

Motor skills do not vary much between men and women(I know a lot of females who enjoy pelting me from 50 feet away with a soccer ball), because they are easily improved on. Though I do admit men have a natural advantage with practice women can be just as good or better. I have noticed women are a lot better at games that directly involves feet(DDR, Stepmania, etc) as well as other games that need great multi-tasking skills(Guitar Hero).

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I'm not saying that if your dad was a good tall ball-player you will be, but the genes they pass on combine in different ways. You will not be the mirror image of your parents, but everything about you will come from them. I'll use a weird analogy here....Ummm
2+3=5, but 5 isn't equal to 2 or 3. If you changed either number before the plus sign though, the outcome would change as a result <<<<That's as good as my analogy is going to get.
So you're arguing genetic determinism, not theory of adaption. Well, that I can get behind.

Motor skills do not vary much between men and women(I know a lot of females who enjoy pelting me from 50 feet away with a soccer ball), because they are easily improved on. Though I do admit men have a natural advantage with practice women can be just as good or better. I have noticed women are a lot better at games that directly involves feet(DDR, Stepmania, etc) as well as other games that need great multi-tasking skills(Guitar Hero).
Um... Agreed? What is this to refute? Although I would disagree that Guitar Hero has anything to do with multitasking...

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
You know, in my opinion, i think, because of society, no, they cant. Yes, there will always be individuals that stand out and make a statement, but, as science and math usually say, take averages and/or ignore the "rare outlying extreme"

So, as a whole, i dont believe they can play as well, BECAUSE of societies standards that they should be out doing other things etc.

This works the same way that USUALLY americans are worse at video games than, say, japan, korea, brazil, or europe. Those countries have a higher probability of having dominant gamers solely because its more acceptable by their society to be playing video games than ours.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
It doesnt matter what you are boy girl or kid or adult it takes practice, time, patience, commitment, and MORE TIME! lol but really it doesnt matter ^_^ and im 12 years old and i can see that >_>

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Gender has nothing to do with video game ability. Multiple university studies (yes, we waste precious money to see whether the genders are equal, scientifically) have shown that the ability to play video games has more to do with practice (actually playing the game) than gender.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
The only thing that gender has an effect on is the socialization of how a particular child was raised. Typically, girls prefer to work together rather than a against each other. This is of course on a broad scale, and EVERY person needs to be evaluated differently.

When I playing pro CS, I knew some girl players that could tear people up, and I also knew some that were terrible. It is all about how they view the game.

If a particular girl views a game with a competitive mindset, and has the capacity to develop the motor skills for effective play, then I see no reason why that particular girl cannot compete against boys.

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
I think girls can be just as good as guys in Smash Bros., however, they differ in their ability to play. Men care more about winning, and being number 1 on a broad scale, while women are more concerned with just having fun, again, on a broad scale. So the desired outcomes effect gameplay. Again though, that is not to say there are not many aggressive female players who can truly play well. Like I said, it's all a matter of desired outcome and how much training one is willing to put in the game.

Many people think Guys cant be as good as males in this game because.......
Lol Wut?

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Gender has nothing to do with video game ability. Multiple university studies (yes, we waste precious money to see whether the genders are equal, scientifically) have shown that the ability to play video games has more to do with practice (actually playing the game) than gender.
I was going to say the same. Gender isn't applied in video games, you can't notice if he/she is a man or a woman if you look at a video of he/she playing.

However, the difference is notorious if you compare physical abilities. The rest, we're practically the same.

1337marth

Smash Ace
Well, it is true, what could be the difference? I think girl can do the same as boy, we all are good in our own ways, and all think differently. Also, there have been many awesome girl smashes, as well as men.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Well, it is true, what could be the difference? I think girl can do the same as boy, we all are good in our own ways, and all think differently. Also, there have been many awesome girl smashes, as well as men.
But these awesome girl smashers are barely noteworthy enough to be considered awesome in my opinion.

There aren't really that many girl smashers if you think about it. Maybe if the serious girl smasher's group was bigger I think there would definitely be some noteworthy girl smashers.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Girls will never be as good in smash bros than guys.

Actually, that was a joke. I've never actually seen a guy be biased towards a girl about a video game on these forums. Why can't a girl be as good or better than a guy at a video game. Saying a girl is worse at playing super smash bros thans guys is like saying guys are worse at skipping than girls.

Either way, there's not really an argument here because people aren't biased like that, unless if they're sexist, which if they are should be enialated from these forums :\.

SEXISM IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

That's coming from a very manly man ;]

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
yes girls are not weak....they are often better then Boys even in
super smash and brawl will prove it so you just wait and maybe they could be
better then you

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
You repeated what everyone else and their friends said. Did you even read through the topic before posting?

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
women can be as good but doesnt necessarily mean they are get it? and if your a girl who plays in Miami and your good pm me and we will set something up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom