• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cake Full of Nub - A combo video that also includes a strange glitch

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
What's up swf! I recently put together my first melee combo video.
This past year I've found such a love for this game! I went to my first 2 tournaments and discovered how awesome the community is.
The combos in this video aren't as high-caliber as you pros put up, but my goal is to improve over time, then put out AMAZING combo videos in the future!

I now present to you "Cake Full of Nub"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmpPlkQ2sIs

I really hope you enjoy!

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
If I remember correctly whenever Ganon's up b from the ground gets interrupted he zips back into starting place - back to the ground

metroid1117

Smash Master
DoH is right, this is an old glitch that Magus (? I think it was Magus) explained a long time ago. There's a video that explains it, but I couldn't find the video and instead found a 3-yr-old replication of the glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9V0_rj4cM). Apparently, it only works for the first version of Melee (1.0). I think it occurs because the game "thinks" that Ganondorf is still on the ground after performing a grounded up+B, but when he is hit in the air he will "teleport" back to the ground because that's where the game "believes" he is.

Regarding the actual combo video, it's hard to make new videos nowadays because the game has become so advanced and there are now so many good examples of great combos even on players that know how to DI. Going off of the combo videos of today, the video was all right.

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
DoH is right, this is an old glitch that Magus (? I think it was Magus) explained a long time ago. There's a video that explains it, but I couldn't find the video and instead found a 3-yr-old replication of the glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9V0_rj4cM). Apparently, it only works for the first version of Melee (1.0). I think it occurs because the game "thinks" that Ganondorf is still on the ground after performing a grounded up+B, but when he is hit in the air he will "teleport" back to the ground because that's where the game "believes" he is.

Regarding the actual combo video, it's hard to make new videos nowadays because the game has become so advanced and there are now so many good examples of great combos even on players that know how to DI. Going off of the combo videos of today, the video was all right.
Wow nice, so I have the first version of melee.
Yea, the video is definitely not up to par with today's combo videos, but it should work well as a starting point on my road to improving at the game. When I get better and make better combo videos, I hope I can use this to reflect on my progress! Thanks for checking out the video though. :bee:

KingKAH

Smash Rookie
Wow nice, so I have the first version of melee.
Yea, the video is definitely not up to par with today's combo videos, but it should work well as a starting point on my road to improving at the game. When I get better and make better combo videos, I hope I can use this to reflect on my progress! Thanks for checking out the video though. :bee:
Maybe it's just me, and don't take this the wrong way, but it seemed that one of your bigger issues was fluency. I'd highly suggest you play against level 1 CPU's WITH YOUR MAIN, and just practice your combo's over and over and over and whenever they die just try to wavedash and waveland on everything in the stage so your movement as well as combos will be sped up.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
@ this falcon: do you know, what "Wavedash" means?
You realize wavedashing isn't THAT important. right? I mean it's helpful but in a combo video of this caliber (no offense, I couldn't do any better :D), it's really not even necessary. Wavedashing is more important as a defensive maneuver (or offensive for characters like mewtwo, luigi, and marth) but in that case, it doesn't even need to show up unless its in a match.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
You realize wavedashing isn't THAT important. right? I mean it's helpful but in a combo video of this caliber (no offense, I couldn't do any better :D), it's really not even necessary. Wavedashing is more important as a defensive maneuver (or offensive for characters like mewtwo, luigi, and marth) but in that case, it doesn't even need to show up unless its in a match.
I was about say that I disagree, but then I realized we were talking about Falcon exclusively.

Yeah, Falcon combo vids rarely involve wavedashing, although full wavelands make for the sexiest of combos.

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's just me, and don't take this the wrong way, but it seemed that one of your bigger issues was fluency. I'd highly suggest you play against level 1 CPU's WITH YOUR MAIN, and just practice your combo's over and over and over and whenever they die just try to wavedash and waveland on everything in the stage so your movement as well as combos will be sped up.
Great suggestion man thanks! Next time I fire up melee I'll try that.

Top Bottom