• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Calling all Falcos! Help vs. Zelda

Breakman6

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Falco players!

I'm having a particularly hard time beating a friend of mine who plays Zelda (not Sheik). I'd say we're about even in skill, usually the win goes to the person who makes less mistakes.

Any tips on how I can up my game vs. Zelda? Combos or moves that work particularly well and such would be a great help.

Thanks a lot! :D

Argonaut

Smash Cadet
It would help if I knew more about your general strategy and what your friend does. I also play Falco, but my knowledge of opponents who play Zelda is largely limited to the cpu. However, my biggest piece of advice is stay in close. Don't let yourself be a target for din's fire. Also, I'm going to assume your friend is a fan of Zelda's fair/bair kick because almost every Zelda player is. If he's better at hitting you when you're on the ground, stay in the air and vice versa. More details from you would help.

Breakman6

Smash Rookie
Ah okay!

Yes, he's a huge user of the din's fire. He's a big ground player, doesn't do much in the air except for the boot when he can and the up explosion. He usually just uses the din's fire to do all his aerial work. He's nasty with smashes in all directions, using the down smash for quickness, and the forward smash to weaken my shield (he usually doesn't connect it unless I make a mistake). He's good at timing his rolls and using the down smash, as well as getting out of the chain grab. (can only do it twice before he escapes usually, so I just do 2 and follow up with a neutral air) My main way of damaging people is taking them in the air, which is Falco's forte, but I'm afraid of Zelda because she seems to be surrounded by her attacks when she does them, making it hard for me to hit her. (Does she have greater priority in the air than Falco?)

anyway hope that helps a bit. I'll add more after some further anylization.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I've got a problem with a Zelda. He's been Zelda/Sheik since Melee came out (apparently), and it shows. Come in with aerials I guess... I usually kill him with spikes since Zelda's air movement is pretty slow. Sidestep dodging the forward smash and following up with whatever works for me too.

Argonaut

Smash Cadet
Hmm. Do you shield grab much? That might put a kink in his ground style. Especially the down smash as it doens't have much pushing power. Though I'm guessing if you chain grab, you probably shield grab too. I like to use his reflector as a lead in when on the ground. His gun works too, but if your friend likes to reflect, that could be a problem. Mix it up. As for air priority, good question. You should probably check with someone more knowledgable about that than I am. Maybe one of the guide writers.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Ah okay!

Yes, he's a huge user of the din's fire. He's a big ground player, doesn't do much in the air except for the boot when he can and the up explosion. He usually just uses the din's fire to do all his aerial work. He's nasty with smashes in all directions, using the down smash for quickness, and the forward smash to weaken my shield (he usually doesn't connect it unless I make a mistake). He's good at timing his rolls and using the down smash, as well as getting out of the chain grab. (can only do it twice before he escapes usually, so I just do 2 and follow up with a neutral air) My main way of damaging people is taking them in the air, which is Falco's forte, but I'm afraid of Zelda because she seems to be surrounded by her attacks when she does them, making it hard for me to hit her. (Does she have greater priority in the air than Falco?)

anyway hope that helps a bit. I'll add more after some further anylization.

Nah, your friend should be easy to beat.

What you have do is:

-Block all his dins fires with shine.
-Chain-grab him for as much as possible.
-You say hes good at timing his rolls? Lots of Fsmashes.
-Stay close to him, don't wonder off and camp. In a good distance. WAIT FOR HIM TO USE DINS FIRE, reflect, then run and dash him.
-Your going to have to do a lot of sheilding, shining and rolling. Play it defensive. As soon as you see an opening, run in and dash.
-As long as you use that chain-grab at the beginning, you've got a possible 30-50% lead and then playing defensive and spacing is what will rack up the damage to 100-120%. Also remember to AAA after a dash attack. Thats if you get the chance.
-When hes high hp (100+%) shine him continously until he trips. Once hes tripped, FSmash him. If he rolls towards you and not away from you, your FSmash will most likely still work because he'll be right next to you (either side).
-You said its usually a close game? Well the chain-grab ensures you've got a minimal lead of about 30%, so spacing should further ensure your less than 80% when you've done your first KO.
-When he returns for his second stock, play very defensive and rack up damage. He'll expect a chain-grab most likely so pretend to be running up to him and just play furious on him when your close, then go back defensive, not letting one Dins fire. Though if you see the chance for a chain-grab, use it.
-Repeat all steps. Shine to trip + FSmash, ensures easy KO.

More advice: Go into practice mode against a lvl 7 Zelda. Practice ground and air attacks on a standing Zelda. For about 10 mins, then go into an attacking Zelda for 10 minutes, then go into a jumping Zelda for 10 minutes, try all your techniques and everything. Do a bit of camping also so she'll throw Dins fires at you for practice. 30-60 mins of this for 2 days will increase your skill and also get you used to Zeldas move set. When you go and fight your friend again, you'll KO!

I have only ever played a Zelda CPU, but from what you've said I can give you some good advice even though I've never played a human Zelda. Plus, I barely fight Zeldas, I might have to start =P

Top Bottom