• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Calling it Now: Abe Lincoln as Smash 5's Joke Character! (Explanation Inside)

Would you play as Abe?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know many of you reading this are automatically thinking, "Troll! Lock this thread!" But hear me out. In today's Nintendo Direct, Abe was announced as a character for the game "Codename: Steam". Not only that, but he's a major character in the game!
Before you say, "Lincoln can't be in; he's not a video game character!" Know that THIS VERSION of Abe is both a video game character AND a Nintendo character. Just like Hades and Medusa from the KI series, Nintendo doesn't own THE characters, but they own THEIR ORIGINAL VERSIONS of the characters.
So where does Abe Lincoln fit into this? Well, he's a prime candidate for a joke character. He may seem unlikely, off the wall, or even stupid, but remember that this is a prerequisite to being a joke character. No one really asked for G&W in Melee, R.O.B. in Brawl (still technically a toy before a video game character), and WFT in Smash For Wii U & 3DS, but they all got in and are now loved characters in Smash.
So, what do you think? Would Abe Lincoln from Codename: Steam be a great joke character? Share your thoughts in this thread.
Please, no flaming... Please... I want to be semi-serious.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Pichu is the only true "joke character" we've ever gotten, and Pichu only got in because they had time to add clones. The three you mention are all perfectly legitimate additions and were definitely not considered to be jokes by Sakurai. Their popularity doesn't determine if they're joke characters or not, they're still important to Nintendo's history and many fans just weren't creative enough to consider them as possibilities.

The thing about G&W, R.O.B., and WFT is that they're all from franchises that haven't previously been seen in Smash Bros., and all very important to said franchises. Abe is not getting in before Henry, and if Henry does get in then it would make a lot more sense to add another main character before we get a joke character.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Every single time a new ip or character is shown in a direct someone opens a support thread.
I thought it was ridiculous when every Hyrule Warriors character got a thread.
This takes the cake.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Every single time a new ip or character is shown in a direct someone opens a support thread.
I thought it was ridiculous when every Hyrule Warriors character got a thread.
This takes the cake.
Damn right! :p It just struck me as a brilliant joke character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Don't get me wrong, I'd main President Lincoln in a heartbeat, but he is technically not eligible for inclusion as he didn't originate in a video game.

Under the new Character Discussion policy, I will have to close this thread:

Okay so...

"New Rules"
1. This board has been reopened due to the confirmation of DLC characters and is not meant to be a reinstatement of roster and character speculation.
2. To keep this area as concise as possible we will be restricting discussion to just those which are possible for inclusion. For now we assume that characters which are already implemented into the game in some way (Pokeball, Assist Trophy or Stage Boss) are not applicable for DLC.
3. Third party characters are possible, but they must have some relationship with Nintendo and are suitable in some way.

We don't wish to be draconian here, so things will be played by ear. Threads will not be immediately annihilated, but people should now take the time to consider making a social group and respect warnings or notices that we give of an incoming closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom