• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Calvinwars' Custom Project M 3.02

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
I would like to introduce my custom build of Project M 3.02! I have added and replaced many stages, added many costumes, and changed a lot of music, among other things. The build was made with competitive play in mind, but I still added many casual elements, so anyone can play it and be happy.

12 Stages were added through the Stage Expansion code, and many costumes were added using cbliss. The build is compatible with hackless or homebrew methods.

Here's an imgur album of all stage and costume changes with detailed descriptions.

Here's the full changelist including music changes.

And finally, here's the download link!

INSTALLATION:

1. Unzip the "Calvinwars' Custom 3.02.zip"
2. Simply put the new files on your SD Card
3. Load up Project M by Hackless or Homebrew!

Cross Post to /r/Smashbros: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/22wagx/calvinwars_custom_project_m_302/

Cross Post to /r/SSBPM: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/22wzly/calvinwars_custom_project_m_302/

Cross Post to /r/CustomSmash: (when reddit stops being annoying)

Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions! Contact me here or on Reddit, and I'll be happy to help.

I hope you enjoy my build!

Last edited:

Konuro Silver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Konuro Silver
3DS FC
0774-5097-4262
This is really nice. Not bad at all and I can't wait to see what else you add in the future.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
This is really nice. Not bad at all and I can't wait to see what else you add in the future.
Thanks for the response. I'm planning on eventually finishing the rest of the cast with high quality costumes or colors and rearranging the stages on Page 2. I really just need to do more research into colors, as the ones in this build were mostly plucked from other builds. For Page 2, I'm unsure on what would be the best organization of the stages. Should I separate the Expansion Stage from the others? Should I order them in terms of what game they came from (Smash 64, then Melee, etc.)? Should I try to get all of the moved stages back to their original places in Vanilla 3.02? The only thing I'm positive I'm going to do is move Training Stage to the middle, bottom row so it's easily selectable. Any help on how to organize the stages would be a great help.

Konuro Silver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Konuro Silver
3DS FC
0774-5097-4262
Hmm..I think you be separating the Expansion Stages by having the New stages in the 1st page and Unchanged in the 2nd page. And ordering them from games seems like a good idea. By the way,are you going to consider having characters with custom movesets?

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
My Build is meant to still be compatible with Competitive Play. If the Custom Moveset interrupts that, then no Custom Moveset. I'm not opposed to Taunt Moveset switches though, like the Ganondorf with Sword PSAs on here. As long as the original moveset stays intact, I'd consider adding it.

The stages I added to the first page aren't Expansion stages. They have My Music entries and are selectable by the Random Stage Select. I positioned the six stages I added to first page to correspond with each row (Top Row: Cool, Competitive Stages with some jank; Middle Row: Counterpicks; Bottom Row: Neutral). The 12 Stages that are expansion stages are Temple, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Snag the Trophies, Fourside, Pirate Ship, Bridge of Eldin, Brawl FD, Brawl PS2, Brawl WarioWare, Balanced Luigi's Mansion, and Brawl Galaxy. They aren't selectable via the Random Stage Select, and they don't have My Music entries. Should I separate those twelve stages from the rest because they don't have the same features? Or should I just link the Expansion Stages with their respective original game, i.e. Snag the Trophies goes with Great Bay, Brawl PS2 goes with Port Town, Brawl Galaxy with Gloam Valley, etc.?

Konuro Silver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Konuro Silver
3DS FC
0774-5097-4262
Well that all depends on you cause this is your build after all but imo...you should link the stages with their respesctive original games

Konuro Silver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Konuro Silver
3DS FC
0774-5097-4262
Okay...It took me 3 hours to load this but its done :p I hope its worth it...btw you know how I can replace some characters in the mod? My friend on steam tried to teach me to add and replace fighters in P:M and I still can't do it right...Mind teaching me, CalvinWars?

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
You mind if I use this as a base for my build?
I don't mind at all. I even used Nfreak's build as a base for mine, at least as far as cbliss goes.

