• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick tilts like sm4sh?

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
So one thing i really liked in sm4sh was the ability to set the c-stick to tilts instead of smash attacks. I've always struggled with tilts always coming out as smashes. I went back to pm and noticed that it too has the option to "attack" instead of "smash", however, only side tilts are registered, up and down are smashes, and even then only forward comes out as tilt, back on the stick comes out as normal attack.

Why is this? Is it on purpose? I for one would love it if it was like in sm4sh and would greatly help me get better at the game

Narpas_sword

something to do with the changes they made from brawl to PM.
i think relating to what attack comes out when crouching. Someone will have to confirm.

As far as helping you get better, learning to control the stick yourself by using a tilt with the stick will lead into many more techs that require precise stick input.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Narpas has it right on all counts. In Brawl, if you hold up or down on the control stick, and tilt the c-stick in the same direction, you get a tilt instead of a smash. Project M changes this, so the c-stick always gives a smash by default, but in doing so it causes the interaction you've noticed.

This being changed wouldn't make you better at the game. Good analog control has many more applications than just tilts.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
As someone who struggled with tilts for a long time, I can tell you that you're going to have to adopt that level of precision and control over the control stick for so many more things that doing tilts will be the least of your problems. So regardless, like it or not, you're going to need to have that dexterity to get better in general anyway.

I literally don't think I've legit gotten an input error/smash out of a tilt attempt in... months, if not longer. I mean, assuming a fairly normal environment. Like, not wi-fi and not during extreme tech moments, I guess?

I dunno, it's just not a problem for me anymore. I mis-input a higher percentage for L-cancels than tilts, I'll put it that way. Probably could chalk it up as a 99% tilt success rate.

My advice is just to learn how to move the stick efficiently. You want your tilt to come out asap, but you don't wanna flick it. "Glide it" I'd say is a good way to think of it. I find just barely moving the stick up/left/right/down does the trick. Like, you shouldn't have to move your thumb further than halfway to the stick barriers to execute a tilt, I'm pretty sure.

Furthermore, practice it. In particular, practice it out of L-cancelled aerials. I find this movement much more fluid than anything. I seem to prefer, aerial with L-cancel > uptilt. Not sure why. The time it takes for you to land and L-cancel should be enough time to move your stick to the proper position.

This is by no means a perfect or single-best way to learn it. We're all different. The above is just how I feel about it.

Last edited:

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely your method Eisen thanks

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
I suspect sm4sh removing Smash-attacks from the C-stick was an intentional nerf to the Gamecube controller, to remove the advantage having the C-stick gave over other control schemes. That being the case, don't intentionally nerf yourself :p

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
I suspect sm4sh removing Smash-attacks from the C-stick was an intentional nerf to the Gamecube controller, to remove the advantage having the C-stick gave over other control schemes. That being the case, don't intentionally nerf yourself :p
its not like they forced it, by default the c stick is set to smash, you have to go to control options and set it to attack in order to use the tilts

Top Bottom