• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Camera

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
What are the differences and which one do you like?
I'm going to use Mango vs. Hbox on Dreamland as an example
Melee Camera: Skip to 5:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQENHDa3rQ
PM Camera: Skip to 6:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk4DXUjG_WE
Personally I like the Melee camera more. It moves extremely fast and zooms in and out on the action giving the illusion that the game is even faster (I can understand this disorients people sometimes). I truly think the camera is what throws Melee vets off when they say PM is slower.
Tell me what you notice in both video's. Is the Puff/Fox MU played any differently? Differences that you notice. Dissect the match on Dreamland and tell me every little thing you notice between games. I'm intrigued by this.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see a better offstage camera to show people up until the blast-lines.
Before I wouldn't think this would be needed but as more characters like Zard and Pit show up more of the fighting is played there.

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
Melee camera. I like the focus to be on the characters as much and as close as possible. I like seeing just how close the spacing is for when something hits, doesn't hit, get's punished, trades, etc.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
P:M camera is usually more zoomed out which is jarring when transitioning.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
The Project M camera is already great, in my opinion at least. It's familiar for Melee players while having a bit of leeway for Brawl players. no need for further modifications.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
The Project M camera is already great, in my opinion at least. It's familiar for Melee players while having a bit of leeway for Brawl players. no need for further modifications.
Yeah it's just weird when you play both games. I'm pretty sure PM is just as fast as Melee. The camera in Melee though gave the illusion that things were faster.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
OMG i thought i was the only one who noticed this, thank ya jesus, anyways melee camera is much much better at showing all of the action, not to say the PM camera is bad or anything, it just seems like its a lot more spaced out and slower in general, plus it doesn't move around or zoom in as much, so i think the PMBR could work or tweak that some more, but i'm not a wizard so yeah

i also think that the rumble feature in PM isn't as strong as it was in melee, like i understand that theres still that whole 1 dead frame thing that seems to be one of the biggest papercuts to PM in terms of feeling on point, but i think things like rumble, camera, and SFX can go a realllllllllllllllllllllllly long way in how the game generally feels

so yeah, but PM camera needs some work, cuz its just slower and the battles are less entertaining to watch and play. Hell a friend of mine (who's not a melee veteran or anything but just plays with me) always complains about the old melee places like FD, DL, and YS bc he thinks the stages got alot bigger, i told him no they're the same size, then he said the character models must be bigger, then i said no almost all of them seem to be the same size, then he told me "well the ****ing camera then, its too wide and doesn't go in like in melee")

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
OMG i thought i was the only one who noticed this, thank ya jesus, anyways melee camera is much much better at showing all of the action, not to say the PM camera is bad or anything, it just seems like its a lot more spaced out and slower in general, plus it doesn't move around or zoom in as much, so i think the PMBR could work or tweak that some more, but i'm not a wizard so yeah

i also think that the rumble feature in PM isn't as strong as it was in melee, like i understand that theres still that whole 1 dead frame thing that seems to be one of the biggest papercuts to PM in terms of feeling on point, but i think things like rumble, camera, and SFX can go a realllllllllllllllllllllllly long way in how the game generally feels

so yeah, but PM camera needs some work, cuz its just slower and the battles are less entertaining to watch and play. Hell a friend of mine (who's not a melee veteran or anything but just plays with me) always complains about the old melee places like FD, DL, and YS bc he thinks the stages got alot bigger, i told him no they're the same size, then he said the character models must be bigger, then i said no almost all of them seem to be the same size, then he told me "well the ****ing camera then, its too wide and doesn't go in like in melee")
Yes yes and yes. Character sizes needs to be Melee sized (except the newcomers). Also Sixth Sense you can replace brawl's terrible sfx (they have like no impact!) with the rsbe engine and this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...l-sfx-updated-for-2-6b-readyyyyyyy-go.335236/

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i too love the crazy action melee camera. One of the big differences in the feeling of PM. PM seems somewhat tame in comparison just due to the camera.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, i too love the crazy action melee camera. One of the big differences in the feeling of PM. PM seems somewhat tame in comparison just due to the camera.
I really do feel it's the camera that makes the game feel slower. Besides that 1 frame thingy.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Actually me and my freind ran melee and pm together on DL64 and fox/falco in PM seem to be a different height than their melee equivalents. I can't remember for the life of me anymore who looked bigger.

But yeah, I think Melee is a more entertaining game to watch, and thats largely due ot the camera and certain sound effects. I think ideally, the final version of PM should replace certain sound effects with their melee parts selectively (Ness's fair, bair, Cfalcon's knee, etc.) and fix the camera. That should be in the default build.

But I also think the vibrant pack is also the best visual way to play this game.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
I like the Melee camera more. Like others have said, it is a lot more dynamic than the P:M one.

Melee cam also seems to be at a lower angle than the P:M one, though that may be stage specific.

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Camera speed has matched Melee since 2.0. Magus found the values and I ported them all.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
What accounts for the cameras operating so differently?

Yeah why does it? or better put what gives the illusion of the camera being slower, bc theres things like different moves being imported from melee and being 100% exactly the same as melee (like falcon's knee) yet it doesn't feel/look the same, simply bc theres some other factor (like the detection thingy) could all the other things make the camera seem slower by any chance? just really curious as to the why

Fortress

Smash Master
Nobody's going to close every single thread you started just because you're acting like an attention-deprived tosser in another.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Let's keep it open so we'll always have something to remember you by.

Fortress

Smash Master
Why? You're just acting like a child. Being an idiot who pisses and moans after some people on some thread call him out on the forum isn't grounds for having your account banned.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Because I have no one but when you have people talk you and your GF down for no reason than you can call me a child

Quag

Smash Rookie
Well this thread got off topic fast, but yeah maybe its me but I don't see I difference in any of the cameras. Maybe it's me not noticing.

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
Well this thread got off topic fast, but yeah maybe its me but I don't see I difference in any of the cameras. Maybe it's me not noticing.
Yeah. Anyways I agree like the PM camera because it doesn't go nuts. Although Melee's camera has it's charm.

Top Bottom