Okay...It took me 3 hours to load this but its done :p I hope its worth it...btw you know how I can replace some characters in the mod? My friend on steam tried to teach me to add and replace fighters in P:M and I still can't do it right...Mind teaching me, CalvinWars?
I'm not very familiar with replacing characters, but AFAIK it's jut replacing the FitCharacterMotionEtc file and maybe the FitCharacter file in the character's folder in projectm\pf\fighter. Like with stages, characters are made from existing character bases, so they cannot go over anyone. For example, you can't put a Geno PSA over Mario if the Geno PSA is made from Toon Link. You may be able to fix that with .rel files (characters do have .rel files in the module folder), but I honestly have no idea. Also, unless characters are made specifically for Project M, there are going to be a lot of oddities and overall weird things.

As far as adding characters goes, I think that there's a mod or program or something that allows you to add characters to Brawl, but I don't think it's compatible with Project M.

Galen The Wise

Smash Apprentice
This build is honestly one of my personal favorites besides the official P:M and Theytah's build. I'd like to ask what else you plan to do with this build, but I'm sure that's something you'll share all in due time. Very good work, Calvin.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
This build is honestly one of my personal favorites besides the official P:M and Theytah's build. I'd like to ask what else you plan to do with this build, but I'm sure that's something you'll share all in due time. Very good work, Calvin.
Thanks a lot man. I made the build as I liked a lot of the content that others have created (especially Theytah) but still felt some builds strayed too far from what I wanted from Project M. I explained extensively what I plan to do with the build in the future at the end of the changelog that was in the OP, but essentially I want to finish the rest of the characters with cbliss costumes and rearrange the second page of stages. I'm probably going to arrange them by the game that the stages came from (Smash 64, then Melee, Brawl, PM, and new stages like Gloam Valley), but I'd love any additional input.

Galen The Wise

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot man. I made the build as I liked a lot of the content that others have created (especially Theytah) but still felt some builds strayed too far from what I wanted from Project M. I explained extensively what I plan to do with the build in the future at the end of the changelog that was in the OP, but essentially I want to finish the rest of the characters with cbliss costumes and rearrange the second page of stages. I'm probably going to arrange them by the game that the stages came from (Smash 64, then Melee, Brawl, PM, and new stages like Gloam Valley), but I'd love any additional input.
I just finished reading it. I hadn't taken the time to thoroughly go over it, my apologies. I do enjoy some of the songs that have been on stages like Smashville that came from Blazblue (I believe it was in the recent build that came from SmashStudios). But I did go over a lot of the songs last night. Big big thank you for putting "Dirty Kirby" in from Jcesar's song list.

I do agree with the notion of putting in more songs instead of replacing them. It adds more variety to the game. I would like to see to more costumes but I read that you'll be getting to that soon enough. Again, thank you for this build. I think it's one of the more solid mixes for competitive/casual. Haven't seen anyone add two of the same stages for that purpose e.g., Warioware with and without the random games. Good stuff.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
I just finished reading it. I hadn't taken the time to thoroughly go over it, my apologies. I do enjoy some of the songs that have been on stages like Smashville that came from Blazblue (I believe it was in the recent build that came from SmashStudios). But I did go over a lot of the songs last night. Big big thank you for putting "Dirty Kirby" in from Jcesar's song list.

I do agree with the notion of putting in more songs instead of replacing them. It adds more variety to the game. I would like to see to more costumes but I read that you'll be getting to that soon enough. Again, thank you for this build. I think it's one of the more solid mixes for competitive/casual. Haven't seen anyone add two of the same stages for that purpose e.g., Warioware with and without the random games. Good stuff.
I'm trying to keep the songs I add to original songs or remixes from the series the stage comes from, so I probably won't add any BlazBlue songs into the official build. You're more than welcome to put them in yourself (it's as easy as renaming some files if you don't know how to do it). Of the few songs outside the criteria I set above, they were just too good to pass on. Stand Up made too much of a great Menu song, Juicy Fruit I consider to be another theme of Smash because of its prevalence in the Smash documentary, and the songs on Subspace Emissary were the best from the original download, and that stage wouldn't really have too many fitting songs from Brawl anyway.

Chavelo

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to have just the stages/music on this build? I want to keep the character skins as PM stock as possible, but have the 12 stage expansion and your stage choices. What do I need to replace/leave alone to do that?

Last edited:

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to have just the stages/music on this build? I want to keep the character skins as PM stock as possible, but have the 12 stage expansion and your stage choices. What do I need to replace/leave alone to do that?
You'd have to do a lot of stuff in order to get it to work without the added costumes. You'd need to find the original RSBE codes with 12 expansion stages, reformat all of the stages to get them back in order, and then go through the tedious process of checking costumes to make sure that they work right. I rearranged the costumes of Marth's purple color and Toon Link's Outset costume to keep a consistent order, and had to do a few weird things like rearrange Peach's costumes to get the proper shadow/fire effects and Mewtwo's Green and Red colors, etc. It would be a lot of work to do that.

However, I did it anyway! Check the original download link available here to download a zip file of my build with the original vanilla 3.02 costumes! I didn't extensively check every individual costume like I did for the full build, so there may be some things out of place, but AFAIK I got everything. If you have any problems, don't be afraid to post again in the thread.

EDIT: Nevermind, I discovered quite a few issues with team colors for Roy, Squirtle, Charizard, and others. I'll make a fixed version shortly.
EDIT 2: I think I've fixed all of the issues! Here's an Updated Download link. If there are any problems, please post in this thread.

Last edited:

Chavelo

Smash Rookie
Oh dang! Haha, I was only looking for instructions for how to take out the costumes, but I really appreciate all the work you did on implementing cBliss. Your Project M build is pretty solid, and I will test out the updated build right away and let you know if there are any issues. Thank you very much for working on this, Calvin. :)

EDIT:

Bug #1 (I think it has already been stated): Main Menu song (Juicy Fruit) pauses at times, and makes the loading longer when the pause is in effect. Can be seen when you choose a stage while the pause is in effect, takes about 5 seconds for match to start instead of instantly (on homebrew). I don't think it's related to CSPs.

Last edited:

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Oh dang! Haha, I was only looking for instructions for how to take out the costumes, but I really appreciate all the work you did on implementing cBliss. Your Project M build is pretty solid, and I will test out the updated build right away and let you know if there are any issues. Thank you very much for working on this, Calvin. :)

EDIT:

Bug #1 (I think it has already been stated): Main Menu song (Juicy Fruit) pauses at times, and makes the loading longer when the pause is in effect. Can be seen when you choose a stage while the pause is in effect, takes about 5 seconds for match to start instead of instantly (on homebrew). I don't think it's related to CSPs.
That's weird; does the song not sound exactly like this? The song has pauses in it already and it sounds completely fine on my SD Card. I remember I had an issue with Dirty Kirby a couple months ago where it would cut out into a static version of the song, but I just deleted the file and put it back on there and it was fine. Also, it may be an issue with the SD Card in itself; have you tried defragging the SD Card? Try deleting Juicy Fruit (which is file "X02" in the projectm\pf\sound\strm folder) off the SD Card and placing it back onto the SD Card, and, if that doesn't work, try defragging your SD Card and then putting the files back onto it.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Nice to see two of my characters made the appearance in your pack! I really love when people do that, it reminds me that the stuff I do is eye candy :b:

Keep up the good work!

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for making the content! If it wasn't so good, I wouldn't have put it in my build. I really like your Yeti Boxer Donkey Kong (having to pick between Yeti DK and Boxer DK was a hard choice in Vanilla 3.0) and I may add some of your other textures in a future version. I especially like your Mango colors.

