• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Fox be "mastered" in a month

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Is it possible to become a compettive threat at a medium sized tourney with Fox with only one month of practice? Not including begining particularly good at match ups, just a adept fox player. If not please give me advice on which character I could obain this with. If so please give me tips and links to guides that will help me do so. If you need more info about me or my question just ask.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Just find a character you like, play the character, watch videos, play some more, read the forum and then play some more. If you don't like them, rinse and repeat that process with another character that peeks your interest.

Last edited:

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Hi Ez i've seen you around in a lot of threads. I've played Smash Bros since I was 2 and have been competitive in Brawl for quite sometime. However Project M has interested me in my old favorites mehanics which when I was younger were too complex. There is a local tournament, entry is $40 but you get to play Melee Pm and Brawl each with $600 prizes. If I'm going to pay full price I might as well get full value. I'm very interested in exploring the new movesets for the characters but for the time being I need a really good character that won't take over a month to be good at. (Like the ICs in Brawl) I know Fox has a high learning curve I'm just wondering if I could be adept at him in a month and if not who among PM (and melees) cast could I pick up?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hi Ez i've seen you around in a lot of threads. I've played Smash Bros since I was 2 and have been competitive in Brawl for quite sometime. However Project M has interested me in my old favorites mehanics which when I was younger were too complex. There is a local tournament, entry is $40 but you get to play Melee Pm and Brawl each with $600 prizes. If I'm going to pay full price I might as well get full value. I'm very interested in exploring the new movesets for the characters but for the time being I need a really good character that won't take over a month to be good at. (Like the ICs in Brawl) I know Fox has a high learning curve I'm just wondering if I could be adept at him in a month and if not who among PM (and melees) cast could I pick up?
Before I say try fox, answer the following questions:

•How good are you at adapting in Melee and Brawl?
•How much time could you put into practice(if you have a crew or something like that, that would help)
•How good do you think you are at learning and what not?
•What would you say is the level of the players attending this event?
•Do you think you have at least average tech skill? You will need a considerable amount for fox. The good thing is, his meta game is for ahead, all you have to do is search it up.

I could probably think of better questions, but yea. The best thing to do, might be to learn a character who is a little bit more on the simpler side, who doesn't have such a high risk and reward factor to them.

I think sheik would be good to try for melee and mario would be great for PM. Both of those characters are great, their learning curve isn't as steep as fox and they have the tools to fight any character, while both being in the top 5/10 characters in their respected game. Mario does struggle against characters that out range him and people who negate his fireballs though.

Do you have a preferred play style?

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Im really good at techs I mastered characters like pikachu and Ics in brawl.(In case you don't play Brawl much.) The former relies heavily on very fast paced techs (even by melees standards) and the later being one of the most difficult characters to master in any fighting game.
I have lots of practice time the most of it is unfortunately solo. (However I'm going to go to a nearby university club to practice.)
I'd say I'm good at adapting
Im a fast learner
The opponents I'll be facing are going to be much older than me and I'd say they are pretty good.
I have no preferred play style

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Im really good at techs I mastered characters like pikachu and Ics in brawl.(In case you don't play Brawl much.) The former relies heavily on very fast paced techs (even by melees standards) and the later being one of the most difficult characters to master in any fighting game.
I have lots of practice time the most of it is unfortunately solo. (However I'm going to go to a nearby university club to practice.)
I'd say I'm good at adapting
Im a fast learner
The opponents I'll be facing are going to be much older than me and I'd say they are pretty good.
I have no preferred play style
I think what you should do, is go sheik/mario and after the tournment keep one of those guys and work on fox. Ether of them would be a good secondary for fox if you decide to keep playing competitively.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Okay I guess I'll do that I'll let you know how it goes

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Can you link me to a couple of guides for mario and sheik I can't find any

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
I think what you should do, is go sheik/mario and after the tournment keep one of those guys and work on fox. Ether of them would be a good secondary for fox if you decide to keep playing competitively.
Do you know of any good guides for sheik mario or fox?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Check the fox section in the melee character discussion, the same goes for sheik. For mario, eh, you could watch shroomed played Doc in melee, play PM mario and watch videos of good mario players. He has some decent guides in the PM character section but yea. Best of luck.

Top Bottom