• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can a player "own" a character's skin color?

Aqualong

Smash Rookie
So, say you go into a tournament at your local scene and run into a known player that uses the same alt color as you do. Can that player call you out for stealing his alt? Is it one of those unwritten rules that you have to pick a color that has not been taken by any players just to show respect?

I don't mean when you have to play the ditto against that player, I mean it as in NEVER being able to use that color just because it is already taken by someone else in your scene.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I find it best to have 2 or 3, even 4, preferred colors in the event that someone beats you to "your" color(s).

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Complaining about alt colours, that's a thing, now?
Anyway, I dunno, people should probably exercise ethics and not mind it.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
No.

And if someone tells you otherwise, then they need to take a look into the dictionary for the word "pettiness".

You can be courteous of course, and pick a different alt if someone beats you to it, but you're not obliged to any "rules" regarding it.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
No you don't HAVE to, but it is just being courteous

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Pretty sure there's no rule against picking the same color for a 1v1 match so I don't see how this is an issue. The game automatically dulls one of the players so you can distinguish each other.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I never heard of this type of behavior. If someone is using a certain color that you usually choose, then it shouldn't be too difficult to change to a different one without any problems.

The Real Mr. M

Smash Rookie
I've never heard or seen any incidents regarding alt colors, but I would say it's an unwritten rule that usually applies more to ditto matchups than anything else. In the current scene I play in right now, there are two Pikachu users (including myself) that both use the standard skin, with neither of us having an issue with the other using it. In the event that we face each other, I just switch to the blue goggles skin.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
There's another side to it. Sometimes after a player plays a skin for sometime then you become known for that one. (Hbox with the green bandana jiggs.). If some one in your area was to play your same skin then I'd think it'd be fun to call a player out and MM for the skin. People do it in melee unless we're calling Chillin and Leffen petty for matching for fox color.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I ran into another yellow-colored Fox in bracket. I chose Fox and picked my color and he asked, "You use that color?" Me: "Yeah." Him: "I'll use a different color then."

He offered to switch, but I had another color (the gray/green one) that I felt comfortable with, so I switched colors. He 2-stocked me in our Fox ditto (out of 3 stocks) but we had a good 3-game set. (The first game was the only time either of us used Fox xD)

He was a regular at this tournament and he offered to switch before I even had the chance to do so.

I don't think this is an issue at all. Just be a decent person and talk to the guy/gal lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There are three palettes that I prefer to use whenever I use Rosalina. They include the default turquoise, red, and white; I don't care all that much for the other palette swaps for Rosalina.

Khao

Smash Lord
How do you even pick a color that hasn't been picked by another player? I'm pretty sure every character in the game is mained by quite a bit more than eight players already.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
How do you even pick a color that hasn't been picked by another player? I'm pretty sure every character in the game is mained by quite a bit more than eight players already.
Male WFT, Corrin or Robin.

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Never heard of a player "Owning" a color. I do know some players who are often play as a certain color character like Westballz' "Red Falco" but I've never heard of a player straight up owning a colour

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I say no, but I honestly say "get the **** off my color" whenever someone picks Red Marth or Default Ryu when I am using one of those two characters. I only really say that to my friends who know I'm just messing with them, I don't really care that much other than me just thinking "aww man, I wanted to use that color".

D

Deleted member 269706

I love to MM people for colors at my locals. Sure it's a douchey thing to do, but if they agree then in the end it's all in good fun. Usually you can't say you are the owner of a color unless you Bo5 or MM them for it. And even then there's really nothing keeping the loser to break the rules of the agreement.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
It's more of s respect thing with my scene, I'm of course known for playing Gr(ey)ninja and so far being one of the few who can play the frog no one really touches it. Other than that I play default link with a blue tunic or the skyward sword training outfit.

Gennerally though no one cares, unless it's for reasons like I have, my vision is bad enough to be legaly decalred blind, in which case I see certain colors or have trained my eyes to spot certain colors better than others and That's the only time I realy care is if I can't see my character well.

Yosheroce

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yosheroce
During the grand final of a 3v3 tournament i have been asked to change the color of my main yoshi that I always play in purple. We were red team so I can understand the purpose. But can't play it on an other color, I just switched character 8). Don't care if our adversaries were the best player of my country, we still won !

Beside of this nobody use the same color as me, there isn't a lot of yoshi mainer tho.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Honestly, I wouldn't really care if I play the same color as somebody else. If you're playing a ditto, then one of you should probably change color and it's up to you to be courteous and have that dialogue. If you're not, pick whatever color you like. If someone johns at you because "they thought they were playing <character> because that's the color they normally use" tough luck.

sc_nixon

Smash Rookie
I find it highly offensive that players own characters of a specific skin color. #endslavery

Top Bottom