I started the build as just a personal collection of content that I liked so I didn't really keep track of where I got all of the Custom Content. When I decided to upload the pack, I was scared that creators would be upset that I didn't mention who created the content, and it really makes me feel better that you are happy to see it included. You're the one who should keep up the good work.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
When the downloaded this, the costumes weren't included. Did something go wrong?

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
I just got your pack and I'm really thrilled to see that cbliss, stage expansion and pm can all coexist! I was wanting to do some different things with the extra character colors though and was wondering what process you used to manipulate the cbliss code. Do you just use Mewtwo2000's cbliss tool or do you modify the code by hand? And if you do it by hand do you know of any good resources to explain that process?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks again for providing us with such an excellent base to work with!

EDIT: So I loaded up your pack (it's the "hopefully fixed version") and I'm having some problems. First it loaded through Gecko and just loaded up vbrawl. I got rid of gecko from the pack and put in the PM launcher and now it launches fine, just with no textures or cbliss slots. Am I being stupid and missing something here?

Last edited:

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
When the downloaded this, the costumes weren't included. Did something go wrong?
The costumes aren't included with the "with Vanilla 3.02 costumes". You may have downloaded the wrong version. The standard "Calvinwars' Custom 3.02" comes with the cbliss costumes.

will this work for usb?
If by USB you mean Homebrew methods, then yes. As far as I know it should work on USB. USB is the same as SD Card for loading content outside of the Hackless method, right?

I just got your pack and I'm really thrilled to see that cbliss, stage expansion and pm can all coexist! I was wanting to do some different things with the extra character colors though and was wondering what process you used to manipulate the cbliss code. Do you just use Mewtwo2000's cbliss tool or do you modify the code by hand? And if you do it by hand do you know of any good resources to explain that process?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks again for providing us with such an excellent base to work with!

EDIT: So I loaded up your pack (it's the "hopefully fixed version") and I'm having some problems. First it loaded through Gecko and just loaded up vbrawl. I got rid of gecko from the pack and put in the PM launcher and now it launches fine, just with no textures or cbliss slots. Am I being stupid and missing something here?
The "(hopefully fixed version)" is for the build with Vanilla 3.02 costumes, as in it has no other cbliss costumes. Someone earlier in the thread asked for a version without the cbliss costumes and I made a crappy version that I fixed with the "hopefully fixed" version. Cbliss messes with the team color positions for a few characters (The PT Pokemon, Roy, etc.) and the version I first made had incorrect listings for that.

As for your other questions, I used the cbliss tool to add cbliss to my build. The cbliss tool is really easy to use but it can have some irregularities. There were a few characters in my build that I had to change in order to get cbliss to full work. For example, Project M handles added costume slots as added costume slots; Ness got a new Pajama costume and it went over FitNess07. However, cbliss handles costumes by replacing them, so I had to rename the Pajama Ness costume to FitNess01 to go over an unused costume slot. Essentially, in order to use cbliss, all you need is the cbliss tool, Brawl Box, and a lot of patience to rigorously test your build.

Also, I'm sorry I took so long to answer everyone! After my build fell to the second page, I stopped checking it for replies frequently and it fell to the wayside. I'm sorry! I have a new version coming soonthat should have a reorganized second page of stages, new music, and (hopefully) full cbliss integration. However, it will be a lot of work (especially since many of the new skins I downloaded don't come with CSPs, which are a huge hassle to make) and, considering Project M 4.0 is probably going to be announced on Friday, I may just wait until 4.0 comes out to release version 2 of my build. Also, I go down to the beach for ~1-2 weeks on Friday, so I won't be able to work on it then.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Thank you so much! This is such an amazing build! This custom build will help me contain my hype when Smash 4 3DS comes out!

turboolimar

Smash Rookie
Do we need to delete the original project m download before adding, or do we just add to what we already have on our SD card?
Also when you click on the click for download it shows 3 different thing. Do you download them all or just the top one that says vanilla costume?
Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom